Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report)
Quote | Reply
This past weekend, I had the privilege to be a part of the original Ultraman race in Penticton BC, Canada. There is no way I can fully capture or recap 3 days of crazy racing, but I have to try. Often these events are about the personal journey and the battle to get to the start and finish of the darn event - which in itself, is a worthy feat.

This past weekend was that, and it it was also a full on race.

I went into the event, feeling good and looking forward to a new challenge, as a few KQ fails over the past several years, lead me to a break from long distance racing. Coming back, I wanted a new challenge to invest my efforts into, and to me, this race seemed liked the one to do. So a year and half ago, I signed up and began getting myself back into tri life :)

I don't want this to be too long, so I'm going to speed things up (I have a plane to catch!). After day 1 & 2 of the race (which combine 10km of swimming and 425.6km of cycling), I had a very narrow 2min and 49sec lead over Berry Berg and only about a 16min lead over 3rd place racer, Kevin Esser.

Day 3 of the race is the Double Marathon. An 84.4km trek of hilly running on a mix of pavement and mostly dirt roads, surrounded by gorgeous lakes and mountain views. The 3 of us started out together, but after about 3km, the race went back to "full on", as it had been the previous 2 days! Kevin began separating himself from Barry and I, as he knew he had time to make up and he wasn't going to let either of us, just have the win.

Neither I or Barry felt ready to go with him, so we remained shoulder to shoulder for the next 26-28km of running. At the 10km mark, Kevin had put 2+ minutes into both of us, and legendary race announcer Steve King was there to give the splits and be sure we knew things were very interesting!

At around 28km, I began opening up a small gap on Barry. This wasn't planned, but it just happened. I was nervous, as this was my first Ultraman and I knew Barry was a veteran racer, with 4x Kona finishes under his belt (he wasn't likely to screw his plan up!). I kept rolling along, keeping my heartrate in range and my crew of 3, continued their phenomenal support, giving me everything I needed (as they had all weekend!).

Between 55 and 65km, we started hitting some unexpectedly hard climbs. The heat had also risen, and the grind was setting in. My pace started to slow, and my pacer let me know, that I'd likely be seeing Barry again, as he was managing to latch back onto me.

Sure enough, Barry and his crew made the catch around the 65km mark, and then it was on...again! He and his crew led and lifted the pace. Now we were throwing down low 5min km splits again, which after 3 days of racing and 70km of running felt even faster! There were some brutal decents, as we closed nearer to the end, that just had our quads screaming. I knew if I could just hang on long enough, that he'd run out of real estate, and thankfully, I was able to.

Kevin had courageously remained in front of us the entire run, but the gap never got so big, that it would be enough to move him up a spot or two. In the final km's my pacer rejoined me, and together we went to the finish, just 13 seconds ahead of Barry and his crew!

My final run split was 7:49:01 (5:32/km), giving me a 3 day total of 23:41:41. The final gap to second place Barry Berg, was only 3:02! That's like 1 second in a 5km race... Still can't believe it!

My hat is off to both Barry and Kevin for making me race to my best. We certainly won't ever forget the battle that we shared, and I am just thrilled that I was able to be a part of such an awesome race and event!

I certainly would recommend this race to anyone who is considering the distance - the course, Steve Brown (RD) and his team, are world class! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them, but I'll be in the air most of the day, as I travel back home to Ontario, so bear with me.

Geez.. I can't believe I just wrote a race report that was mostly about the run. I only run, because it comes after the swim and the bike! ;)

Thanks for reading!

Jon Bell
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to do Ultraman Florida as is my home turf. What is the training difference from Ironman up to Ultraman?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with the fitness you display this weekend....i think a KQ should not be a issue. that was a lot of fun to see you and barry and kevin have a go at each other all weekend long!

enjoy some rest! great work from you and your team!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was following along online all weekend and you guys did a great job,well done.That event is hands down my favourite race of all time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONGRATS!!! Awesome race and RR!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Jon! I was on Arnold's crew and got to see a lot of your success over the three days. Question for you-how did you manage the swim with your paddler and nutrition? What kind of tips would you give for the race day execution of the swim? I ask because most swimmers couldn't stand up without assistance as they got out of the water. I get it, a 10k swim is a beast but wondered if you had any insight on how you executed it as you looked better than just about anyone coming out. Again, great work. Now go KQ!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
I want to do Ultraman Florida as is my home turf. What is the training difference from Ironman up to Ultraman?

For me, the biggest change I made was in my swim volume. I had never done anything over an IM swim in that discipline, so my weekly volume went way up (I'm was around 375,000m for this calender year going into the event). As the race got closer I obviously stretched the long workouts, and had several OW swims in the 7k range. This was really helpful because 7k in OW is much different than the pool.

The other benefit in doing this increase was in core and aerobic capacity, without the higher risk of injury that (for me) running can bring.

Thanks.. And good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
with the fitness you display this weekend....i think a KQ should not be a issue. that was a lot of fun to see you and barry and kevin have a go at each other all weekend long!

enjoy some rest! great work from you and your team!

Thanks Jonnny!! It was an amazing weekend, and your encouragement on the course was a welcome sound!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I was following along online all weekend and you guys did a great job,well done.That event is hands down my favourite race of all time.

Thank you! It's definitely going to be hard for me to top that race! The course, the crew and everything all together, was almost surreal!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [marathoner31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marathoner31 wrote:
Congratulations Jon! I was on Arnold's crew and got to see a lot of your success over the three days. Question for you-how did you manage the swim with your paddler and nutrition? What kind of tips would you give for the race day execution of the swim? I ask because most swimmers couldn't stand up without assistance as they got out of the water. I get it, a 10k swim is a beast but wondered if you had any insight on how you executed it as you looked better than just about anyone coming out. Again, great work. Now go KQ!!

Thanks Neil! Its funny you ask this, because it was the least practiced thing in training, due to the inherent challenges. I did one OW event with a kayaker prior to this, and I learned that if left to my own decision, I'd wait too long to fuel, loose track of time, and get myself in trouble.

For the 520, I had decided that my paddler would signal every 40 minutes. On that interval, I stopped and ate 1 Fruit 2 bar (100cals), and would take a few sips of naked flavour Tailwind.

I prefer liquid nutrition, but I didn't think I could stomach drinking as much volume as I'd need to give me the cals, so those bars were small, quick easy ways to make sure I was getting something. It seemed to work out well. I never felt hungry, and the stomach felt good.

Thanks for the support and encouragement! Great sharing the 520 with you guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is this years race video and I must say it is pretty awesome.They sure never made 'em like this when my fat ass was waddling around the course..(Thank heaven for that) :-)
https://vimeo.com/...mYLKGsFiLLEPjUFqsSG0
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! Ya, they did a great job with race pics and coverage! 👌
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge congrats Jon. I was crewing for Rebecca Ball, so the only time I ever saw you was at each day's start line. HA. We, in the back, can't even process how the hell you guys managed to move so fast for so long. Just amazing.

Also amazing: your heart rate strap tan line.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountain_erin wrote:
Huge congrats Jon. I was crewing for Rebecca Ball, so the only time I ever saw you was at each day's start line. HA. We, in the back, can't even process how the hell you guys managed to move so fast for so long. Just amazing.

Also amazing: your heart rate strap tan line.

Hahaha, thx so much! I guess you could say that I'm kinda addicted to my HR metrics so I've just come to embrace the look, and the tan line that goes with it! 😜

Cheers to you for helping crew, and I wish you all the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll gladly bump this one back up Jon. Firstly, congrats on a great report and a superbly executed race!

Secondly, I might be mad. Whilst sat on the bike during Roth last month, I was counting down the KMs as I vowed never to do another IM distance race again. Then I read your report and I'm strangely curious again!

I like the format - nasty swim (for me) followed by a tough ride on the first day. Second day, just a long ride. Third day, just a long run (and I could probably walk that in 12 hours). Never say never!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon, sorry I didn't see this before when originally posted. I must have been on the 35 hour drive home after the race.
That race was awesome. I was very exciting for me. Thank you for pushing me to my limits as well. You and Barry are 2 tough guys. Congratulations again on your win, you earned it!
Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
This past weekend, I had the privilege to be a part of the original Ultraman race in Penticton BC, Canada. There is no way I can fully capture or recap 3 days of crazy racing, but I have to try. Often these events are about the personal journey and the battle to get to the start and finish of the darn event - which in itself, is a worthy feat.

This past weekend was that, and it it was also a full on race.

