Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process
Quote | Reply
So, I’m closing in on 62. Still fairly active triathlon wise (IM Barca this fall).

Over the last 5-10 years, triathlon’s role in my life has evolved. At first, on its own, but over the last couple of years with increasing intent.

In my younger days, it was all about finishing an IM, getting to Kona, winning my Age Group in the local sprint, beating my cross town rival, getting to the welcome sign first in my group ride, etc. And doing so as many times as possible (“this year, I want to win my Age Group X times, do back to back IMs,” etc.)

All about the goals. Training was the vehicle to get there.

Today, not so much. I still have goals but more of them are oriented around being able to do things with style, strength, grace and competence. Going on a week long hiking trip with friends. Climbing mountains with my son, doing an occasional triathlon, leading a healthy life style that motivates people around me to do the same, having my wife still like how I look in a bathing suit...living a long and engaged life...

Triathlon, and more specifically, the training associated with it are now much more the way or the process by which I try to achieve this.

And I like it way better.

At the end of the day, triathlon goals are smaller and less important than these broader life goals....I wish I had seen this earlier but feel blessed to see this now!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Randy,

Right behind you (59) and agree wholeheartedly . . . keep blazing a trail for me!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on! You have a healthy perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David: you’ve been a leader here for many, many years!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post! I will also be 62 this year, but for me it's been about the travel experience for a long time. This year is IM Ireland, IM Hawaii (legacy) and climbing Mt Kilimanjaro. I'm far from hanging it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome--it doesn't get much better than Kili and Kona in the same year! which route on Kili (Machame?)?

rc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemosho with a scheduled summit day of 1 Jan 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds fantastic--great way to start the year! Going on a safari as well?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, did Addo Elephant Park twice in South Africa and won't have the time. But when I retire, I'll go to Kenya with my middle son, aka "Mr Kenya". No shit, I think he knows half the people in the country, and just about every pro runner. I'll have my own personal guide. He went on safari last month while there on another business trip. Check his vlog out. https://www.youtube.com/...gMGABbSOug&t=45s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perfect!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about this a lot as I hit 60 on Saturday. I'm training for my first 50 mile run and I didn't pick an easy one, the France MaxiRace in May which includes 17K of elevation ascent and descent. I'm in deep at this point, but at the same time I can't wait until I can return to less structured, more balanced training.

I was thinking this morning, why do you need to keep pushing yourself? You did that when you were in your 20s and 30s. Your PR years are long gone, so why not just stay healthy and happy? I expect it will be a long time until I attempt another goal as ambitious as the alpine 50, which is my first truly "just finish" goal since my first marathon at age 19, but I will probably get the itch at some point down the road to really test my limits again.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 25, 19 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same boat here. 60 yrs old this year. The thing I'm struggling with is letting go of the stopwatch. I still look at intervals/power/pace and fret a bit. I kind of wound down from training because of this. It got to be too much like work. Now, I'm just having fun and staying active. The clock still calls to me from time to time though. How have the other oldsters dealt with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read my sig line and be thankful that you’re able to move as well as you do. At our age, it’s a blessing and not an entitlement that you can participate at all (WAG 60-64) 😉

I worry daily that my broken collarbone will heal and I stop swimming like a crooked tadpole, but it is what it is...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I beat all you guys, made that transition (T3 ?) back in my late 40s..
ha. Wouldn't have beaten anyone posting here, in a race..

had plans to do some ultra trail runs the last few years, took me a while to remember why I quit running, can't put together consistent run training anymore.. so think I just have to start doing the races without training, walk it in..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plant ( & Randy):

Frank Shorter stated after his elite racing days that he continued to race to justify all of training time that he enjoyed. He provided motivation and guidance in how I approached workouts and racing after switching to tris from track.

Gave up the clock in training once I developed an internal since of pacing. Saw too many long distance runner college teammates get hooked on early training mileage targets and didn't reduce those when the speed intervals increased during peak race season. And continue to still witness this in triathloning training now. Too many people do not embrace: workout cycles, race tapers, and off-season recovery.

Things to consider to deal with these:
  • Decouple the combination of clock & distance.
  • Choose a workout of a time OR distance to control the objective.
  • Embrace the race competition based on placing instead of times. As Mark mentioned, our PR's are memories, not new targets.
  • Go to races and do the workouts with others for camaraderie.
  • Select destination races for external activities to combine with the competition. IM Barcelona (which is in Calella about 30 minutes away) provides an opportunity to visit the actual named city afterwards for food, the architecture, history, culture, and more. There's also a great walled fort/city about 30 north of Calella that is worth a visit.
  • Honor your body but excel in enjoying life.

Hopefully something will click to influence a change.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same could be said for any age!

