Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UCI TT Update, no posts yet?
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/uci-scraps-the-junior-gear-restriction-relaxes-tt-position-rules/

Three height tiers. Everyone gets the first reach limit, then tall folks an extra touch, then super tall folks an extra touch. Same for pad to tip height.

Seems to make sense to me.

Am I reading it right now that there's no longer the "choice" between saddle setback and reach?

Not that this matters to me. Just interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skimmed it last night, but haven't deep dived the updates.

from quick glance seems like if you're 5'10 or so you got the worst of it, and then get some benefits as you get taller.

*edit (second one) LINK to the UCI document

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Jun 23, 22 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
from quick glance seems like if you're 5'10 or so you got the worst of it, and then get some benefits as you get taller.

Well, status quo, I think, up to ~5'11"? Improvement for ~5-11" - 6''3". Status quo for ~6'3+. That's my read.

And improvement in terms of officially sanctioning resting your bodyweight on the forearms with aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m torn on this. At just over 5’11”, I fall into the middle bracket. I’m excited that I get a little more freedom and I’m not wedged by default to the max measurement. The only downside is now that I can play with my position I have to replace the parts that have been shorten to the current/historic lengths and heights.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jun 23, 22 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm super happy about the jr gear restrictions being lifted.
Mostly bc I coach a few jr cyclists who are running 39/14s up front for a 6m roll out or 42/I forgot for the 7m rollout.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Mostly bc I coach a few jr cyclists who are running 39/14s up front for a 6m roll out or 42/I forgot for the 7m rollout.

Wow this is huge. Dumb rule finally lifted. Gonna be tougher on us old guys racing them now lol. I guess USACycling would also have to follow suit?

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Wow this is huge. Dumb rule finally lifted. Gonna be tougher on us old guys racing them now lol. I guess USACycling would also have to follow suit?

Yeah gonna be tough to overpower some of these kids with a level gear playing field. Hopefully USAcycling follows suit. Although I'm most concerned with Australia Cycling as I coach one of the top jrs in the country.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 23, 22 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Well, status quo, I think, up to ~5'11"? Improvement for ~5-11" - 6''3". Status quo for ~6'3+. That's my read.

And improvement in terms of officially sanctioning resting your bodyweight on the forearms with aerobars.

Yep, that's my read on it, though there are also some changes to the tilt allowance.
  • sub 180cm/5'10" range: no change.
  • 180->190cm/ 5'10" - 6'3" range: biggest improvement. No change if you took the saddle exemption, 3cm extra reach for the shifter reach exemption, and 12cm height difference allowed for pad/shifter instead of 10cm.
  • 190cm+ / 6'3"+: Slight improvement. No change for saddle or shifter reach exemption, but 14cm height difference allowed for pad/shifter instead of 10cm.

I'll continue to bear a slight amount of grumpiness of how much the reach rules favor electronic shifting instead of mechanical from a budget standpoint, but the extra arm tilt will be fun to play with.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [RunningChoux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunningChoux wrote:
trail wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Yep, that's my read on it, though there are also some changes to the tilt allowance.
  • sub 180cm/5'10" range: no change.
  • 180->190cm/ 5'10" - 6'3" range: biggest improvement. No change if you took the saddle exemption, 3cm extra reach for the shifter reach exemption, and 12cm height difference allowed for pad/shifter instead of 10cm.
  • 190cm+ / 6'3"+: Slight improvement. No change for saddle or shifter reach exemption, but 14cm height difference allowed for pad/shifter instead of 10cm.

I'll continue to bear a slight amount of grumpiness of how much the reach rules favor electronic shifting instead of mechanical from a budget standpoint, but the extra arm tilt will be fun to play with.

IMO in the US it is largely a non factor. If you're elite enough to fall within the rules in the US, you're likely already electronic. Or you're a trackie without shifters anyway.

I could see Euro folks having more issues with it that are only under the UCI rule set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I humbly posit that the hand height to forearm height differences between groups should not be so large. Advantage for very tall riders if the high-handed position is aerodynamically ideal for them.

By rider heights

Hands to pads height:
  • <180cm: 100mm
  • 180-190cm: 120mm
  • >190: 140mm

BB to bar tips:
  • <180cm height: 800mm
  • 180-190cm: 830mm
  • >190: 850mm

It doesn't seem reasonable to allow +2cm reach for very tall folks, while also giving +2cm hand height.

The maxed out positions of each height category result in materially different joint angles being allowed.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Yeah gonna be tough to overpower some of these kids with a level gear playing field. Hopefully USAcycling follows suit. Although I'm most concerned with Australia Cycling as I coach one of the top jrs in the country.
I hope this rule is overturned broadly in US. At some tracks, newer riders are also currently limited to junior gears until they cat up to cat 3, but they race with adults with no gear limits. Silly, if you ask me.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
but they race with adults with no gear limits. Silly, if you ask me.

Dude, shut up. Now the kids are going to start beating me 3-4 years earlier than they do now. That's all I have.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
but they race with adults with no gear limits. Silly, if you ask me.

Dude, shut up. Now the kids are going to start beating me 3-4 years earlier than they do now. That's all I have.

To your point also, kids in TT or endurance track on the pursuit bike have a materially unfair advantage to grown adults with the new UCI fit rules. They get the automatic reach distance of a 5' 10" adult when they're likely a LOT shorter at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
It doesn't seem reasonable to allow +2cm reach for very tall folks, while also giving +2cm hand height.

The maxed out positions of each height category result in materially different joint angles being allowed.