I went into the event, feeling good and looking forward to a new challenge, as a few KQ fails over the past several years, lead me to a break from long distance racing. Coming back, I wanted a new challenge to invest my efforts into, and to me, this race seemed liked the one to do. So a year and half ago, I signed up and began getting myself back into tri life :)

I don't want this to be too long, so I'm going to speed things up (I have a plane to catch!). After day 1 & 2 of the race (which combine 10km of swimming and 425.6km of cycling), I had a very narrow 2min and 49sec lead over Berry Berg and only about a 16min lead over 3rd place racer, Kevin Esser.

Day 3 of the race is the Double Marathon. An 84.4km trek of hilly running on a mix of pavement and mostly dirt roads, surrounded by gorgeous lakes and mountain views. The 3 of us started out together, but after about 3km, the race went back to "full on", as it had been the previous 2 days! Kevin began separating himself from Barry and I, as he knew he had time to make up and he wasn't going to let either of us, just have the win.

Neither I or Barry felt ready to go with him, so we remained shoulder to shoulder for the next 26-28km of running. At the 10km mark, Kevin had put 2+ minutes into both of us, and legendary race announcer Steve King was there to give the splits and be sure we knew things were very interesting!

At around 28km, I began opening up a small gap on Barry. This wasn't planned, but it just happened. I was nervous, as this was my first Ultraman and I knew Barry was a veteran racer, with 4x Kona finishes under his belt (he wasn't likely to screw his plan up!). I kept rolling along, keeping my heartrate in range and my crew of 3, continued their phenomenal support, giving me everything I needed (as they had all weekend!).

Between 55 and 65km, we started hitting some unexpectedly hard climbs. The heat had also risen, and the grind was setting in. My pace started to slow, and my pacer let me know, that I'd likely be seeing Barry again, as he was managing to latch back onto me.

Sure enough, Barry and his crew made the catch around the 65km mark, and then it was on...again! He and his crew led and lifted the pace. Now we were throwing down low 5min km splits again, which after 3 days of racing and 70km of running felt even faster! There were some brutal decents, as we closed nearer to the end, that just had our quads screaming. I knew if I could just hang on long enough, that he'd run out of real estate, and thankfully, I was able to.

Kevin had courageously remained in front of us the entire run, but the gap never got so big, that it would be enough to move him up a spot or two. In the final km's my pacer rejoined me, and together we went to the finish, just 13 seconds ahead of Barry and his crew!

My final run split was 7:49:01 (5:32/km), giving me a 3 day total of 23:41:41. The final gap to second place Barry Berg, was only 3:02! That's like 1 second in a 5km race... Still can't believe it!

My hat is off to both Barry and Kevin for making me race to my best. We certainly won't ever forget the battle that we shared, and I am just thrilled that I was able to be a part of such an awesome race and event!

I certainly would recommend this race to anyone who is considering the distance - the course, Steve Brown (RD) and his team, are world class! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them, but I'll be in the air most of the day, as I travel back home to Ontario, so bear with me.

Geez.. I can't believe I just wrote a race report that was mostly about the run. I only run, because it comes after the swim and the bike! ;)

Thanks for reading!

Jon Bell

Hey your performance on day 3 is really determined by how well you pace and fuel on day 1 and day 2. How did you load up during the racing on day 2 to achieve your day 3 goals. The problem with this type of racing is that the slower you go while racing the less recovery and refuel time you have to race start the next day, so you're balancing going fast on that day with staying topped up both for that day and the next day. Also how as day 1 going from lying flat for 3ish hours to hammering on the bike. I recently did a long distance swim event and found that it took me several hours to just get land legs going.

Also I assume there are no relay teams. I would be interested in swim-biking. I don't think I can nor should even dream of running that far given my health.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
palmtrees wrote:

For me, the biggest change I made was in my swim volume. I had never done anything over an IM swim in that discipline, so my weekly volume went way up (I'm was around 375,000m for this calender year going into the event). As the race got closer I obviously stretched the long workouts, and had several OW swims in the 7k range. This was really helpful because 7k in OW is much different than the pool.

The other benefit in doing this increase was in core and aerobic capacity, without the higher risk of injury that (for me) running can bring.

Thanks.. And good luck!

Great job on running those last bunch of k's sub 5 pace. That's insane after all those weeks.

I also agree on banging out some long distance lake swims in the wetsuit. Its a world of difference from the pool

Well I got the increased swimming volume thing covered these days (I'm the 100km swimmer per month). Sadly my running volume for the year has JUST surpassed the swim LOL. So unless I am going to swim the ultramarathon, I think this is just a pipe dream.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:

I'll agree with a previous reply and say swim training. I hate to swim, so do very little of it. But I usually do triple the amount of swimming training leading up to my UMs versus IMs.

