Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Q: How much of the old glue to remove?
Quote | Reply
I am changing tubulars on my race wheels and I was wondering how much of the old glue do I need to remove before I put new glue and the new tubular on?

What works best to remove old glue?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Q: How much of the old glue to remove? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is this, Mounting Tubular Day in Las Cruces?! :-)

Edit: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/...unting-tubulars.html
Last edited by: Paulo: May 20, 06 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharpened popsicle stick.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Q: How much of the old glue to remove? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo, your going to make me read? Slowtwitch is for people who do not want to research, only ask questions and have someone else tell you the answer to your question!

:P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smartass! :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I finally read the article and while it does a good job providing instructions on how to mount a tubular it says nothing about removing old glue.

So how much to remove and how?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooooops... I actually thought that it was covered on the article.

Anyway, I have watched my bike mechanic mount tubulars many times, and he always used a steel-wire brush to remove the old glue, but not all of it. Just to remove the glue that is flacking off and to rough up the glue that will remain on the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably don't use a steel wire brush are carbon rims. For carbon rims, a semi-rough scouring pad (like the plastic Brillo pads) would work well as an alternative to a steel brush for removing loose glue.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Q: How much of the old glue to remove? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! And awesome job at Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Q: How much of the old glue to remove? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Probably don't use a steel wire brush are carbon rims. For carbon rims, a semi-rough scouring pad (like the plastic Brillo pads) would work well as an alternative to a steel brush for removing loose glue.[/reply]

you can also use acetone to dissolve the glue, if it's really layered on there. This is safe for carbon rims afaik, I've done it on my Zipp without destroying anything. Just don't let the solvent sit on the rims, given enough time the acetone will attack the epoxy.

As a rule the glue doesn't need to be removed, only if it's really thick or flaking off.

If the glue is red, it's probably shellac based, so acetone won't work, try rubbing alcohol instead.

For more details than you could ever want, search rec.bicycles.tech for 'remove tubular glue', and remember what's appropriate for steel rims probably won't be a good idea for carbon..

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/search?group=rec.bicycles.tech&q=remove+tubular+glue&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply