Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled
Quote | Reply
Tour magazine of Germany tested the who is who of the tri bikes in their last issue. This magazine is considered to be the one which tests in the most professional manner of any bike magazine in Europe (maybe even the world?). So their plan was to end all the speculation about the most aerodynamic bike and just find it out by themselves. That would’ve been one of the first in depth tests of top end triathlon bikes by an independent source ever.

Surprisingly Cervélo and Specialized called back their bikes. That’s very sad and makes me – and many others, I’m sure - think that they are afraid of not being as good as they proclaim (especially Cervélo with their P4). Maybe Gerard could explain why they withdraw their bike? Hopefully there is a logical reason behind it. At least many triathlon enthusiasts in Germany/Austria/Switzerland would be relieved if he could give us a good reason for not participating.

Scott won the comparison with their Plasma 2 – so they try to advertise with it and show excerpts of the test on their website:

http://scott-sports.com/de_de/news/bike/1803

The top 3 in the overall ranking were:

Scott Plasma 2
Kuota Kueen-K
Cannondale Slice
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [WRE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh that sauce is weak!

interesting that both cervelo and specialized did it.

something about the protocol that wouldn't favor either of them?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [WRE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1st post, a plug for a magazine review.

question: do you work for scott, or tour magazine?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between wind speed and speed of bike/rider? What I mean is when they say they were tested with a wind speed of 45/h, does that mean that is like the bike going 45/h on the road? Or is this wind speed just used to test the drag of the frames. Do some frames do better when the wind speed is lower or higher?
M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Neither of both. Until now I just read the articles here. But after that test in the magazine I was just wondering why they withdrawed. Since this is the most famous forum and even some bosses of bike companies read here I signed up and hope to get some answers.

Let's see...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
since I can't read the original german, was the test down over various yaw angles? or only at yaw angle 0?
0 and 10 degrees. With and without rider. For the comparison they used the results without rider since the error was too imense with rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, if they were truly 'independent', they'd have procured the bikes on their own and tested them. I'm fully aware of the economic constraints faced by a magazine in the bike industry, but that's the reality. If they're accepting product from manufacturers to test, that calls into question their objectivity right there.

It shouldn't have been that hard to get these bikes from a shop, either on loan or purchased at a price that would have allowed them to test the bike and re-sell it at little/no cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then I think we can see why some bike makers would have pulled out. If one design has great 0 numbers but stalls at 11 degrees it will look really good in this test.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
since I can't read the original german, was the test down over various yaw angles? or only at yaw angle 0?
0 and 10 degrees. With and without rider. For the comparison they used the results without rider since the error was too imense with rider.

Sounds like they need to work on their test protocol ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sounds like they need to work on their test protocol ;-)
you took the words right out of my keyboard...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
well, if they were truly 'independent', they'd have procured the bikes on their own and tested them. I'm fully aware of the economic constraints faced by a magazine in the bike industry, but that's the reality. If they're accepting product from manufacturers to test, that calls into question their objectivity right there.

It shouldn't have been that hard to get these bikes from a shop, either on loan or purchased at a price that would have allowed them to test the bike and re-sell it at little/no cost.
Good post! Sounds logical. But as far as I know all those magazines get the bikes from the manufacturer itself, but you're right anyway!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe � Scott Plasma 2 won, Cerv�lo and Specialized canceled [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my research methods class (a requirement for my M.S. degree), we have learned a thing or 2 about bias. It seems as if that could be applicable in several situations in this "research". I'd rather have NO data rather than BAD data.

I'm not claiming to know a lot about fluid dynamics, other than what has been taught in the biomech and physics classes I've taken. Also, the last time I checked, the bike doesn't ride itself. What have 'we' deduced from the bike+rider interaction?...how does it affect the air+bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe � Scott Plasma 2 won, Cerv�lo and Specialized canceled [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What have 'we' deduced from the bike+rider interaction?...how does it affect the air+bike?

We have deduced there usually isn't much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tour may be "the best" of the "poor'.
Not meaning that they are good in what they do (mechanically), but who will be able to differentiate between bottom bracket stiffness measured in a few measly Newtons...I also only see one value for aerodynamics, that probably means 0 degrees of yaw.

Politically correct one could say that they probably not rip apart the bike from a manufacturer that has a whole page ad in the mag.
And as a normally pretty well informed "guesser" told me:

Neither Specialized nor Cervelo got a discount on advertisement space, so they withdrew.

Oh, B.T.W.:

To my knowledge the CANYON bike won.

Quote | Reply
I saw take this studies and try not to worry about them that much, find the bike that fits and fits what you want it to do and it will be just as fast/aero as the next! To many people have got caught up in this aero thing from all of these companies, let it go, all the bikes on the market are good bikes!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [tricrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goes back to this idea of a unified standard for aero testing:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000133.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, the magazine determined the most aerodynamic tri bike without testing, arguably, the most aerodynamic tri bikes...P2, P3, P4, Trek TTX, Felt, Ridley, and Specialized?

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [tricrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I saw take this studies and try not to worry about them that much, find the bike that fits and fits what you want it to do and it will be just as fast/aero as the next! To many people have got caught up in this aero thing from all of these companies, let it go, all the bikes on the market are good bikes!
Actually that's the conclusion of the tour test! They state that the differences between those aero frames are marginal whereas the gap between standard road frame and aero frame is recognizable! The outcome was: No need to spend thousands of dollars for a high end triathlon bike. Get a cheap tri bike and work on your position!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tour magazine of Germany tested the who is who of the tri bikes in their last issue. This magazine is considered to be the one which tests in the most professional manner of any bike magazine in Europe (maybe even the world?). So their plan was to end all the speculation about the most aerodynamic bike and just find it out by themselves. That would’ve been one of the first in depth tests of top end triathlon bikes by an independent source ever.

Surprisingly Cervélo and Specialized called back their bikes. That’s very sad and makes me – and many others, I’m sure - think that they are afraid of not being as good as they proclaim (especially Cervélo with their P4). Maybe Gerard could explain why they withdraw their bike? Hopefully there is a logical reason behind it. At least many triathlon enthusiasts in Germany/Austria/Switzerland would be relieved if he could give us a good reason for not participating.

Scott won the comparison with their Plasma 2 – so they try to advertise with it and show excerpts of the test on their website:

http://scott-sports.com/de_de/news/bike/1803

The top 3 in the overall ranking were:

Scott Plasma 2
Kuota Kueen-K
Cannondale Slice
Hoorah for Scott Plasma!
The value of my used bike just increased (if/when I prepare to sell).
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe � Scott Plasma 2 won, Cerv�lo and Specialized canceled [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... I'd rather have NO data rather than BAD data...

There's no such thing as bad data...it always tells you something ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Actually that's the conclusion of the tour test! They state that the differences between those aero frames are marginal whereas the gap between standard road frame and aero frame is recognizable! The outcome was: No need to spend thousands of dollars for a high end triathlon bike. Get a cheap tri bike and work on your position!

Well...DUH! But, what happens when you've got that position all "worked out"? Now what do you focus on (assuming triaining is maximized, of course)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll buy the Scott instead of the Cervelo this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bike test in Europe – Scott Plasma 2 won, Cervélo and Specialized canceled [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...And therein lies the pitfalls of incomplete, yet commonly regarded as "definitive", data. Some people actually do what you're suggesting jyeager....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next