Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm also curious to hear your opinion of the Pro One. Some people swear by them and others complain about sidewall cuts. If you look at the Flo data, the tire performed sneaky-well from an aero perspective.

Have around 10K miles on them over about 18 months. I had one catastrophic sidewall cut very early on my first set, which was annoying because it was a new tire. Nothing since.

So I don't know what that means. Maybe they had issues, and fixed it, maybe they suck and I'm mostly lucky, or maybe there's no real issue with them at all vs. any other high performance tire. I am not easy on tires. I've taken plenty of brutal potholes on these things with no issue, and I'm 175lbs. So I kind of suspect they're OK. But this is just one opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second your opinion on Pro One: phenomenal tire and more durable than expected. Last summer I ride a set all the way to casing flattening on rear including a couple small punctures that sealed. Thought my experience & removing has not been as consistently positive as yours; sometimes it’s a snap and others a wrestling match. Pure speculation but it seems tolerances might be somewhat inconsistent.

Good to know about the Dynaplug too. I have one in seat bag and am it’s just a matter of time before a test comes up.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jan 1, 18 17:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC you run a Hed Jet Black 9 front and the new Aerocoach disc rear, correct? Are you training on these tires and then switching over to the CS for races or are the Pro Ones on different wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
IIRC you run a Hed Jet Black 9 front and the new Aerocoach disc rear, correct? Are you training on these tires and then switching over to the CS for races or are the Pro Ones on different wheels?

No, that's not me. For my TT bike I run Flo carbon 90/disc. My road bike races wheels are HED Jet Plus 6 front/rear. I tend to keep the CS on those all the time, as I generally only use them for races.

I have the Pro Ones on my Flo 30 set, which I use for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently use sealant on two of my bikes... my 29'er mountain bike and my TT bike. I use the Truckerco Cream sealant... believe it to be similar to Stan's Race formula for much less.

On the mountain bike I run tubeless and carry a tube. Before going tubeless got caught 9 miles up a mountain one time... never had an issue with tubeless, all punctures sealed without any noticeable issue.

I run latex tubes on my TT bike with sealant. This is for flat protection during an event... I've read pressure losses can be minimal, never had to test that myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always ride with sealant and have found it sometimes works (e.g., simple goathead puncture). I had a sealant-spurting nail hole on my road bike the other day, though, and fixed it quickly and completely with a Genuine Innovations plug. It held well enough to get me down the steep turny Westlake Blvd/Decker Cyn. descent safely; two weeks later I'm still riding that plugged tire. When I ride alone, I always carry the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack because I'm old with bad shoulders and thumbs and can't get a tubeless tire back on the rim otherwise. If I ride with my husband, I let him deal with it because I'm sure the flat was his fault anyway (kidding). With respect to the original mounting of the tire, I got my husband one of the Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pumps, with a separate high capacity air chamber you release to seal the tire, and he loves it. He's found that easier than even an air compressor. Several companies make those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Yes, sealant always used. I don't use "repair sealant" however. I figure that if sealant failed, dumping more in won't help. I will out in a few more ounces when I get home after a bacon plugging. But I rely on residual sealant while plugging on the road.

Yes, 23-25mm road tubeless.

One caveat is I'd be skeptical of plugging the Vittoria Corsa Speed. The tread and casing are so incredibly thin, not much there for the bacon to stick to. But I haven't tried it. I've plugged a variety of Schwalbe and Hutchinson road tubeless tires.

It should work fine. The plug isn't held in place by "sticking" to the sidewalls of the hole. Instead, the loop in the plug cord that is formed inside the tire upon tool removal (it helps to give the tool a 1/4 turn twist before removing) forms a "head" that prevents it from coming out. Especially after allowing the sealant to "clot" on it after a while.

This is why it's just as effective IME to just use cotton butcher's cord as the plug. I save the "bacon strips" for situations (i.e. dampness) where the extra stickiness helps.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

It should work fine.

It works OK. I've successfully plugged road tires with them. Just not as good, in my opinion, as Dynaplug.

