Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two a days - How long in between in wkouts?
Quote | Reply
Now that I've got my 'office' gym just about set up, I plan on riding the bike in the am (7:30 - 8:30 ish) and then going out for a run in the afternoon before it gets dark (4:30ish which means I'll have to start the run around 3:30).

Is the 8 hrs between wkouts sufficient or am I doing more harm than good?

Probably only do the bike/run 3x a week while I'll do the swim/bike 2x.
Quote Reply
Re: Two a days - How long in between in wkouts? [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The time in between is fine. Many top runners do 3 workouts a day, all running.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds real good to me. I always go by the rule that if you can't seperate it by 6-8 hours then do it as a combo with one session right after the other. Good luck and enjoy the pain!

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually do one in the AM, ~5-6AM, then one in the evening, ~6-7:30 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 'two a days' are before work (5:30 or 6am) and then again

at lunchtime. The trick is to do things that complement each other :

i.e. Swim (am) run (Lunch)

Bike (am) Weights (Lunch).

I rarely Bike (am) and then run (Lunch)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the 8 hrs between wkouts sufficient or am I doing more harm than good?

I think as long as you feel rested enough to do the workouts, you're fine.

Actually, I think it might even be desirable to schedule workouts close together, if you can handle it. I remember back when I was asking about long rides, and it was suggested that if I didn't have time or inclination to do a 4 hour ride, I could still get similar benefit from two shorter rides- one in the evening, the next in the morning.

I wonder if a similar adaptive process occurs when to different types of workout are scheduled close to each other . . . ?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends...everyone is different. And your fitness changes alot throughout the year, so there is no right answer.

Method that has worked the best for me is resting am heartrate. First thing in the morning....before even getting out of bed, take your heartrate for a full minute. After a month or so, you will have enough data to know when you are rested. You will start to see you resting heartrate go down when your body is adapting to your workouts.....so you know its time to up it a notch. Also, you will see a spike when you body need more rest. Body will always tell you when its ready, just got to know what to listen for!

There are some good articles out there on the subject, don't have any on hand though.

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get not much more seven hours between the two a days when I swam in college. Of course, I was no older than 20 then so I probably needed a lot less rest. I think that eight hours would be plenty of recovery time as long as you listen to your body and did not try to do two hard workouts on the same day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If any of the workouts is a test or a "to-the-limit" type, 8 hour is more then enough...

be a man, do it in-a-row :-D

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply