Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question
Quote | Reply
So I'm building up a Shiv with Ultegra Di2 6870 components and need some help. I've gotten everything hooked up with a charged battery and...nothing happens when I shift. Is there something I have to do to get the group set working for the 1st time? My setup is below, everything is brand new 11 speed, e-tube compatible.

TT shifters (bar end and base bar)-->junction A-->junction B-->external battery, RD, FD

Battery is fully charged. When I hold down the shifting buttons and the A junction button nothing happens. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem on a recent build. Took it to my LBS and they updated the firmware and everything worked fine. Even though it's new, there have been some updates if it's been sitting on the shelf a few months.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree that it's probably a firmware issue. You can update firmware yourself using the battery charger and connecting it to your PC. The other issue is to make sure that the connections are all fully seated properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
download e tube software and connect your PC to your Junction A; update all firmware.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone download the etube software?
I thought only Shimano dealers could.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna have to take it to LBS for the firmware update. We are a Mac only family :( I believe the software updates only work with a PC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Gonna have to take it to LBS for the firmware update. We are a Mac only family :( I believe the software updates only work with a PC.

Look what I just googled:
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

iPad edition now available...
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone can download it as far as i know. i have it on my home pc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

Look what I just googled:
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

iPad edition now available...

I tried the iPad edition on my Mac and it laughed at me (I don't have an iPad so that was my last resort). I didn't have a PC either so had to take it to LBS.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm a bit confused by this iPad app and what I would need to add to my system. Can I just add the D-fly transmitter to my current setup? I have the external battery with the BMR-2S battery mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the iPad app, you need the new internal battery with "110" in the battery name or the newest external battery mount (I think, though I have the new internal battery and newest d-fly), and the new version of the d-fly. And you may still need to initially update the firmware with a PC.

A problem I ran into on a recent build was accidentally plugging in my old battery, not the new one, and with the new d-fly plugged in on the system, nothing worked including charging because the new d-fly firmware was not compatible at all with the old internal battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [ia_triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the only part of my system that's used is the battery itself. Not sure how old it is. Battery mount and all other parts are new. Could the old battery be the problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait, battery mount?

if you have the old battery you cannot do this yourself at home (unless you have the e-tube diagnostic device, which is like $120). you need to take it to a dealer to update your firmware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt you have the new d fly and battery. They just came out in the last month. As stated, you need both items to be able to use the Bluetooth enabled iPad app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me. I was stumped. Downloaded e-tube software to my laptop. I bought the internal battery charge cable. It also acts as the download cable when plugged into a laptop instead of a wall electrical plug. Crazy huh!

Plugged it in and it saw all my components on the PV software. Followed I strict ions and updated firmware.

All good. Works perfectly now!

The cool thing I found out is you can actually program the Di2 to different gear ratios with each press of a button. Imagine with one button press that both front and rear DÉRAILLEURS shift to the desired gear. Now- that's cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I guess my 2 options are keep my current setup and just get the LBS to update my firmware or get the Bluetooth external battery and D fly transmitter so I can update it myself. Sound right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no bluetooth external battery. The only model for bluetooth is the internal one BT-DN110.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so I think you can do this at home if you have these:

New DFly Ew-w01 http://amzn.to/2efVZpC
New external battery mount bm-dn100: http://amzn.to/2efVZpC (which allows you to use the old SMBTR1 external battery.

The option which I went with for an internal battery mounted behind the seat was the new internal DN110 battery: http://amzn.to/2e6ruPL
And the external mount btc-1: http://amzn.to/2fo75eU (which also has a 6-port junction B in it that I creatively used with careful cable routing to avoid a BB 4-port junction B.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 6870 group install question [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an external Bluetooth battery mount. BM-DN100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There you go. I stand corrected.
Quote Reply