Quote:

The plug isn't held in place by "sticking" to the sidewalls of the hole

The Dynaplug ones are, particularly long-term. They seem to almost "chemically bond" and melt into the tire, which gives me confidence in them as a longer-term fix I can just leave in a training tire. I don't know if it's an actual chemical bond. They just seem to be far more malleable and sticky. The GI ones just always seem like a little piece of string stuck in your tire. At least that's my perception.

No need for creating loops or fancy twists. Punch-and-pull. Done. Dynaplug is just a slick system. The milled tool is also really solid vs. the easily bent GI needle thing.

It's worth the extra $45 for me (though most of that is a one-time hit for the fancy milled tool pill). The GI system is fine too.

Edit: Yeah, the Dynaplug site desribes the plug as infused with "viscoelastic". That seems to be the actual word I was searching for. They do look like they melt into the tire with a rubber cement-like bond.

Edit edit: I see now you may have been referring to the CS specifically. I was making more general responses of GI vs. Dynaplug. I've never tried to plug a CS, so your GI experience on that specific tire is good information.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 2, 18 15:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

It should work fine.

It works OK. I've successfully plugged road tires with them. Just not as good, in my opinion, as Dynaplug.

Quote:

The plug isn't held in place by "sticking" to the sidewalls of the hole

The Dynaplug ones are, particularly long-term. They seem to almost "chemically bond" and melt into the tire, which gives me confidence in them as a longer-term fix I can just leave in a training tire. I don't know if it's an actual chemical bond. They just seem to be far more malleable and sticky. The GI ones just always seem like a little piece of string stuck in your tire. At least that's my perception.

No need for creating loops or fancy twists. Punch-and-pull. Done. Dynaplug is just a slick system. The milled tool is also really solid vs. the easily bent GI needle thing.

It's worth the extra $45 for me (though most of that is a one-time hit for the fancy milled tool pill). The GI system is fine too.

Edit: Yeah, the Dynaplug site desribes the plug as infused with "viscoelastic". That seems to be the actual word I was searching for. They do look like they melt into the tire with a rubber cement-like bond.

Edit edit: I see now you may have been referring to the CS specifically. I was making more general responses of GI vs. Dynaplug. I've never tried to plug a CS, so your GI experience on that specific tire is good information.

Nothing fancy required. Push in, twist 90 degrees, pull tool out. The "loop" happens automatically.

Here's what a cotton butcher's cord plug ends up looking like inside the tire when working with Orange Seal:

Here's the sequence of how it got to that point:

- Insert pre-cut cotton butcher's cord (or "bacon" strip) in tool. With cotton, this can be done in advance and the tool stored that way:

- Insert tool into puncture hole

- Twist tool 90 degrees about the shaft and remove by pulling it straight out of tire

- Trim excess cord with pocket knife (I have a tiny promotional knife I keep in the tool kit) being careful not to pull excessively on the cords. You can see how quickly the cord soaks up and is "infused" by the sealant. That eventually dries to create the "plug".

- Here's what it looks like immediately after trimming and wiping excess sealant

- Here's what it looks like after a couple hundred miles.

I guess I just find the Dynaplug thing to be a bit "excessive"...especially at ~10X the initial cost, and then even more so for recurring...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 8, 19 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

This is why it's just as effective IME to just use cotton butcher's cord as the plug. I save the "bacon strips" for situations (i.e. dampness) where the extra stickiness helps.

Borderline genius

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jan 2, 18 19:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures worth a thousand words; I have a much better understanding of what is being discussed. Question: How effective is the sealant at temperatures we are now experiencing in the Midwest? Will this stuff work below freezing and into single digits?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed- nice job with the photos!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread. Just want to add that, for what it's worth, I've had horrific experiences with the Shwalbe Pro One and will not use that tire -- or at least, would not until I read such positive things here. Like trail, I don't know if it's just me but I blew out sidewalls on three out of four of them. Could have been a bad batch or just bad luck, but I was running proper pressure and all. I didn't know about all these fixes at the time so I tossed them.

Since then I went through Corsa Speeds (very fragile) and Specialized Turbos (very expensive and ride like shit), and now I'm about ready to give up on road tubeless until something better comes out. I have had the IRC jawns on order for a few months but apparently they are backed up in production.

