Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT Board Re-Affirms USOC Relationships
Quote | Reply
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (March 19, 2005) – Following a passionate and spirited debate at the USA Triathlon Board of Directors meeting Saturday, a resolution calling for USA Triathlon to end its relationship with the U.S. Olympic Committee was withdrawn by its author and the Board voted to re-affirm its association with the USOC.

USAT Board members, staff, and USAT members, meeting in Colorado Springs, all weighed in on the resolution, written by Board member Jack Weiss. Jim Scherr, Chief Executive of the U.S. Olympic Committee, had also addressed the resolution with the Board on Friday.

"Jack’s resolution created an opportunity for the USA Triathlon Board to re-examine what our federation stands for and where it is going. We are dedicated to preserving and enhancing all our important relationships, from members, race directors and sponsors to the USOC and International Triathlon Union," said Board President Brad Davison.

"Whether or not we agree with his resolution, the Board appreciates Jack’s love for the sport and his dedication to USAT both as a volunteer Board member and as a sanctioning race director."

The resolution that was passed unanimously by the 11-member Board on Saturday reads, "we resolve to confirm the ongoing relationship between the age group and pro/elite components of USA Triathlon and our continuing association with the U.S. Olympic Committee."

"The unanimous support of the Olympic movement by our staff has only been strengthened and better defined by this process," said Skip Gilbert, USA Triathlon’s incoming executive director. "I fully applaud Jack’s resolution to call to question the dynamics of our relationship with the USOC, and I’m very encouraged by our Board’s constructive and passionate dialogue to get to the final result."

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Board Re-Affirms USOC Relationships [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see it was a unanimous vote and I personally am pleased with the outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's move on - thanks to Jack for putting this in front of the board. Now let's support the Board we voted in this year!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Board Re-Affirms USOC Relationships [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen Tom.

BTW, great to finally meet you this weekend.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike - great to meet you also - we just got done picking up all the trash after the race - best part about working on a race - dumping the trash!

Good luck with your time on the board! I'm sure that you will find it rewarding. Thanks for taking the time to serve on the board! Z
Quote Reply