Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubular Gluing question - 3 days???
Quote | Reply
I'm sure in some way this has been answered. But a quick search didn't come up with the answer.

My LBS has said that they need 3 days to glue tubulars, 2 nights for two sets of layers to cure and the third for the tire to go on. This sounds a bit excessive to me and seems to be too long a process?

What glue/process do you guys use for your tubs?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [joshmackow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One coat on rim + one coat on tire.
Wait a bit (1-4 hours?).
One more coat on rim + one more coat on tire.
Wait overnight.
One coat on rim and mount tire.
Wait overnight.
Ride.

This is how I do it for new tires/wheels. If there is an existing layer of glue, I may skip a step or just do one coat, wait an hour, do another coat, and then let them hang out overnight and ride the next day.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow the directions on the glue you're using. The 3 day process was really meant for a time when the glue wasn't as good (per my LBS). I followed the directions on the Vittoria Mastik bottle and never had any issues and it was still harder than hell to get the tire off:

Mastik directions taken directly from the website:

Gluing and mounting
Lightly abrade the rim base to provide a key for the cement, clean with gentle solvent, and leave to dry. (Carbon rims: follow manufacturer’s instructions, or just clean with soapy water.)
2 Clean the base tape of the tubular with just soapy water and a gentle cleaner (no solvent) and let dry.
3 Spread a thin layer of Mastik over the rim, and over the base tape.
4 After 5–10 minutes, apply a second coat of Mastik to the rim only.
5 Leave to dry for 3–5 minutes.
6 Mount the tubular on the rim, inflate slightly, and center it.
7 Inflate the tubular to working pressure. Mastik reaches its full strength after about 24 hours.
8 Before each ride, check pressure and inflate tubular to the pressure indicated on the sidewall.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 day process is best if there is no glue on rim or tyre if there is already glue on rim and tyre just one coat on rim tyre straight on inflate slightly centre, inflate to full pressure, leave over night, ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [FKDUPJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the glue and the state of the tire / rim.

Well there is already some glue, I just bought the bike and the glue job was pretty bad the first time around (tire was moving and could be peeled off). So that explains my complaints about the control issues on the new bike and the extender wasn't on right so it wasn't holding pressure.

I just don't want to wait 3 days when I glue tires myself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4-5 thin layers of Mastik on the rim and 3 thin layers of Mastik on the base tape. at least 12 hours between each application. Actually about to start the process now as i'm only a month away from my first race

oh the joys of tubular glue sniffing
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
4-5 thin layers of Mastik on the rim and 3 thin layers of Mastik on the base tape. at least 12 hours between each application. Actually about to start the process now as i'm only a month away from my first race

oh the joys of tubular glue sniffing

You get half credit (for your last sentence). Everyone else fails. For a passing grade, beer must be mentioned.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it was a bad glue job i would recommend removing all glue from the rim and starting from scratch also i would learn the proper application and do it yourself. i wouldn't trust a shop gluing my tubs with the amount of half ass glue jobs i have seen out there.

day 1
lightly sand rim
clean with acetone
1 thin layer on rim
1thin layer on base tape
day 2
2nd thin layer on rim
day 3
third thin layer on rim
mount tyre straight after
day 4
ready to ride
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way to much glue
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [FKDUPJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
note the word "thin"

i think people usually get 2 tires per tube of Mastik. i use about 2 & 1/4 per two tires, and this include any touch-up i need to do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been riding and gluing tubulars for 24 years.....never once spent more than an hour gluing a tire on (other than stretching a tire before gluing).

One coat on both tire and rim.
Wait 20-40 minutes
Second coat on both.
Install tire.
Pumps to 120-140 psi.
Ride the next day.

I have never rolled a single tire in all that time (and my tires are a b*tch to get off the rim, as well)

There is a lot of myth and mystique in road cycling. 3 day gluing process is one of them.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not interested in starting a tape vs glue thread as I think it's been pretty well beaten to death - but you may want to consider using tufo tape.

At a minimum, for training. Simply because it's a heck of a lot faster/cheaper to mount than waiting around / paying for / or doing a properly glued job yourself.

Al Morrison did a test a few years ago and I am not sure if it has been updated since, but apparently ~0.0002 diff in Crr between glued and taped. Believe that's approximately a 2-3 watt diff at AG speeds (35-40kph)... unless you're at the pointy end where a handful of theoretical seconds is what is preventing you from achieving your goals, I'd say go for the tape.

For sure, you can glue the tubular onto your race rims - but as many have pointed out - the amt of glue and skill required to ensure it's literally not EVER coming off the rim can be time consuming, expensive, and painful. But if you're of the school that it's pitstop or bust, then go for it.

I have both clinchers and tubulars. Different tools for different races/etc. I wish I could tell you tyre choice, the hysterisis between tubular and clincher, etc were the major hurdles I'm facing in my AG records - but it ain't. Just need to train harder, smarter, and race the same. (I do, however, try to get the lowest Crr tyres /tube system I can afford while keeping an eye on the relative puncture protection it affords)

Have fun. Don't sniff the glue.
Last edited by: slowshortround: Feb 14, 14 1:11
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Been riding and gluing tubulars for 24 years.....never once spent more than an hour gluing a tire on (other than stretching a tire before gluing).

Wait 20-40 minutes
Second coat on both.
Install tire.
Pumps to 120-140 psi.
Ride the next day.

I have never rolled a single tire in all that time (and my tires are a b*tch to get off the rim, as well)

There is a lot of myth and mystique in road cycling. 3 day gluing process is one of them.