I don't understand why Specialized can't make a Turbo Cotton in tubeless. That is just the best riding road tire and when combined with latex tubes, as supple as anything I've ridden on the road. I wish I could run them tubeless.

Then there's Continental. What is it going to take for Continental to come out with something tantamount to the 4ks2 for tubeless? Seems to be a big missed opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic pictures!

I have carried around nail clippers to chop the ends off the strip, but haven't ended up needing a strip yet. The cotton cord definitely looks good (and inexpensive).
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Pictures worth a thousand words; I have a much better understanding of what is being discussed. Question: How effective is the sealant at temperatures we are now experiencing in the Midwest? Will this stuff work below freezing and into single digits?

Thanks.

It varies by the sealant...I know Orange Seal has a version that's intended for colder temps. You'll have to check the individual sealants.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
As a road cyclist I'll answer a narrow part of this question: bacon on training rides.

So I'm only talking about 23-25mm tires. And since I rely on neutral support while racing, I don't need to attempt flat changes while racing.

Side o' bacon has proven effective, and it's not my first go-to strategy on getting a training flat. Anecdotally, it works on about 2/3 of punctures that don't automatically seal. Just about everything but sidewall slashes. So you can get going again in about a minute. I like this for group rides because I don't like making everyone wait around for me. The key is making sure you don't break the bead. Because once you do, you're putting a tube in.

TomA has been on here pitching the low-cost Genuine Innovations kit. I tried it. It's "OK," but I vastly prefer the Dynplug Micro Pro "pill." The bacon is much better in a couple ways. It's thicker and stickier. I mean *really* sticky. Also it's bullet tipped, which is great for punching through the tire with authority, but more importantly, "anchoring" the plug. The biggest worry I had with Genuine Innovations plugs is the plug sliding out. The little miniature knife in the pill is great too. For me that $50 is worth making really quick, pretty darn reliable no-taking-the-wheel-off flat repairs for the rare times that sealant actually fails. The seal is good enough for that for training tires I usually don't attempt any further repair when I get home. I've had 3 plugs hold for the life of the tire. I've been confident enough in them to do 50MPH mountain descents on them.

For race tires I still patch internally, though, as that still has to be considered the gold standard for reliability.

Great info. When you say you patch internally in races, how do you do it?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Great info. When you say you patch internally in races, how do you do it?

I don't patch during races. I just meant that if I flat on my race tires, I take them home, unmount them, and patch the inside of the tire. That just uses a standard tube patch kit and the exact same process, you're just patching the inside of a tire instead of a tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, just wow. Plus bacon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
TJ56 wrote:

Thanks.

It varies by the sealant...I know Orange Seal has a version that's intended for colder temps. You'll have to check the individual sealants.

In my experience no, sealent does not work as well in sub freezing temps. I have had both stans and orange seal freeze while in the tire. Never caused me an issue but there is no way it would have sealed a puncture. I saw it with both brands while breaking down setups to change tires for different fatbike conditions.

Can be minimized by keeping your bike in warmer ( above freezing ) temps while you're not riding. I quit storing my bike in my car and garage while I wasn't riding and it helped a ton keeping the sealant fluid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used my Dynaplug for the first time today and it worked like a charm. Decent size hole that the sealant wouldn't fix. took maybe 90 secs to insert a plug.....fill with CO2 and go. Rode about 35 miles home with no air loss. I don't plan on changing tires. so I will let you know how the plug holds up.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:

In my experience no, sealent does not work as well in sub freezing temps. I have had both stans and orange seal freeze while in the tire. Never caused me an issue but there is no way it would have sealed a puncture. I saw it with both brands while breaking down setups to change tires for different fatbike conditions.

How cold?

I've noted that when other things have frozen in my garage, Orange Seal is still going strong.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably should have quantified that a bit. Below freezing, mostly in temps below 15 - 20 degrees F.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless flats: sealant or side o' bacon? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
talking head wrote:

How cold?

I've noted that when other things have frozen in my garage, Orange Seal is still going strong.

Orange seal makes a subzero sealant for colder temps. It has a higher alcohol content, doesn't seal quite as well but holds up well in the cold.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your photos are showing broken links for me. Any idea why?
Quote Reply

Prev Next