If you don't enjoy the process (training for your first sprint, first full IM, going for an AG win, Kona, BQ, etc) then it's not going to be as rewarding and fulfilling of a life.

The reason may change, but I stress this so much with anyone that will listen, if you don't enjoy doing it and making your lifestyle work, then it's time to reassess.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I've been thinking about this a lot as I hit 60 on Saturday. I'm training for my first 50 mile run and I didn't pick an easy one, the France MaxiRace in May which includes 17K of elevation ascent and descent. I'm in deep at this point, but at the same time I can't wait until I can return to less structured, more balanced training.

I was thinking this morning, why do you need to keep pushing yourself? You did that when you were in your 20s and 30s. Your PR years are long gone, so why not just stay healthy and happy? I expect it will be a long time until I attempt another goal as ambitious as the alpine 50, which is my first truly "just finish" goal since my first marathon at age 19, but I will probably get the itch at some point down the road to really test my limits again.

As mentioned in another post, congrats on taking on the challenge, especially at 60yo. In my mind, THIS, is a good reason why we should to continue to train and stay engaged as experienced endurance athletes. By searching new frontiers and variations utilizing our lifetime of experience, we stay mentally and physically vibrant and motivated which ultimately leads to happier lives....for us, and those around us. No matter the outcome, we grow and become better more interesting people for taking risks and expanding beyond our comfort zones.

Kudos to those who continue to take the sharp end.
Last edited by: Brushman: Mar 25, 19 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and Aging: making the transition from goal to process [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryan: I love the process, always have. just have tuned (and diminished the importance of) the end goals. Racing seems more fun as I stress less about my Age Group place or my average mph and focus more on the process to get there and the actual experience itself, in and of itself!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 58 and your post made me think b/c last weekend I did nothing. I have a head cold and I'd usually do *something* even when under the weather. But I'm backlogged at work, so I mostly drank tea and wrote. Less stressful than squeezing in the workout among other objectives (which is the usual). Seems as if I had a lot more time for other things, even if training is only a couple of hours per day. I still like the training and the competition. But maybe it's time to blend in some other things...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having one great race and then being mentally burned out or physically injured for the next few just wasn't something I wanted to keep doing. I could certainly put in more hours training and work harder. But I've been consistent over the years and I've done some races in parts of the world I might never have visited otherwise. I used to take my health for granted but I'm not that way so much anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inspiring post, thanks.

Question - do you think that you can enjoy the process more (than the goal) because you have achieved success in your goals earlier? Or it is uncorrelated?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post....I'm a few years behind, turning 48 this summer, but in the same boat. I'm back at it this year....racing LP, but with work and family (kids 6 and 4.5), it's very hard. This is likely it for me for the foreseeable future...at least for the long course stuff. It's been 6 years since I raced an IM. I'm really only coming back because I had a serious knee surgery a couple years ago...and I want to prove that you can come back from it. Also, and more importantly, I want my kids to remember seeing me finish one! But, back to your point, after this I'm sure I'll stay active and will likely still compete in triathlon (mainly because I'm uber competitive). But, I'm more interested in trying my hand at gravel biking, hiking, alpine touring skiing, and things like that....things that keep me healthy, but I can enjoy. Not to mention, I plan to spend more time doing things with my family. I spend hours on the trainer not because I enjoy the trainer, but more because I am trying to stay in shape and want to win. Good luck in Barcelona!

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.trihistory.com/...e-race#disqus_thread

This article by Scott Molina sums it up for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great thread. I'm 55 and relatively new to Tri's. I've been a runner since 23, growing up an athlete (primarily a basketball player). My primary goal in being active has always been health driven. My dad had major heart issues at a young age and died at 51.

I started racing (running events) again at 48 after a number of years of running just for the exercise. I have been able to get faster through better training and nutrition.

Tri's are an entirely new challenge as I could barely swim when I started (first sprint was about 6 years ago) and short of riding a beach crusier, had never been on a bike as an adult.

I feel like I have a good window to improve and acheive goals that I have on my runner side (1st Boston next month) and on the Tri side as well. I am more appreciative every day of being healthy enough to participate in both sports and plan on competing for at least 20-25 years. Goals will change but the rewards for the effort and hard work will always be there for me in addition to meeting many great athletes along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing on the same Cervelo Eyre aluminum tri bike for the past 20 years. One of these days the frame is going to crack. I've thought about what I'm going to do when that happens. I've seriously considered not buying another tri bike, but instead racing all tris on my <$1K road bike, maybe even without clip-on aero bars. If I ever do that, I know I will have made the transition from goal to process.

casual, thanks for the link to the Molina column!
Quote Reply

Prev Next