Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE
Quote | Reply
12/26/07

Ok,

it's happened...

I've got 3K in front of me to drop on a new ride for 2007. Some details below, but also - I'm willing to go with a higher-end frame that I can build over several seasons (leading me to Ultegra rather than DA to start and some cheaper wheels). I look forward to your suggestions.

more info below,

Brian

---------------------------

Evening all,

Looks like I've been able to save about $3000.00 to spend on a tri-specific bike for the 2007 season. I competed last year at IMLP and other races with a road bike setup using clip on Aero Stryke handlebars.

I'm competing in Harriman HIM, Tupper HIM, Devil's Kitchen Duathlon, several local sprints, IMLP, Survival of the Shawangunks, and American Zofingen. I share this so that those who may choose to weigh in on my questions know the terrain that I'll be riding.

Any suggestions on a bike for that budget. I like the Felt S32, and some QR's. Component wise I'll go with at least an Ultegra setup...Perhaps a lesser price bike with the leftover money to be spent elsewhere.

I've always respected the amount of knowledge found on ST and appreciate your input.

I bow before the collective wisdom of ST,

Brian G.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Last edited by: Brian G: Dec 26, 06 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [Brian G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was checking out some of the new QRs at Tom and Sarah Demerly's shop on Friday (http://www.bikesportmichigan.com). The 2006.5 Seduza is a great deal at around $2100. I am not sure of the exact price. Nice looking carbon frame. This will leave you a few bucks for a renn disc and some other goodies. Call them at 313-278-1350. They have been very fair w/ me on price and they are awesome at fitting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a Felt B2 for $3100.
Just make sure the bike you get fits you well.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P2Cs are nicely equipped for $3000. That is what I am planning to upgrade to from my P2K.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think you should consider the Guru CronAlu...full custom, made in Canda (really) with Ultegra $2500...
...use the remainder of the cash to buy a used power tap...
My $.02
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon. One of the best buys on the market.

Ric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://i16.tinypic.com/2qxojep.jpg

check out this setup, this is the 06 model of this bike, can get it if you look around for under 3k, 2k if you look hard, and this wheelset can be found for 600 or so if you look, or something similar to the front for less if you go used.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The prettiest is the P2C. The most comfy in the Titanflex.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a 2006 Litespeed Saber with full Ultegra componenets for $2800? I saw that deal over at all3sports.com. Thats a lot of beautiful titanium goodness for the $.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had $3k to spend on a new bike setup I would most likely go for some really high end used stuff. I think that if you spend the full boat on a new carbon wonder bike and only get mediocre wheels, you will regret it. Spend $2K or so on the bike and save a grand for wheels, a helmet and a good fitting.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE [Brian G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12/26/07

Ok,

it's happened...

I've got 3K in front of me to drop on a new ride for 2007. Some details below, but also - I'm willing to go with a higher-end frame that I can build over several seasons (leading me to Ultegra rather than DA to start and some cheaper wheels). I look forward to your suggestions.

more info below,

Brian

---------------------------

Evening all,

Looks like I've been able to save about $3000.00 to spend on a tri-specific bike for the 2007 season. I competed last year at IMLP and other races with a road bike setup using clip on Aero Stryke handlebars.

I'm competing in Harriman HIM, Tupper HIM, Devil's Kitchen Duathlon, several local sprints, IMLP, Survival of the Shawangunks, and American Zofingen. I share this so that those who may choose to weigh in on my questions know the terrain that I'll be riding.

Any suggestions on a bike for that budget. I like the Felt S32, and some QR's. Component wise I'll go with at least an Ultegra setup...Perhaps a lesser price bike with the leftover money to be spent elsewhere.

I've always respected the amount of knowledge found on ST and appreciate your input.

I bow before the collective wisdom of ST,

Brian G.
Easy, no; fun, maybe; memorable, absolutely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm willing to go with a higher-end frame that I can build over several seasons (leading me to Ultegra rather than DA to start and some cheaper wheels). I look forward to your suggestions.

I would never go this route. I have built several bikes from the ground up and they are always a money pit. Big bike manufacturers get great deals buying components in mass so you're much better off buying a complete bike. I'd guess you'll end up spending 30 to 40% more by building. Retailers like Tom can give you better information on this.

Plus, you're always going to want the latest and greatest so if you build a bike over 2 to 3 seasons you're going to be miserable and probably end up with an outdated "higher-end" frame (even though it will still be a great frame, it will probably look dated).

If you're married, bike building is a great fight starter. "Get that bike off the kitchen table!" "What bike parts did you buy this week?" "How many crank sets does one bike need?" "I'll show you another good use for those brake calipers."
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE [Peleton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'll show you another good use for those brake calipers.

Hahahahaha! Oh man, I'm glad I'm not married!

To answer to OP, there are many great deals with no compromise. Look at the QR Seduza or Caliente, Kuota K-Factor
, Cervelo P2SL (maybe even P2C on closeout). You won't have to upgrade anything and you're good to go. Choose the one that fits you and you'll be riding a bike good enough to win an Ironman.

BTW, even if you get Ultegra there really isn't a need to upgrade. I spent extra for my dura ace and later realize that I really don't need it. We're not roadies where every little gram counts. Triathlons are fairly flat. Saving a pound or two probably won't make you any faster. These days, about the only thing separating Dura Ace and Ultegra is weight--Ultegra is that good.
Last edited by: JonathanJCR: Dec 26, 06 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again, if it FITS, might want to check out the Planet X carbon stealth pro. You can get a very nicely specd' bike comnplete for that.

Re: UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE [JonathanJCR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. great recommendations. i like the seduzza with some flashpoint 60s at that price. you are basically getting a lucero with zipp 404s without the paint.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot about that one. I definitely agree. That'd be near the top of my list if I had to buy a bike all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE [Peleton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I would never go this route. I have built several bikes from the ground up and they are always a money pit. Big bike manufacturers get great deals buying components in mass so you're much better off buying a complete bike. I'd guess you'll end up spending 30 to 40% more by building. Retailers like Tom can give you better information on this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I totally disagree. I buy my frames new from whomever is cheapest. Then I shop online looking at cycling stores, ebay etc. It only takes a few weeks to get all the parts and I save a ton while buying new equipment. I built my Griffen and then a Specialized this way and saved at least $1000 on parts each time. Yes, now I realize some will say you should support the LBS, but I have to do what my budget allows. More power to the person who can stretch the value of a dollar. S
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE - What bike for $3000? - UPDATE [JonathanJCR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about the DA vs. Ultegra. I've only ridden Ultegra and found it to be exactly what I need. I sometimes wonder what advantages (other than weight) that DA would give me.

Based on the suggestions I'm looking at these four bikes (I'm probably going to go complete bike) with the best price:

QR Seduza

Kuota K-Factor

Cervelo P2SL

Planet X Carbon Stealth Pro

Now, does anyone have any experience with LBS vs. Online vs. calling a faraway shop (ala BikeSport Michigan)....suggestions, once again, are appreciated.

B.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordering my PX Stealth Pro Carbon was easy. The shipped the same day. Instant gratification. They are very helpful in getting the right size and the right build if you're going for a complete bike.

Cheers,
Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DA vs. Ultegra is pretty irrelevant with a pre-packaged tri bike since it's usually only the derailleurs. They all seem to come with FSA or some other Taiwanese cranks, often with Tectro brakes (and who cares about brakes on a tri bike?) and there is only one level of bar end shifters.

First, you want something that fits. Worry about that more than a lot of the small features. If you're going to race a lot (and it sounds like you plan to), you'd get a better performance by putting some of your money into at least a good rear wheel if not a set of aero wheels than blowing it all on the bike itself. I've never seen a Renn but many people on this site seem to get good results with them a $2,000-2,500 bike that fits with one of those for races would be faster than a P2C.

As someone who's built lots of bikes from scratch, it's almost always cheaper to buy the manufacturer's complete package. Yes, you can spend a lot of time buying stuff on ebay and you may save a few bucks (athough you should also read Tom's cautions about ebay in one of today's other posts) but how much is your time and the continued service of a good LBS, including proper fitting, worth to you?
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [ttracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone listed PLant X bikes as an option but those bikes are $4k at their "lowest" level and can get over $5k depending on what else you want on it. The prices are always listed in British Pounds so you need to convert it. If you can get this bike for less than $3k please let me know because I would love to get one!
Last edited by: mdd: Dec 28, 06 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [mdd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not true, they offer the "slowtwitch deal"....dura ace build for USD$2499.....a great deal...

[url]http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/triathlon/index.php?module=announce&ANN_user_op=view&ANN_id=177[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [Schermy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an email from Andy over at Planet X today and he said they were finished offering the slowtwitch special rate and he quoted me the new higher price. I replied to him to verify that the slowtwitch deal is finished and will post his response. After getting his $4k+ price that deal you mentioned looks pretty awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: What bike for $3000? [mdd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just scroll down the page, it's still there and the shopping cart still works. Not to throw anyone under the bus, but there are no end dates or notices that the offer has been removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say stick with the original thought. An S32, some race wheels(I recommend rebadged 404s) and you're set for about $2400.
Quote Reply

Prev Next