This is the problem with a step function rule
It wouldn't be hard to have an easy to implement rule that scales. As it is, all they've done is remove the massive step in what I'm allowed (193cm) compared to my brother (188cm)
The height change deals with the fact that they have a 15deg max pad tilt rule, but a tall rider can't get their extensions anywhere near the same angle within 10cm.
I sent them data about this a couple of years ago when they asked for armrest dimensions, but the response is, as usual, slow and poorly thought out
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

This is the problem with a step function rule
It wouldn't be hard to have an easy to implement rule that scales. As it is, all they've done is remove the massive step in what I'm allowed (193cm) compared to my brother (188cm)
The height change deals with the fact that they have a 15deg max pad tilt rule, but a tall rider can't get their extensions anywhere near the same angle within 10cm.
I sent them data about this a couple of years ago when they asked for armrest dimensions, but the response is, as usual, slow and poorly thought out

One thing that I haven’t seen any mention of… especially for the bigger riders with the new height freedoms, I’m assuming the highest part of the shifter/extension still needs to be lower than than nose of the saddle? I watched a UHC rider throw a massive fit at the Tour of the Gila and had to ride his road bike because the extensions where higher than his saddle was. 😂
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jun 25, 22 14:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are they measuring height with cycling shoes on? I can get an extra 2cm of extension offset if they are. Also I think the extension/pad offset should be based on forearm length. Overall I think this is a step in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [RunningChoux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunningChoux wrote:
I'll continue to bear a slight amount of grumpiness of how much the reach rules favor electronic shifting instead of mechanical from a budget standpoint

Well, they talked to the manufacturers and none of them thought that forcing upgrades to electronic shifting was a bad thing... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
One thing that I haven’t seen any mention of… especially for the bigger riders with the new height freedoms, I’m assuming the highest part of the shifter/extension still needs to be lower than than nose of the saddle? I watched a UHC rider throw a massive fit at the Tour of the Gila and had to ride his ride bike because the extensions where higher than his saddle was. 😂

I recall some people commenting about Lambie's extensions being higher than the saddle (a few years ago), and Bigham said "that isn't a thing".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
IMO in the US it is largely a non factor. If you're elite enough to fall within the rules in the US, you're likely already electronic. Or you're a trackie without shifters anyway.

I know someone shooting for an AG national record who would rather not waste money on shifters... not me, BTW.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheWhiteCarrot wrote:
So are they measuring height with cycling shoes on?

No. No shoes on.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
It wouldn't be hard to have an easy to implement rule that scales.

The rule would be easy. But I don't think they wanted to redesign all new jigs with some kind of new scaling mechanism. You'd want the jig to remain relatively easy to construct, e.g. by these construction guidelines. Not that adding one more slider-type deal would be a huge deal, but it is more complication nevertheless. Big-time promoters and tracks can afford the fancy new laser jigs. But lots smaller-time races just have Home Depot-style stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
One thing that I haven’t seen any mention of… especially for the bigger riders with the new height freedoms, I’m assuming the highest part of the shifter/extension still needs to be lower than than nose of the saddle? I watched a UHC rider throw a massive fit at the Tour of the Gila and had to ride his ride bike because the extensions where higher than his saddle was. 😂

I recall some people commenting about Lambie's extensions being higher than the saddle (a few years ago), and Bigham said "that isn't a thing".

I saw Bigham's post as well, and later on asked Xavier and he said "it depends on who is looking at your bike." Which seems like the more accurate answer.

In the tech document, the (only) picture of a bike in reference to that rule has drop handlebars... but it is in the right section of the document and it clearly diagrams a box where the bars are not higher than the saddle. Very unclear and as ^^ probably depends on who is interpreting it.

Quote Reply
Re: UCI TT Update, no posts yet? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
rruff wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

I saw Bigham's post as well, and later on asked Xavier and he said "it depends on who is looking at your bike." Which seems like the more accurate answer.

In the tech document, the (only) picture of a bike in reference to that rule has drop handlebars... but it is in the right section of the document and it clearly diagrams a box where the bars are not higher than the saddle. Very unclear and as ^^ probably depends on who is interpreting it.

The taller riders who may have trouble with it are also taller, looking at their TT bikes there's usually mountains of seatpost sticking up with plenty of lowish stack.

Not saying someone somewhere will have an issue, but just don't think a person measuring who knows the "why" of applying each rule should care.

The handlebar thing is keeping you from pulling an Obree egg. The reach one is to prevent Superman. The hand height one is to prevent Mantis.

Specifically Obree started that egg thing using an upside down reversed drop bar. Well above saddle height. If you ask me..........there's your origin. Doing this with TT extensions doesn't really achieve that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right... but the history or the "why" of the rules doesn't matter if you're standing at bike check and have to make massive changes or just not start.

The issue with some of the rules is that they need less openness to interpretation, a vague diagram stuck in the middle of a page is obviously not enough... otherwise we still wouldn't be discussing the bars above the saddle ok or not 3 or 4 years later lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/uci-scraps-the-junior-gear-restriction-relaxes-tt-position-rules/

Three height tiers. Everyone gets the first reach limit, then tall folks an extra touch, then super tall folks an extra touch. Same for pad to tip height.

Seems to make sense to me.

Am I reading it right now that there's no longer the "choice" between saddle setback and reach?

Not that this matters to me. Just interesting.

If you no longer have to choose between saddle setback and extension forward position that can be a benefit.

For example I am in the <180cm and currently run 5cm setback and 77cm extension forward. But I could go out to 80cm and run 0 setback. That may be beneficial or possibly not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next