Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra R8000 (mech) to SRAM Rival - upgrade?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about switching to 1) electronic shifting and 2) SRAM.

I am considering going to SRAM Rival with a Force crankset.

Is this an upgrade? Is it worth it (I know...depends)? Etc?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra R8000 (mech) to SRAM Rival - upgrade? [lightning33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Electronic is an upgrade. Moving from Shimano is a downgrade imo. 105 di2 looks like a nice option.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra R8000 (mech) to SRAM Rival - upgrade? [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get a deal on the SRAM; that's the only reason (well, and I think I might like the ergonomics of their shifters more maybe) I was leaning SRAM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultegra mech to Rival AXS is not really an apples to apples comparison.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of electronic shifting. All of my bikes now (except for my single speeds) have it. However, it's not necessarily an upgrade. It will not in anyway make you faster but it is oh so nice!

I've got both Di2 and AXS bikes and personally I simply prefer Di2.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightning33 wrote:
Thinking about switching to 1) electronic shifting and 2) SRAM.

I am considering going to SRAM Rival with a Force crankset.

Is this an upgrade? Is it worth it (I know...depends)? Etc?

Thanks.

I definitely see a big plus of electronic shifting on the TT bike but I still don’t need it on the Roadbike, no doubt it is nice there too though
Running a R7000 and if it’s dialed in right there is nothing to complain

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightning33 wrote:
I can get a deal on the SRAM; that's the only reason (well, and I think I might like the ergonomics of their shifters more maybe) I was leaning SRAM.

I got a deal on moving my TT bike from R8000 to SRAM Rival and honestly if I had to do it again would've stayed on Shimano and just paid the bit extra to put Di2 on it. Ended up having to change freehub bodies on a couple of wheels plus more limited with chainring options, and Shimano has better front shifting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running ultegra mech on my road bike, messed around a bit on my friend's bike yesterday with red AXS. I can't say I really thought the AXS shifted better. If anything, I actually had a harder time making it shift when I wanted. Admittedly, most of this was probably unfamiliar shifter ergonomics, but still, wouldn't say I consider it an upgrade, probably a lateral move.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra R8000 (mech) to SRAM Rival - upgrade? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
It will not in anyway make you faster but it is oh so nice!

I've got both Di2 and AXS bikes and personally I simply prefer Di2.

Been on 12 speed Ultegra Di2 from mechanical Ultegra. Yup, soooo nice. But now I'm starting to think it "can" make you faster. For myself, w/mechanical, I was reluctant to get on the small ring up front to climb a short hill. Now, since I can shift back up w/my pinky, I find myself shifting in that, and many other situations. There is no loss of momentum with Di2. Well, I think so at least.
Quote Reply