Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT story on Inside Tri web site
Quote | Reply
This was just posted on the Inside Tri web site. A press release was also sent you by USAT today concerning this matter. Z

What's in a name? USAT thinks quite a bit
USA Triathlon breaks name ties with National Training Center

by By Timothy Carlson
with USA Triathlon press release

This report filed January 25, 2005

With a simple removal of a sign above the entrance, the USA Triathlon National Training Center will no longer be officially affiliated with swim-bike-run. After a four-year relationship, the ambitious athletic training facility in Clermont, Florida will be known simply as the National Training Center and will serve triathlon as one sport among many.

USA Triathlon officials and South Lake Hospital confirmed Tuesday that the current contract between the two organizations for the National Training Center in Clermont, Florida, would not be renewed.

Both sides promised to continue discussions regarding future projects together, but the two have elected not to continue with the name lease agreement. South Lake Hospital will continue to own and operate the National Training Center.

"Everything is amicable," said USA Triathlon Board of Directors President Brad Davison. "We appreciate the great relationship we have had with South Lake Hospital."

"South Lake Hospital has enjoyed its partnership with USA Triathlon and we look forward to continuing a relationship with them," said Leslie Longacre, Executive Director/CEO of South Lake Hospital. "USAT has been a great partner and has done a tremendous job in furthering the sport of triathlon, especially in Central Florida."

While the parting may have been amicable, the negotiations leading up to the split were tense. USA Triathlon Interim Executive Director Mike Greer, who took over in late summer as negotiations approached a contract renewal date in December, said he wanted substantial money for continuing to have the USAT name attached to the center.

Since the opening of the site in August 2001, South Lake Hospital, which built the complex, has paid USAT $165,000 for use of the governing body's name. The hospital further offered free rent for three USAT employees on site.

By 2004, said Greer, there was no monetary compensation. South Lake Hospital told the Orlando Sentinel this summer that the hospital was committed to pay up to $85,000 in costs related to triathlon-based events. Greer estimated that by October, "only $10,000 of that figure has been used."

Greer stated that USAT, as an Olympic-affiliated national governing body which scored a bronze medal at Athens, should be getting "at least twice" the first year payment of $45,000 for the value of the name which is on the complex. John Moore, South Lake Hospital administrator, citing annual facilities costs of $200,000 and millions of dollars of infrastructure, told the Orlando Sentinel in mid-2004 "I can't imagine paying cash."

All programs and services of South Lake Hospital's National Training Center will continue to be offered to the 3500 community members and national and international athletes who come to train in south Lake County. The USA Triathlon logo will be removed from the building during the next 60 days, and a new logo is being designed.

All full-time USA Triathlon employees who worked at the National Training Center have relocated to the USAT National Office in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"The National Training Center is a world-class fitness and training facility for everyone," said John Moore, Administrator of Campus Development. "We have a wide variety of athletes who use the facility and components of the NTC campus throughout the year."

Moore and Davison said future discussions might include components of camps and clinics offered by USAT at the National Training Center.

In 2004, more than 11,000 athletes - from sports including triathlon, soccer, race walking, flag football, swimming and track and field - trained or competed at the National Training Center.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT story on Inside Tri web site [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard they are turning this place into a softball facility. Even pulled out the bike racks. What is really going on?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT story on Inside Tri web site [bighead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Softball fields have not been started - Pool, track and fitness center is open to both community and visiting athletes. We just hosted a Professional Rugby Team from England for three weeks, we have several college football players training for the Pro Combine this spring - one wide receiver from West Virgina should go in the first round.

We have a number of triathlon camps scheduled for this spring and March is filled with college track teams coming down for spring training. I doubt that we will see any decrease in the amount of triathletes training at the center because of the name change. Triathletes come to Clermont for the great weather and the hills. We will see many other sports (track, soccer, swimming, football, etc. sending athletes as we move forward with the new name. Z
Quote Reply
Re: USAT story on Inside Tri web site [bighead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I have always said on ST, I stand behind Tom Z. 100% in everything he does for Triathlon. I am extremely glad to see him stay on board as part of the Clermont's NTC staff. As sad as it sounds, the Clermont Triathlon Community has seen the departure of USAT, Ironman North America, and our Next Step to Gold Tri Development Team all in the last six months from our town. The triathletes of South Lake County appreciate everything Tom Z. does to promote the sport of triathlon as he is almost the last positive thing (CFT too) we have here in Clermont.

With that being said, I have full confidence that Tom will continue to influence the decision makers at the Training Center who may have alternative agendas (softball) than triathletes such as Tom and myself. There is a triathlon community here in Clermont and I would love to see it grow and not just in the winter. Hopefully the NTC will continue to welcome triathletes even if they show up on their $2000 bikes and not make them park them in the parking lot.

And finally: Please don't go TOM Z.!!!!
Quote Reply