Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Two Die in swim at NYC TRI
Quote | Reply
Just heard from a significant source that two people have died during the swim at the nyc tri, believed to be heart attacks. One women, and a man. Condolences to the families of the triathletes. I heard they were pulling people left and right out of the water cause they were unable to swim. Its disheartening because when will people learn not to put they're lives in danger if they are not capable of swimming?? I know the heart attacks happen out of no where, whether your in perfect shape or not, I'm just talking about the people attempting the swim, they're putting others also in danger. God Bless the two triathletes that passed today and also lets not forget the 30 US troops that passed defending our great nation.
Last edited by: OnTheFly21: Aug 9, 11 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [OnTheFly21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a sad day...every year after this race the forums seem to flood with people talking about how bad this race is...never done it..so not sure...but it seems like a lot of people do the charity route with an attitude of...oh I'm doing a triathlon this weekend...what are you doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad news. All the best to their friends and families.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [dkazup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please Don't jump to conclusions folks. Maybe not first timers.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad news indeed.
x2 on condolences and best to their family and friends. I hope all slowtwitchers that are doing the race are okay.

Quote | Reply
This is a very sad day. I have not raced NYC Tri in a few years, but loved the race the two times I have done it. It is sad that people take the direction of.... lets think we can swim today when we could not yesterday. You can't blame the director/staff for people entering the race who should not be racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Very sad news indeed.
x2 on condolences and best to their family and friends. I hope all slowtwitchers that are doing the race are okay.

x3
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only in NYC would a race have a Psych tent...

"If some athletes are still skeptical about the water quality, or the swim in general, they can find help at the Psych Tent at the swim start. The tent will be manned by qualified volunteers, mostly advanced doctoral students from local universities. The group met this week to discuss tactics for calming athletes and distracting them from what Stephen Sands, the team leader, calls "anticipatory anxiety." "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkazup wrote:
Only in NYC would a race have a Psych tent...

"If some athletes are still skeptical about the water quality, or the swim in general, they can find help at the Psych Tent at the swim start. The tent will be manned by qualified volunteers, mostly advanced doctoral students from local universities. The group met this week to discuss tactics for calming athletes and distracting them from what Stephen Sands, the team leader, calls "anticipatory anxiety." "

.....Really?

Wonder if they discussed tactics for telling athletes that if they don't know how to swim they're probably not ready for this...

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
condolences
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Know nothing of those that passed. Good thoughts to those that know and love them. Feel good in the thought they died doing something fun and that heart attacks are quick compared other causes of death.

To the point that (apparently) several were pulled from the water... train for the f@rking swim, damn it!

To "adal"... you are a very bad person. I hope your angry and hate filled life ends soon. A double tap to you, my "friend".

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [DE' ADRE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there...watched both rescues. I talked to the nyfd and they said they thought the girl made it or at least they restored circulation. The response time on the male was very frustrating. I hope it is addressed in the future...and that she did indeed pull through. Very very sad.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [gatormu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea what time or waves these occurred at?

--Alan
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [gatormu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gatormu wrote:
I was there...watched both rescues. I talked to the nyfd and they said they thought the girl made it or at least they restored circulation. The response time on the male was very frustrating. I hope it is addressed in the future...and that she did indeed pull through. Very very sad.

Thing that a lot of people just don't get is that there aren't an infinitely number of safety people on most courses, and that every safely person who is diverted to helping rescue someone who honestly wasn't ready yet to finish the swim safely is one fewer pair of eyeballs available to try to help if another athlete has a catastrophic medical event happen on course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen may good swimmers have a panic attack, or go out to fast and have trouble, one went to their back and somehow got turned around a nd bumped heads with someone and almost got knockedout this was because goggles got fogged. people could just have a heartattack and not be able to just stop in the water or really tell someone. I have seen may experienced swimmers just have something happen. This is not a simple problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the pre race anxiety talk idea. The more things offered the better. Hell they could have the same for 5k's I had a friend who was a great runner. He would have a great race or a horrible one. Pre race anxiety. Remember some peoplke are born to run fast others are not, some people have emotions under control others don't we all have our limiters
Last edited by: dennis: Aug 7, 11 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is horrible. How can the tri community help their families?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.seattlepi.com/...riathlon-1752110.php

One died, the other is still alive..

I raced this am, and i didnt know this happened or see them
Pull them from the water... Both were in earlier waves to me, i raced 25-29 male

I wonder if this caused the big delay between yellow and red transition.

Some old lady crashed on her bike hard in central park , not sure what happened, i went past and she was being attended to by paramedics for a bad head wound ( she looked 80+)

She wasnt part of the race.

The swim was choppy this am, but nothing insane, we did swim with the current ( readily apparent by the male pro winners swim time of 13 minutes)

I did watch a ton of people who couldnt swim give up or float on noodles down the river...
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously, float on noodles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To everyone, keep the thread related to tri stuff. take politcal messages to the LR. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, they were probably dq'd but the kayakers gave them to people to rest on, but some people floated away with the current, and the kayakers didnt bother to chase them, as they had to deal with 3k swimmers coming in a tt start..

The guys on the noodles probably still had a 28 minute 1500 m swim lol...

I havnt seen my splits yet ( i forgot to start my watch on the dock, we were really hurred) but i think i did the swim in 16-17 minutes (based on time stamps from my wife taking pics)

The current was decent out away from the sea wall

I got greedy and hit one of em head on and knocked my goggles off lol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man. Is this a regular occurrence????? People dying during triathlons?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Die in swim at NYC TRI [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope

People die all the time, it can happen anywhere..

Sometimes it can happen at a tri, sometimes it can happen when you are having sex...

Any stressful activity can bring it on... And a tri
Is stressful...

Its sad, but it happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water was choppy but certainly not to the extent that I would consider dangerous. I've swam in much worse conditions in other races. This was my second time doing this race and it seems as if a not insignificant number of people make this their first triathlon. I don't know if that was the case with the two triathletes but I wouldn't recommend this as a race for first timers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next