Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trip to Boulder, CO
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I wanted to reach out and seek some recommendations as I'll be visiting Boulder, CO in early August for a business trip. Specifically, I'm staying at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Boulder located at 2601 Canyon Boulevard in Boulder.

I'd like to explore some running and cycling routes that are considered must-dos in the area. Additionally, I have my sights set on climbing Mount Evans, but I could use some assistance with the logistics, such as how to get there, where to rent a bike, if there are any open group rides I could tag along with, etc.,. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Last edited by: hwangnyc: Jun 29, 23 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Trip to Boulder, CO [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder Reservoir "The Res" is the place to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering you want to go to Mount Evan, I'm assuming you have a car?

Where you're staying is the heart of our big-box store alley, but there are some protected roads and bike paths close by to get you out of town.

Easy Running Routes from your Hotel
1. Boulder Creek Path is 1/2 mi south of your hotel if you take Folsom. Once on the creek path you can head west a number of miles. You'll run through town and then eventually up into Boulder canyon where there path turns to gravel. If you head east, there are many miles to be run, but you need to do some navigating as the path branches in multiple directions. Easy enough if you plot it first or at least pay attention to where you've gone.

2. Trail Run / Hike : Mt Sanitas is due west of you at the base of Sunshine Canyon / Mapleton Road. Park whereever you can along the road - there will be plenty of cars - I prefer to "run" the route Clockwise - Taking the steeper hike to the top and having the more gradual descent for running. (although the top is still steep).

Longer Options for running (You'd have to drive to)
1. From Tom Watson Park you have two options
a. Boulder Res as mentioned before is surrounded by relatively quiet dirt roads and paths. Keep in mind that if you exit the res from the main gate you'll have to pay to get back in. You can enter and exits from either Tom Watson or the "west" trailhead (it's actually north) without paying.
b. Lobo Trail is a crushed cinder commuter pathway between Boulder and Longmont. From Tom Watson you'd pick up a spur trail that takes you east to the Lobo. Once on the Lobo (you'll cross under the railroad tracks, then a slight grade up to a bridge before intersection the Lobo - I'd head left ( East / North East). This gets you more miles without navigating.

"Road" Riding from the Hotel - Climbing / Iconic
1. Flagstaff is both beautiful and iconic, you should probably do it. From your hotel it's a little convulated to get to while avoiding bad roads. You can either link some short paths together through campus to get to Baseline road, which you take west to the climb OR you can pop over to the creek path (from the running section) and take that quieter streets like 9ths and 6th ave, which you would then take south to Baseline. Regardless, riding Flagstaff has 2 main options: The "Amphitheater" (about half way) or "The mailboxes" (the top of the continuous climb). The climb starts with a quick kick up, when you're able to look over town you'll be amazes at how much elevation you've gained. It then eases off and snakes the contours of the mountain. About half-way there is a road to the right that take you to the amphitheather overlook. There's just a short bit of climbing after you turn onto this road and then a quick loop at the top. If you bypass this and continue up the main climb, the road kicks steeper almost immediately. You then enter a steep left / right switchback and it continues at this grade for 1/2 mile before easing off a bit again. A couple more steeper switchbacks at the top and you'll crest the climb with a long series of mailboxes on your right (and slumped over cyclists). The Flagstaff descent is moderate speed and very twisty. You're often slowed by cars. Make sure you stay in control.

2. While Flagstaff is iconic, I much prefer Sunshine and / or Fourmile canyon. Riding sunshine starts at Mt Sanitas as mentioned in the running section. This is less trafficked than Flagstaff and longer. It starts at a great grade that you can ride easy or push harder. You'll hit a switchback about 10-15 minutes in and then a short steep section after that. I think this is the perfect grade. It kinda forces you to go threshold (or harder) and it feels so good. After this it'll ease off for a short bit until you pass Poorman road (15 to 25 minutes in) (dirt). Following this is an unrelenting steep section that leads to a short fast downhill bit. From here the road continues to climb, turning to dirt, prior to reaching the town of Gold Hill. To note - the Sunshine descent is fast and windy. This is fun, but make sure you're in control.

Fourmile is my favorite canyon and is located up Boulder Canyon. You would take the creek path until it ends and dumps you into Boulder canyon. Note that the Creek path turns to dirt, but it's easily rideable on a road bike. Fourmile has a gradual grade and meanders next to a river for the majority of it's length. It's a quiet but windy road, so you shouldn't encounter many cars but stay aware because it can be hard to see cyclists. about 1/4 of the way up you'll pass the bottom of Poorman road. This is a steeper dirt climb that you can do on a road bike to make a loop with Sunshine as noted above. Climbing Fourmile until the Townsite of Salina is a great goal. At this junction you can go left, where the grade eases off and the road turns to dirt until you reach the defunct mining town of "Sunset" OR you can go right where the grade kicks up, soon turns to dirt, and you top out at Gold Hill as mentioned in the Sunshine description.

3. Personally, I would avoid Left Hand Canyon. It's fine, but it's not special. It's a longer, easier grade on a busier road with a good shoulder. The last 1k is very steep until the town of ward. Earlier in the ride you can fork to the right and keep it easier until the town of Jamestown, where the climb kicks significantly steeper. This is, however, your best bet if you want a longer more moderate continuous climb.

"Road" Riding from the Hotel - Flat / rolling

Getting out of Boulder to the North is relatively easy for you, but a bit of a pedal through town. I would take Folsom, directly behind your hotel due north. At Iris ave. Folsom becomes 26th. Keep going north through this neighborhood right. At the Jay Rd Stop sign take a right to 28th st / 36. From here you can either continue on Jay east to 51st which takes you to Boulder Res OR turn left on 36 and take this out of town.

1. "36" is the main artery out of Boulder to the north. It is a popular road for cyclists, used in races, and has a wide shoulder. However, the speed limit is quit high and I personally limit my time on it. You'll need to take it get to Left Hand Canyon above and you can also take it for the flatter routs that you Neva / Niwot / St. Vrain / Hygiene roads.
2. Neva- Niwot / St. Vrain / Hygiene / Nelson roads / 63rd / 75th are the staples of roadies in North Boulder. You can loop these or combine them with others. They're long and straight, Have good shoulders, and cars at at moderate speeds. Everything out there is a big box, so it's easy to Navigate. Remember the mountains are always to your west - you can see them no matter where you are.
3. The Dirt roads (51st, Oxford, Ouray, 43rd) to the north are perfectly fine on a road bike and quiet. I ride these more often then not. Look to make a loop out of them using the paved roads mentioned in #2.
4. A Hygiene loop is a great starter pack. You'd take 63rd to 65th to St. Vrain to the store in Hygiene, grab a bite to eat, then take 75th back to town.

Bike Shops to Rent from
If you have a car (or want to take an Uber) - The Specialized Experience Center is the best shop to rent from. They have all their bikes, multiple levels and sizes, for great prices. You can reserve online (http://www.specializedboulder.com).

The closest shop to you is probably Sports Garage- You can rent / demo Mountain or Gravel bikes here. I don't believe they do road?

If you're a Rapha Cycling CLub member, their shop is a short walk away on Pearl St.

University Bikes is a longer walk, on the west end of pearl, but they should be able to set you up with road / gravel / mountain bikes.

If you want Gravel or mountain bike route recommendations, let me know.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jun 29, 23 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
East coaster here who brought bike to CO for short trip last year including boulder.

I rode Flagstaff and had no regrets. Very cool. I only had a short time to ride that day so it was good to just have right there. As part of our trip, we went to Idaho springs and stayed the night there and I rode Mount Evans first thing in the morning. I had my own bike and did not have to rent so I don't know what the situation is there, so maybe some locals can comment on that. However, I would suggest if you wanted to do an epic ride right out of Boulder, either in addition or instead of Evans, ride from Boulder up to brainard lake. We drove there from Boulder to do a hike, man that would be an amazing ride to ride all the way up there from Boulder. it's at top of left hand and you just take the turn up and keep going up. It's beautiful up there at the lake.

You can Google and look at other forums on this as well...While Mount Evans is amazing and epic, if you're renting a bike, not sure how big the tires would be, but the pavement quality at the top of Mount Evans would be horrifying to descend on skinny road tires. My wife met me at the top with our rental car so I did not have to ride down and I was really happy about that. I literally would want a mountain bike to descend the top half, plus you can't lose your concentration because you'll literally die if you go off the road in certain spots. The descent once you get to echo lake would be awesome but that top half is rough, huge expansion cracks.

Good luck with your trip, makes me wanna go back just talking about it!
Quote Reply