Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Turn by turn directions with Garmin 310xt?
Quote | Reply
I am starting to explore various functions on my Garmin 310xt and was curious if anyone has fond a way to get directions or a map on it? I ride a route with my LBS but am normally focussing on the wheel in front, the road, and other potential hazards so am not sure I would be able to navigate the route on my own without getting lost.

Since I have the data saved on my device and PC for the route, can I get my 310xt to show me where to go?

If so, please share how.

Also, if you can, can you find a route through mapmyride or other sources and have directions available?

Thanks!
Last edited by: UMDRunner: Aug 1, 13 21:26
Quote Reply
Re: Turn by turn directions with Garmin 310xt? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 310 was never designed as a primary navigation device. That said, it has some basic functions - breads crumb trails, turn instructions. if you want to repeat a route you've done you can convert that to a course and load it back into the 310. Have a leaf through the manual and also look for the instructions on Garmin Connect.

It's not too difficult, but if you work it out yourself, it becomes easier to do in the future.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 310XT will not give you turn by turn directions, but you can use the map feature to display the 'breadcrumbs' of courses. I use this frequently, and especially in places I am not 100% familiar with. The one thing that always confused me is I would call what I want to do a 'route' and Garmin calls it a 'Course' A 310XT will not display a 'route' on the map, but it will display a 'course'. The one issue you have to watch out for, is when the road you are on makes a gradual turn one way (right in my case last weekend) and the road you are supposed to turn onto makes a gradual turn the other way (left for me last weekend). The breadcrumb will display it like you are going straight since you can't see the other roads and then you end up following the road right and going off course.

DCRainmaker has a good article on how to map using Mapmyride and then transfer it to your 310 using Garmin Training center http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ourses-for-your.html. I have also used Garmin Connect website to create the maps, or to import routes and convert them to Courses. The Garmin Connect seems to be particular about the format of the .GPX file you send it, so I have been converting the GPX files from Mapmyride or other GPX files to GPX tracks using http://www.GPSIES.com (but it the site seems to be down right now) and then importing to Connect and converting to courses and sending to the unit.

You then go under 'Training' in the 310 menus and select courses and whatever you named your course.

I am working on a description of how to do this for our club webpage, so I'll PM you the draft to see if it makes any sense.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, there is a way to have your 310XT give you turn by turn directions. I did a write-up for the 910XT here, but it should work exactly the same for the 310XT: http://benj.n69.ch/...min-forerunner-910xt
Quote Reply