Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UPS/Fedex/USPS question
Quote | Reply
OK, I have what might be a stupid question, but here goes.

For those that have experience shipping bikes: I have to send 2 mtbs from Denver, CO to Athens, OH and I wondered if it would be cheaper to send them as one box??? I know last time I sent a full bike, I got hammered by UPS. If I bundle/tape the two boxes together and ship them as one, will it be cheaper?

Any thoughts?

David
Quote Reply
Re: UPS/Fedex/USPS question [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question... check their online calculators...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never shipped bikes, but have had car parts shipped to me freight. And after a certain size if it has to go freight the price doesn't change that much.

So i would say yes tape and box them together.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A single bike in a box comes pretty close to maxing out USPS total girth limitations. That's how I ship my bike. I don't think you'd be able to do two as a single unit.

Reverisco!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for the company you forgot to mention DHL.

The answer to your question depends completly on the dimensions of the box if you combine them. If the boxes taped together go over that measurement calculation you will be hit with VERY heavy over size charges.

I suggest you measure the boxes together and an individual box, and call the 800 numbers. They will be able to give you a quote.

2 things you might want to think about. If you work for a cmpany that does shipping (Every company ships), talk to your shipping guy and see if you can ship it with the companies discounts and pay the company rate.

The other BUY INSURANCE!!! 98% of the time your package will be delivered on time in 1 piece. The other 2% are late, damaged, or worse. If you fall into the 2% without insurance the carrier is responsible for $100.00.

Good luck

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the online calculators to figure it out pretty easy. My experience a typical bike box puts you in USPS "Oversize" catagory and gets expensive fast (like double the others). But check them all as prices change.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply