Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trying to outsmart my program.. [Newbie Stuff]
Quote | Reply
Alright gang,

So, problem with me and my general outlook on physical fitness - I tend to program-hop. That is, whenever I've gotten into a weightlifting, strength training, etc situation, I get 'grass is greener' syndrome and swap programs. Or, I swap things I don't like in for things that I do. I think it's a boredom issue. Oddly, not really a thing when on a bike or running. Worth noting that I've completed ... just gobs of standardized workout protocols as written in my life. Anyway.

So, my program (12 week, beginner level, for sprint distance) calls for 2 bike sessions this week - both of them 30-40min, Z2. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, and I'm certainly not claiming any knowledge about training or whatnot greater than the person who wrote the program. But, I do have a training tool at my disposal - my (wife's) peloton - that I think could be leveraged to benefit me.

Here's the deal; I have bike/swim/bike for the next 3 days, including today. The two bike workouts are the same, and I'm wondering if I could put in a sprint-interval for the peloton today for the same duration. Where's the flaw in my logic or a bad idea, here?

M
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to outsmart my program.. [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ride. It doesn't really even matter all that much what program you are doing at this point in your progression, you could switch programs every alternate Tuesday if that's what floats your boat and still make some good progression.

As long as you are doing some swimming, some cycling, and some running, its all good.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to outsmart my program.. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Just ride. It doesn't really even matter all that much what program you are doing at this point in your progression, you could switch programs every alternate Tuesday if that's what floats your boat and still make some good progression.

As long as you are doing some swimming, some cycling, and some running, its all good.

My man. Thanks. I kind of thought this is one of those, 'you're so new it'll be fine' things. But, with my luck I'd get a response like, 'scientifically proven that your left leg will fall off if you do this..'
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to outsmart my program.. [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m_hoop wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

My man. Thanks. I kind of thought this is one of those, 'you're so new it'll be fine' things. But, with my luck I'd get a response like, 'scientifically proven that your left leg will fall off if you do this..'

I'll just add the caveat that it doesn't matter all that much as long as you don't overdo it. That's what the programs are designed to do, give you a nice steady progression from week to week. But if you want, you can switch between programs of a similar level with no issues. I wouldn't try switching from a "couch to sprint tri in 12 weeks" plan to a "advanced IM plan for Kona qualifiers" plan, or even an "advanced sprint distance plan". It'll be too much and you run the risk of injury.

My rule of thumb is that I should feel like I could do the same workout again within an hour of finishing it. If it takes longer than that, I've overcooked things and it's hard to maintain consistency.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to outsmart my program.. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sound advice and I will keep in mind. I'm not looking to suddenly think I'm actually in shape to do it. Just want to use what I have to maximum effectiveness.
Quote Reply