Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree
Quote | Reply
So lets have this as an update to the US masters nationals going on in AZ this week. Unfortunately I punted on this one due to illness, but I will live it through all the great swims sure to come. First up is an old friend of mine who I swam with a few weeks ago in a qualifying meet. You all know Taylor Spivey, she is one of Americas up and coming and here now stars in ITU racing. I have known Taylor since she was born, her mom came into the LA lifeguard family the same time I had to retest after my leave of absence(10 years to chase the pro triathlete dream).

Well this is about Bonnie Spivey, the mom and quite accomplished athlete herself. She is now 60 years old and she just won the 1650 in under 20 minutes. She also went under in the meet we swam awhile back, so didnt really get anything out of her taper it appears. It happens with us old farts sometimes, but solid performance.

https://www.usms.org/...ls-heat-psych-sheets

Also saw an old name from the old days in the mens mile, John Holbeck. He just missed the 20 flat mark by a second, but got a 5th place for some good points. The 1000 is still going on, wonder how many are doing the double today??? John was a name you would see in the old days coming out in the lead of most swims. He also had a pretty good bike and run to go with it..
Last edited by: monty: Apr 25, 19 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, so this is the meet that closed Kino...didn't know it was Nationals. Most of the time the big meets tend to be held at Skyline, well that's at least where the Pro ones are. But this being Arizona I wasn't too far from a pool to swim at. Since it's Nationals I might go check it out.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, Kino aquatic center. I was there for this exact same meet in 2012 I think it was. Great venue, but I hear it is triple digits out there this week, ouch!!
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pulling for my lane mate, Jim Sauer. Look for him to win and maybe break some records in the 60-64 age group. I think he is swimming 400IM and 200 fly for sure.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, there should be some great swims in my AG, and I think I see some old pro triathlete names in the 40+. Brian Fleischman and Doug Friman? 10;10 and 10;30 for the 1000, not too shabby for old retired guys. I'm at a loss for names younger than 55 really, so post up your friends or triathletes that are dipping a toe in the meet..

Looks like something happened to Eney Jones, had a pretty good 1000 going, then something happened in the middle, anyone know the story? I think she is usually fighting for the win on these events, so something definitely off..ANd looks like my old mate who got 5th in the 1650, also got 5th or so in the 1000, nice double. But he has to be kicking himself, missed 19+ by a second, and 11;59 by a couple tenths. Those are the races that have you thinking about first and last 50's.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s moving for the 1000. Looks like another TXLA swimmer came in 7th in that race. Great to see Larry Wood win the 1650 for the 65 AG. He puts in the work!

Chris McKee is 35-39 AG and should have some strong swims. I think he’s racing mostly IM.

Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the former ITU guys Fleishman and Friman did 5;02 and 5;10 for the 500 this morning. Like a lot of triathletes, they seem to have one gear when you compare to longer races, and the pure swimmers are now plowing ahead of them. If they swim the 200 they won't even make top 10 or 15 I bet..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I see a guy on my team just won the 45+ 200 breast, 2;02, and the guy that got 2nd was a kid that used to swim at our pool in my pro days who walked on at Stanford, and won a bunch of NCAA championships, Kurt Grote.

My shaved and probably taper times would have only gotten me around 15th in the 100IM, and 10th in the 200 breast, dam those old dudes are getting faster and faster..Something in the water???

And talk about blast from the past, I see Linda Buchannan did a 1;13 in the 100IM for 5th in the 60+!!! Way to go Linda. Some of you may recall her first claim to fame, was as Dave Scotts girlfriend, but she then went on to be the best woman in the world for a couple years. SO with her and Bonnie, the 60+ womens old triathletes are crushing it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I guess I should know this guy, but I dont, Carlo Travaini from Mission Viejo. He just broke the 55+ 100IM record in 55, and went a 2;08 200 breast..

And Rick Colella just went 57+ in the 100 IM for the record, he is 65+.. I guess I will just have to outlive everyone to get me some records..)-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach won her AG in the 1,000 in 10:51.07 and won the 1,650 in 17:43.53.

I see Doug Friman won his AG in the 1,650.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news for you coach, and yes, Doug did all the distance events thus far, 500/1000/1650--5;10/10;30/17;47.. Like I said earlier, these two ex ITU guys in that 40+ are just machines, no speed and a ton of endurance. Wish they had a 10k at this meet!!!
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faster pace on the 1650 than the 1000!? Impressive times.

@Monty it looks like most the TXLA swimmers finished around 6th in the 100IM. Some pretty fast times. That record Swim is smoking fast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coach Ashley's pretty good. Poor thing ... has to put up with Cathy and I moseying down the pool lane. :) Her USMS postal swim was at 1.09 pace so not a lot of drop off for an extra 40+ minutes of swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, 60 heats of the men’s 100 free! I’m gonna have to come down to the meet one year, I almost made it last year to Indianapolis, but I decided to do triathlon instead. Stupid decision....

I see josh Davis is still killin it. 47 point for the 100 free is pretty impressive.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive stuff? How difficult would it be for them (or possible?) to get that speed and different gears?

Also, great to see Jim Sauer crush the 200 fly in 2:09 to take 1st!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From our Masters Program 1650 national champion!! Way to go, Caitlin!!

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How difficult would it be for them (or possible?) to get that speed and different gears? //

Well we dont have to guess, Doug Friman went 52.8 for the 100, and that got 17th. SO first in the mile, 17th in the 100. That's all you need to know about triathletes vs swimmers..(-;

And great for Jim to win that fly, that would have been my 3rd event today, not one I would have been looking forward too though!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Friman’s entered in the 50 free tomorrow. Get out your popcorn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
How difficult would it be for them (or possible?) to get that speed and different gears? //

Well we dont have to guess, Doug Friman went 52.8 for the 100, and that got 17th. SO first in the mile, 17th in the 100. That's all you need to know about triathletes vs swimmers..(-;

The fields get a lot deeper as the races get shorter. Last year I was 5th in AG in the 1000, and 27th in the 100 free. Statistically (i.e. relative to the AG National Record), those swims were virtually identical. When Spring* Nat's are in or near CA, the fields are even deeper.

*Spring Nats are short course, and are almost always is a bigger draw that Summer Nats, which are long course.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 27, 19 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see Matt Grevers made an appearance, broke his own masters record in the 30-34 50 back.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, saw he swam 21+ for 50 back, beats most of the freestylers!!! I suppose this goes into the often discussed topic of pros racing in the AG ranks. Personally I think age is age, so whoever is of the age, they get to race the masters races. OF course we have had 40+ year old olympians, so maybe age group doesn't really start until 45+??

Looking forward to some big swims today, already a bunch of records broken, mostly in the older AG's...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m with you. Shouldn’t penalize an athlete for being more talented than the rest of us. Fast is fast, and age is age.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Bonnie Spivey just crushed the 60+ women in the 500, she went 5;50. Lets see how her daughter does today in her ITU race...
Quote Reply
Re: US masters swimming nationals this week, first up the Spivey apple and tree [trixercise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO Friman did a 2;07 for 200 back for 5th, not too bad. He is swimming a lot of events thus far, wonder if he is in the 400IM??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, great to see Jim Sauer crush the 200 fly in 2:09 to take 1st!

Your horse just won the 200 back in 2;10, he is going to have a hell of a 400IM!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next