Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon and martial arts
Quote | Reply
MOP AG'er planning on racing several HIM's this season. Son is doing jiu jitsu, and I'm thinking of joining him. Obviously there are risks. Any other triathletes doing martial arts? Specifically worried about neck and back disk herniations.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and martial arts [vomer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anything it'll probably make you better. You'll increase your flexibility and a lot of core strength. Like everything else, just don't go too hard too fast and you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:
MOP AG'er planning on racing several HIM's this season. Son is doing jiu jitsu, and I'm thinking of joining him. Obviously there are risks. Any other triathletes doing martial arts? Specifically worried about neck and back disk herniations.

I've been doing martial arts for close to 30 years now, and triathlons off and on for about the same time, and I know more triathletes with back problems than I do martial artists.

You are much more likely to have other injuries than herniations, especially at the level that you will likely be starting at. As long as your training partners aren't gung ho idiots out to prove themselves, the training should be paced for your ability.

Enjoy it, and have fun training with your son!

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but make sure you take it at a safe pace. Triathlon is great for keeping us fit and healthy, but there are a lot of muscles that it doesn't exercise that you will be utilizing. I have done (and am conditioned for) 70.3 races... and I (and my equally fit wife) have ended up with stupid injuries for not taking things seriously that we aren't conditioned for. All of your training has been linear. Martial arts utilizes a tremendous amount of lateral motions that you have not been training and triathlon does not facilitate.

Just be aware that you will be using a lot of joint motion and muscle utilization that you haven't used regardless of your race training. Damaging these said muscles and joints can end your racing. Good luck, have fun, stretch and don't overdo it!
Last edited by: lifejustice: Feb 28, 16 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:

my first thought was, geez, that's a lot of time to spend on physical activities - training 3 sports is hard enough, adding a fourth is rough.

but if this is the quality time you want to spend with your son, that makes some sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and martial arts [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:
vomer wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but make sure you take it at a safe pace. Triathlon is great for keeping us fit and healthy, but there are a lot of muscles that it doesn't exercise that you will be utilizing. I have done (and am conditioned for) 70.3 races... and I (and my equally fit wife) have ended up with stupid injuries for not taking things seriously that we aren't conditioned for. All of your training has been linear. Martial arts utilizes a tremendous amount of lateral motions that you have not been training and triathlon does not facilitate.

Just be aware that you will be using a lot of joint motion and muscle utilization that you haven't used regardless of your race training. Damaging these said muscles and joints can end your racing. Good luck, have fun, stretch and don't overdo it!

I took jiu-jitsu for about two years. The use of different muscles and core is something he will get used to. Like you said, just take it easy as a beginner. The constant joint locks were another story. You will inevitably run into over zealous training partners who armbar you too hard, hold the lock too long, etc. One of my elbows was seemingly in a constant state of some kind of hyperextension soreness. That made biking and swimming almost impossible. Then there was the broken teeth (despite wearing a mouthguard), torn meniscus, broken fingers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 29, 16 4:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:

good for you. I've been doing tris on and off for 10-12 years…a couple years ago I took a break from tris and trained soley in martial arts (mainly Muay Thai). I really enjoyed it - the training was a great workout and for me, it was kind of addictive (like tris), where as you see progress, you get more addicted to it. I was thinking of taking an amateur bout at one point (but ended up needing surgery for a deviated septum [probably from sparring]), so cooled off it, and got back into tri training. as for jib jitsu, I haven't done it - but the gym i trained at was heavy in it. I've hear great things about it, and i think its pretty safe…from what i've heard, the thing you need to look out for is the others that you're rolling with - you can often get douches that go too hard and i've heard of people getting broken noses etc as a result.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and martial arts [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often say I am not sure if I am a martial artist that does TRIs or a Triathlete that does Martial Arts. I find it incredibly helpful to stay focused and it is a ton of fun. I will also +1 on watching for folks who are overzealous. Keep in mind these are usually lower belt folks under 35. The best person to roll or spar with is a high belt. I compete in TaeKwonDo (TKD) and do Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) for fun. My son does TKD so I don't have much time for BJJ. In general I also found BJJ safer, I rarely ever got hurt. Whereas in TKD I often find I have minor impact injuries especially on my feet which can make running difficult. Kicking an elbow is unbelievably painful.

Good luck!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a BJJ player. In fact, before tri, I was mainly a Judo, and brazilian Jiu Jitsu player. Look, you can get hurt in any sport, but provided you dont go into practice thinking its the world championship you will be fine! I think it is a great additive to Tri, I am strong because of it (i do no weights) and it increases flexibility you didnt even know about, beyond that its going to use all those little muscles that you also didnt know about. I have been racing tri for 5 years now, sprint to Ironman, and i say go for it on the Jiu Jitsu!

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:

I have trained in Tae Kwon do, Judo, BJJ, and an Israeli based combative training. There is quite a bit of injury potential in BJJ, MMA and anything "reality based'. It is all a question of risk vs. benefit. You can also tear an ACL skiing, so you have to keep it in perspective. In BJJ my biggest concern would be toe injuries that could keep you from running, or shoulder injuries. I had shoulder surgery as a result and it was over a year before I was back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and martial arts [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Gonna give it a go. I'll post pics from my MRI's after I tear my labrum. :)
Quote Reply