Haven't been doing it as long as you, but I do pretty much the same. Works just fine and no problems.

When cleaning the rim get Goo Gone and some scotch brite pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was on tubulars a few years ago I did pretty much what you are saying to do.

When I was a teenager I would mount the tire on the rim and then poke glue in between the tire and rim with a screwdriver and a popsicle stick. Never had a problem back then either. I wouldn't recommend doing that now but it worked.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to glue my pair of tires soon and have a related question.

Do I need a clean brush each day for the glue? Is there a way to save it over the few days so it will not dry out?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [slowshortround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thin coat on rim. Mount tire,pump up tire 160-170 psi , put on gear , get nutrition, go ride. 30 mins tops
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Conti glue. 1 tube (25g) for 1 wheel/tire. 1 thin layer on each. Wait 12 hours (recommended) and another thin layer on the wheel. Mount the tire and let it cure over night. Ride. I use latex gloves/finger to apply the glue to base tape and rim when I use the tubes of glue. I've only glued up around 20-30 wheels and I'm down to maybe 15 minutes to apply the first layer and 5 for the final.

Goof off to clean rims. Nasty stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Gluing question - 3 days??? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:

Do I need a clean brush each day for the glue? Is there a way to save it over the few days so it will not dry out?

Steve

Follow my method above and it won't take multiple days or brushes....

Thee is ZERO need to follow a multi-day gluing process.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get flux brushes at Walmart, they are pretty cheap.

http://www.walmart.com/...;search_constraint=0

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:

Steve

It's matter of using the correct solvent. Try mineral turpentine (that's what it's called in Australia). If that doesn't work then use disposable brushes, often referred to acid brushes.

Another technique is to lay the glue on the centre of the rim then spead it over the rim with your finger (with gloves).
Last edited by: nickag: Feb 14, 14 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a sponge brush from a hardware store. Super cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for this process here.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Wait 20-40 minutes
Second coat on both.
Install tire.
Pumps to 120-140 psi.
Ride the next day.

THIS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will never again ride on a shop-glued tubular, perhaps with the exception of Daimo at the Service Course, but you pay big $ for that type of service. Every single rolled tub experience I've had was when a shop glued. The three day process is probably overkill for road tires but for CX it is essential. And the consequences of a rolled tub can range from DNFing to recreating the Belocki incident. If you passed first grade art class, you can glue a tubular following this process. My preference is to use the tubes of mastik and acid brushes as you can squeeze the glue directly onto the surface and the brush is just for spreading it. I've found the following tips to be a massive help:
1) get a set of cheap tubular rims and cover the rim beds it with blue masking tape. Wipe the top of the tape clean.
2) Scrape the base tape (if latex coated) and clean off all excess debris (the edge of a file is the best tool for this). Shopvac is good to get up the goobers/dust.
3) Install your tubulars on these rims for a couple of days pumped up to >100 psi.
4) Apply black electrical tape to one of the brake tracks of your intended wheel set. Clean the rim surface.
5) From this point on, you need to wear gloves and keep things clean.
5) Remove the tires from your stretcher rims, apply a thin coat. Squeeze the mastik in little lines onto the base tape of the partially inflated tub and spread it out with the brush, just until it changes color. Keep it off the sidewalls you slob. Once it is dry, tires go back onto the stretcher rims.
6) Thin coat onto the rim (you can use your trainer in place of a truing stand to hold the tire). Don't worry if some gets into the spoke holes. Same thing, squeeze a line of mastik out right onto the rim, spread with the brush, working in ~10" sections. This avoids the dreaded mastik spider webs.
7) # of times you repeat this up up to you. I've been told that a few thin coats is better that a couple of thick coats. I do 3 on the rim and 2 on the tire (before mounting, the tire glue can be dry, just hit the rim with a thin coat to activate the mastik), but that is up to you. It is important to keep the tires on the rim between glue applications, it shrinks the base tape.
8) Because you prepared and stretched, the mounting step is now easy and low risk. Rushing to this step is what results in botched glue jobs. CONFIRM THE TREAD IS POINTED THE CORRECT DIRECTION, mount the tire (with dry glue) from the wheel side with the electrical tape on it, there are a bunch of youtube vids showing the right way to do this.
9) Glued wheel is then checked for straightness (after partial inflation), you can eyeball this or do it on the trainer/truing stand.. You now have to frantically straighten the tire on the rim (while the glue is still soft), but because it was pre-stretched probably went on very close to straight and you can correct if it is not perfect. You will never get a hand made tubular (FMB, dugast) perfectly straight.

It sounds like a lot, but once you've got the tools and have run through it once, it is not that much contact time, just lots of time between steps. I like to pick a rest week before the season and will get up early and spend 30 minutes for 3 days doing it. This is not a good process to rush or half ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those carbon rims seem prone to having the glue peel off if you don't clean the release agent off the surface with a little acetone and light sandpaper. Somewhere in all the posts above some guy said coat of glue on the tire and rim (thin) let it dry then put some glue on the rim, pump up a little and center and then inflate fully. I frequently glue on tires and go ride, just take it easy around turns as they are not very well bonded for a few more hours.

I ride home all the time on spares with no glue, sometimes for hours.

Most people make a mess because they glop on a ton of glue and don't practice mounting the tire. The key is stretching the tire hard when it's half way on, otherwise you make a big mess getting the last part on.

Cyclocross tires are different.
Quote Reply

Prev Next