I also greatly increase my long ride and tend to do back-to-back days of 5-6 hours on Day 1 and 8-9 hours on Day 2. For my first one I actually did a few rides of 10+ hours and one ride at 12 hours since I was worried about making the cutoff and wanted to know mentally that I could be in the saddle for that long.

As for running, I don't do anything different from IM. The increased bike mileage more than makes up for the extra running miles (for me anyway, everyone is different) My wife has achillies issues and did very little running mileage in her lead up. Her longest run was only 13 miles, but she managed to break 9:30 for the double marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You made a very solid point in regards to recovery.

For us Ultra-Back-of-the-Packers, although we are not going as hard, we have a lot less time for recovery.

By the time I finished the ride on day two, waited about 90 minutes to get my massage, got the massage, traveled to the restaurant, ordered, ate, and unpacked at the hotel, it was close to 9.

Not a great set-up for that evil walk to Summerland, but that's what we signed up for, right?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
I'll gladly bump this one back up Jon. Firstly, congrats on a great report and a superbly executed race!

Secondly, I might be mad. Whilst sat on the bike during Roth last month, I was counting down the KMs as I vowed never to do another IM distance race again. Then I read your report and I'm strangely curious again!

I like the format - nasty swim (for me) followed by a tough ride on the first day. Second day, just a long ride. Third day, just a long run (and I could probably walk that in 12 hours). Never say never!

Thanks! You never know what you'll end up doing. There's certainly a lot worse things to fall for! ;) UM is an awesome format, imho. The stage - style race and use of a crew were both huge "likes" for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
Jon, sorry I didn't see this before when originally posted. I must have been on the 35 hour drive home after the race.
That race was awesome. I was very exciting for me. Thank you for pushing me to my limits as well. You and Barry are 2 tough guys. Congratulations again on your win, you earned it!
Kevin

Thanks Kev! Glad you've made it home safely. Hope you are doing well and enjoying some recovery ðŸ‘
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I am curious about the following

Final 12 weeks average weekly hours
Average week run mileage in that period
Max week run mileage
Max week bike mileage
Max week swim mileage

Which weeks did you do your max week in each sport. If know for Ironman training Pierre Lavoie who has won my age group in Kona many times would do his big volume run+swim on one week and big volume bike the next and third week was low mileage in all three. He found the 2 weeks "on" one week "off" perfect. I would think such a structure would be perfect for Ultraman just like it is if you want to win your age group in Kona....there is only so much energy to burn through in a week around work and family and training.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra 520K Canada 2019 (race report) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hey your performance on day 3 is really determined by how well you pace and fuel on day 1 and day 2. How did you load up during the racing on day 2 to achieve your day 3 goals. The problem with this type of racing is that the slower you go while racing the less recovery and refuel time you have to race start the next day, so you're balancing going fast on that day with staying topped up both for that day and the next day. Also how as day 1 going from lying flat for 3ish hours to hammering on the bike. I recently did a long distance swim event and found that it took me several hours to just get land legs going.

Also I assume there are no relay teams. I would be interested in swim-biking. I don't think I can nor should even dream of running that far given my health.[/quote]
Thank Dev, you are certainly correct. I have never been as mindful for fueling in race, and post race (each night) as I was at this event, and it made a huge difference. The weighed us in each morning and night, and I was always within a oind each morning of where I started the event, and never lost more in a day than 3%.
My nutrition on day 2 was 98% Tailwind, water & salt pills lol. I had a couple "Fruit 2" bars, but they are only 100cals, and we're more just for a change of pace sugar boost.

As soon as I crossed the line each day, my wife had my 1st recovery (protein) drink ready for me, and a protein bar. I'd have another protein drink after supper, along with one or two big cups of electrolyte mix in the evenings. Plus meals, of course.

In some ways, the day 1 transition from swim to bike was the "hardest" for me. The good thing is that the first 50k of the bike is pretty flat and net downhill, so I just focused on fueling (getting caught up, out of the water) and spinning easy. The body came around after that section, but the neck and back definitely let me know I had just swam 10k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get your application accepted by UM? Is it really hard to even get accepted to race the event?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply

Prev Next