Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career
Quote | Reply
Says he won't get into detail...airs on Oprah.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/01/11/lance-armstrong-oprah-interview/1828311/
Last edited by: CP78: Jan 11, 13 22:09
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Says he won't get into detail...airs on Oprah.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2013/01/11/lance-armstrong-oprah-interview/1828311/

the interesting part is that this is only the beginning. details will come out of OIG investigation, he' 'll get a book deal and spin the hell out of things. my guess is he'll try to work directly with WADA to admit and provide testimony, clearly tygart didn't want to play ball to lance satisfaction. lance isn't the patient type, 8 years is way too long to wait to race again and Wada is the only way he can get less than that. they could pressure usada into more if he gave up less than tygart wanted to appeal for a larger reduction.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's going to burn it all down.

Maybe not on Oprah but he'll bring it all down.

He (as we all know) is a very calculating individual. The UCI means nothing to him now. He's going to name names and give the middle finger to the UCI, et al. He likes doing that. :-)

Maybe not on Oprah, but just generally. He wants to race. That is what drives him. That is what allows him to exorcise his demons. And fuck all that stands in the way of that.

He's gonna turn cycling on it's head (again), but in a calculating, get my needs met first, kinda way. :-)

Does popcorn come in gallon buckets?

And excuse the French (so to speak).
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's there to burn down? He's already missed the boat and Tyler et al have already spilled the beans so what surprises will come out, there really can't be that many. LA is shot and try as he might he's down and staying down despite your dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [ZingUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot left to burn. People thoughout the UCI, pro cycling teams, Olympics, medical community, governments and more. Getting Lance was just the lemon next to the pie.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care what Lance says, I still don't believe he doped.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Last edited by: Freelancer: Jan 12, 13 2:10
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
There is a lot left to burn. People thoughout the UCI, pro cycling teams, Olympics, medical community, governments and more. Getting Lance was just the lemon next to the pie.

You're making an assumption and you may or may not be right but you miss the point. The people LA may be able to bring down are more or less annonymous, we already know who the vast majority of the big names are. Sure the individuals themselves may be worried but the generally community won't be bothered about the others because they don't know who they are. I'll give you an example, I never knew who Barry Bonds or Roger Clements were until I read their names on LA threads (non American obviously) and I couldn't give two hoots about either of them. LA is the big name and one a lot of people wanted to see outed so anything he does now will come across as exactly what it is, bitter sour grapes. He can't win this one other than to get a view of Oprah's daytime viewers weeping into their gin laced coffee over his disengenuous cancer stories
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [ZingUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are assuming that I'm making an assumption. Either way, time will tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only details that really interest me and matter long-term is what was the role of UCI in covering it up. I'll be interested if he's willing to bring anyone else down with him.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freelancer wrote:

aw man, i wish i had said that. well done.

can i add this?

"
and no way we should believe him now. he's only saying it so he can get back to the sport. people will say anything to protect their livelihood."
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
The only details that really interest me and matter long-term is what was the role of UCI in covering it up. I'll be interested if he's willing to bring anyone else down with him.

Correct, Mcquaid and Verbruggen are really the only ones of any consequence even if there are more. @PT yes I'm assuming your making an assumption or at least a guess, at this stage that is what we are all doing......unless of course you happen to be LA.....are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I must be the only one who beliefs Lance is gonna admit squat... why would he? He's got nothing to win, all he can do is get more people to go after him. He'll spend the next 5 years from court to court.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
I guess I must be the only one who beliefs Lance is gonna admit squat... why would he? He's got nothing to win, all he can do is get more people to go after him. He'll spend the next 5 years from court to court.

Statute of limitations may be his friend.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...ng-confession_270929
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that Oprah show will be interesting..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything will shake out once the truth comes out. I don't think one person can bring down cycling as a sport, but maybe one person can cause a change in the corruption of the UCI.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [youngrasshopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like the NFL or MLB, cycling has too large a following to "go down". It is a 100+ year institution in Europe. Sure, the house might be cleaned, but all the major races will go off every year after a minor hit in sponsor revenue after the initial house cleaning.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:

He has nothing to gain by continuing to deny the doping. People forgive and forget, but not if you continue to lie---i.e. Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, etc. The vast majority of the public believes he doped. If he gets tells Oprah that he never doped, people will hate him even more. I think if he was going to continue to deny the charges, he would have stayed quiet like the above dopers.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freelancer wrote:

Exactly! He should let it go! It's over. They all doped anyway! Why would he confess? He knows
they all doped, so it was a level playing field. And Tygart is a turd, it was totally personal! He maybe
doesn't remember, but he cured cancer, so who cares if he doped in a dope-rigged sport anyway?!
And he's a liar now. So why should we believe him??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

Correct, Mcquaid and Verbruggen are really the only ones of any consequence even if there are more. @PT yes I'm assuming your making an assumption or at least a guess, at this stage that is what we are all doing......unless of course you happen to be LA.....are you?

This is false, at least in part. While McQuaid and Verbruggen are key, they surely aren't the only ones. The entirety of USAC leadership at the time; The leader of at least one and potentially 2 WADA accredited labs; and others. Bringing others down is his only chance at return to racing.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
ZingUK wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

This is false, at least in part. While McQuaid and Verbruggen are key, they surely aren't the only ones. The entirety of USAC leadership at the time; The leader of at least one and potentially 2 WADA accredited labs; and others. Bringing others down is his only chance at return to racing.

I'm not saying there are not others, there undoubtably are but I'm saying the ones that people really care about are Mcq and Brug. The lab guys for example are names most of us probably do not know and after their 15 minutes of shame we will forget who they are so from a public perception I don't think LA has such big guns to fire. From each individuals perspective the fact he can ruin yet more people's careers is of course devistating for them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is this forum missing the obvious? This is ALL about returning to triathlon. He wants to compete. He HAS to compete. It's the only way he knows how to live. And it KILLED him to not be able to race at Kona this year. He's cut some deal with USADA--he'll confess if they reduce his suspension. And forget about the minimum 8 year ban--USADA may reduce it to one year in order to get him to confess, as it would be a huge feather in their cap. All they want is for Lance to publicly say "you guys are right, I doped," and all Lance wants is to be able to compete in triathlon before he gets too old to compete at a top level (which is another couple of years, so his clock is ticking!).

A one year ban, retroactive to last July when they slapped him, would mean he could race Kona this year. I'm placing my bet right now that he'll be on the start line in '13.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [89Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will we hear of a $1M made to WTC in 10 years?
Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [89Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
89Greg wrote:
How is this forum missing the obvious? This is ALL about returning to triathlon. He wants to compete. He HAS to compete. It's the only way he knows how to live. And it KILLED him to not be able to race at Kona this year. He's cut some deal with USADA--he'll confess if they reduce his suspension. And forget about the minimum 8 year ban--USADA may reduce it to one year in order to get him to confess, as it would be a huge feather in their cap. All they want is for Lance to publicly say "you guys are right, I doped," and all Lance wants is to be able to compete in triathlon before he gets too old to compete at a top level (which is another couple of years, so his clock is ticking!).

A one year ban, retroactive to last July when they slapped him, would mean he could race Kona this year. I'm placing my bet right now that he'll be on the start line in '13.

They don't need him to confess. They already convicted him. They have the feather in their cap already.

While I agree 100% with you re: his motivation to confess, the only way he gets his suspension reduced is to name names in the UCI, USAC, etc. if he only admits to what has already been proven, there is no reason to reduce his suspension.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>He's cut some deal with USADA

I seriously doubt that. I don't see Tygart having put the credibility of USADA on the line for about a year, only to turn around and subvert that process.

It'd be an extraordinarily bad precedent for USADA to announce to athletes that they can ignore the initial deadlines for working with USADA, and just wait until after they've had a trial period of the punishment.

If Armstrong called Tygart, I hope it was a short conversation.

Quote Reply
Re: USA Today reports Lance to admit to doping throughout career [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance didn't call Tygart--they met, in person, on Tuesday. For a while. Some kind of deal was cut, and I can't see Lance sitting in a room with that guy for more than one second unless he was going to benefit from it. And by benefit, I mean getting to race again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next