Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please?
Quote | Reply
I ran my first marathon one and a half weeks ago, a trail run. I felt great during and after the run. Next day I still felt great other than swollen IT band, which I was expecting. Only very minor muscle soreness and not at all tired or worn down. I even tried a little jogging the day after, while walking the dog, but my legs weren't quite ready. Three days after the race I decided to get back in the groove and run a few miles. When I tried to run I was completely out of breath, like I've never run before. I have to teach a couple hours of cardio kickboxing in the evenings and the same thing. We start to jump rope and I am panting! I wasn't too bothered by it at first, but now it has been 1 1/2 weeks and I'm ready to get moving at a decent pace, but can't. I ran a couple of miles today and was breathing like I was sprinting. Anyone ever have this happen? Any advice? This just sucks! I wanted to take some time off after this race, but not completely OFF! Any advice, encouragement would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please? [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always take 1 week totally off except for some recovery type activity. I think you're expecting a little too much too soon. Remember that the muscles you use for respiration are tired as well - that is probably what is contributing to your breathlessness. Are you doing good nutrition, esp iron sources?

Re: Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please? [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No fuel before the race, no fuel during the race and started a diet the day after. I have to lose 10 lbs to fight in a lower weight class this summer and don't do well dropping weight during training. I have debated if nutrition, or lack of, could be contributing, but just can't find a scientific reason for it. Perhaps the iron is worth investigating if this continues. If this is normal recovery, I guess I'll just wait it out. Patience is not my strong suit :)
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please? [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ran the Honolulu Marathon last Sunday (15th time). I like to get in a few swims the week after the race. Not hard, just a relaxing ocean swim. The cool water feels good on the muscles and the heart rate stays down. I also went to the gym and lifted lighter than usual weights too. It always works for me but everyone is different. I am probably a lot older than you so plans could differ. Enjoy a couple of weeks of easy workouts. You will be just fine soon. Kick back and enjoy the Holidays! :~) You deserve it!

Aloha,

Larry
Last edited by: Larry Mackey: Dec 16, 04 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing abnormal in your experience Kitty. You just beat the proverbial crap out of yourself and it will take a little time to recover. The first one is the worst too.

Work on your swimming for a week and put the running shoes away. You'll be fine in no time.

I'm also a big proponent of the ice bath after giving my legs a beating. 15 minutes in a tub filled with cold water and an 8lb bag of ice and the next day you won't know that you've just run a marathon.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take a couple weeks off or easy. Its normal to be in pain for some time after a marathon. I think it took me about 3 weeks to fully recover.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please? [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone. Just wanted to make sure this was normal and there was an end in sight. Sounds like I just expected too much too soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriKitty, did you say NO FUEL before or during? Yikes, that's hard on your body.

Quote | Reply
Need me to rub the sore areas? ;-)

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is fairly normal. A marathon can really beat your body up. I did not run for almost two weeks after my last marathon (November 21) and am planning on only running easily for a few weeks more. Even swimming easily two days after the race was hard, and I am a reasonably competent swimmer. Just take it easy because you can hurt yourself by pushing too hard now. Also, remember that when you are starting back up that you are not in as good shape as you were when you ran your race.

Congratulations on your first marathon! They say that they are harder than a half IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please? [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Congratulations on your first marathon! They say that they are harder than a half IM.
Oooh. Nice to know. :)

Quote | Reply
oops, sorry, to many kitty's on this forum! :-) Wrong kitty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me get ths straight, you ran a marathon on no fuel and you're not recovering properly because you need to cut weight for a fight SIX MONTHS from now?!

Eat. Now. You just shredded your legs. You need to make sure you recover from that before putting too much load on them again.

Do you have a pre competition weigh in or is a day-of weighing? I.e. why don't you just cut water weight at the weigh in and then rehydrate like everyone else =)
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble recovering from 1st marathon-advice please? [Malk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the weight strategy, but going on a diet the day after a marathon is a BAD idea, in my humble opinion. Give yourself a week or so to eat normally, and then maybe start cutting back (or cutting out the guilty pleasures).

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply