Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubulars - What do with almost new tires after racing?
Quote | Reply
If you have race wheels with tubulars, put new tires on for main races, and train on clinchers what do you do with the old tubular tires that only have a couple hundred kms on them?

The reason I'm asking is I'm swithing from 650's to 700's so will be buying some new wheels. I currently use Zipp 404 clinchers with Tufo tubular clincher tires. That way, I can buy a new pair of race tires each season and continue to use the old tires on my non race wheels keeping the cost down.

Given all the negative comments about Tufo's I'm considering going tubular with any new race wheels. Do people train on their race wheels or just end up with a lot of low mileage used spare tubulars over time?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars - What do with almost new tires after racing? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, As long as the tubies look fine I'll do more than one race on them. When they start to look worn or the tread looks thin I remove them and use them as race spares, already glued and stretched.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars - What do with almost new tires after racing? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I borrowed a friend's P3 for an Oly-distance event last year. The course had some hills and one pretty significant descent. I picked up the bike from this guy and the tires were beyond belief. The tread was peeling up all over the place and cords were showing everywhere. These were some high-end Conti tubulars on a Zipp 404 front and Zipp disc in the back.

Well, I thought I was gonna die. But I rode them. And after a while, I decided to forget about them and I bombed the course as hard as I could go ... including that wicked descent. I understand that guy finally changed out those tires a few months back. They never flatted. He just decided it was finally time. Hmmmm. I wonder what convinced him ... after 4 years?

Bob C.
Quote Reply