Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon #1 Work #2
Quote | Reply
I just got told at work that there is a "perception" among others in the company that triathlon is priority #1 for me and work is priority #2. Honestly, not sure where this is coming from. I bike to work a lot in the spring/summer/fall (to the point that I bike way more than I drive my car) and very often, I will go out for a run at lunch. I'm usually at my desk working at 9am and at work till at least 5pm everyday. Sure people talk to me about my races and stuff, and I'm always more than happy to help out and provide advice for new runners who come to me with questions on training, etc.

Just wondering how many others out there have been told something like that outright, or feel that others at your work feel that way about you (but just might not have told you).

I can say that I'm not busting my ass looking for the next promotion or anything at work, which might be part of the problem.

I really feel like I'm getting this label because people see me being very active (biking to work and running while at work, etc.) and nobody else does anything remotely close to that here.

So who else feels triathlon is hurting your real career? What are you doing about it?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop talking about it at work. Stop thinking about it at work. Don't answer questions about it at work. Don't display anything related to it at work.
Work hard and turn out a quality product. Be a team player both with the work you do and in setting the atmosphere around work.
That should do it.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are working 9-5 AND running at lunch that really isn't a full day.

First, never ever talk about triathlon or training at work. Second, don't let others know you are running at lunch.

If you know you are not busting your butt, you likely are BOP at the office game. Surprise, people notice that sort of thing.

drluke12 wrote:
I just got told at work that there is a "perception" among others in the company that triathlon is priority #1 for me and work is priority #2. Honestly, not sure where this is coming from. I bike to work a lot in the spring/summer/fall (to the point that I bike way more than I drive my car) and very often, I will go out for a run at lunch. I'm usually at my desk working at 9am and at work till at least 5pm everyday. Sure people talk to me about my races and stuff, and I'm always more than happy to help out and provide advice for new runners who come to me with questions on training, etc.

Just wondering how many others out there have been told something like that outright, or feel that others at your work feel that way about you (but just might not have told you).

I can say that I'm not busting my ass looking for the next promotion or anything at work, which might be part of the problem.

I really feel like I'm getting this label because people see me being very active (biking to work and running while at work, etc.) and nobody else does anything remotely close to that here.

So who else feels triathlon is hurting your real career? What are you doing about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not uncommon. Separate work and triathlon. Limit dicussing during work and do not tell co-workers how many hours a week you train, because some of them will per se think work is #2.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, I never initiate a conversation at work with anyone about triathlon or training. Everyone knows I race after so long being here, that people always ask me if I have a race coming up or if I did a race this past weekend, etc. I used the 9-5 thing as an average. If I'm running at lunch I'm either starting early or working later. They key thing is getting in an honest days work. Not saying I don't work hard, I just no longer kiss ass in hopes of getting me further along in the company. I'm happy with where I'm at now. However, given what I was told today, I think things need to change. I guess the AG award plaques should no longer be on display either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just dont talk about it. We think were helping, they think were being elitist.

"A wise man once told me......God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You say you aren't busting your ass looking for the next promotion. Does that mean you are happy with where you are in your career with no interest in advancing (ever)? If so, who cares? That's where I am, I like the job I am doing and any sort of promotion would mean going to a supervisor/management type of position and I have zero interest in doing so - I tried it for 6 months and hated every second of it and asked to go back to my previous position. I do my job and make it priority #1 while I'm *at work* but outside of that, it's low on the priority list.

To the comment that 9-5 with a run at lunch isn't a full work day, I work 8-4, get a 30 min lunch break and two 15 min breaks during the day. I take that all at once from 12-1 and get a run in. Not sure why that isn't a full work day.

ETA: yeah, ditch the AG awards at the desk if you were serious......
Last edited by: Zenmaster28: Nov 11, 11 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
You say you aren't busting your ass looking for the next promotion. Does that mean you are happy with where you are in your career with no interest in advancing (ever)? If so, who cares? That's where I am, I like the job I am doing and any sort of promotion would mean going to a supervisor/management type of position and I have zero interest in doing so - I tried it for 6 months and hated every second of it and asked to go back to my previous position. I do my job and make it priority #1 while I'm *at work* but outside of that, it's low on the priority list.

To the comment that 9-5 with a run at lunch isn't a full work day, I work 8-4, get a 30 min lunch break and two 15 min breaks during the day. I take that all at once from 12-1 and get a run in. Not sure why that isn't a full work day.

Yah, I'm pretty much where you are at. A promotion or advancement at work would likely mean more supervisory roles and more travel, both of which I am not interested in right now. Agree on the 9-5 thing. We have to have 7.5 in per day, and if I run at lunch, that's my lunch. I'll be eating my lunch in front of my computer when I get back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing to consider is the work habits of your peers. Even though you are only required to work 7.5 hours If they come in earlier than you and leave later than you this may also reflect on what people think about your effort.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:

Seriously, you don't know why that perception is there?? You work the bare minimum. I'm guessing your peers have that perception b/c they are probably picking up the workload you are leaving at 5pm. I bet you also use the excuse that you have to leave early b/c you are on your bike and you have to leave before it gets dark.

Sack up, put in a real workday, get a trainer, stop whining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The system is fucked. But you can either get off the bus or stay on and follow the above (good) advice. Obsession isn't pretty.

I am about 1000 notches below you on the totem pole, I chose to get off for a while. I am a stay at home dad starting to put out feelers for reentering the working world after four years "off" with my two kids. People can't even wrap their brain around why I'd want to commit career suicide or what must be wrong with me to be so screwed up in my priorities lol. Despite that have had a few interviews where they seem to get it...very promising for the kind of work environment that recognizes that effective people can prioritize more than one thing.

Basically we are almost as bad as one of the Asian countries for how intense we expect our work relationship to be. Aside from a slightly anemic 401k I don't think I'll be regretting it when I am 70.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 our system is messed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who told you this? Peer? Supervisor? Many years ago I had a supervisor who said I lacked passion for my job because I exhibited control over my emotions at work and wasn't more demonstrative. She was very histrionic,a control freak and shit-stirrer at work. I think she didn't like it because I was hard for her to read. My guess is your level of exercise and discipline makes some feel inferior
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks dude. I already have a trainer, and I'll be using it a lot soon. Plenty of people in my office leave well before me, and they're not going home to train. So what you are saying is that unless you are working around 10 hrs per day, you're not working hard at work? Sucks to be you. I'm very late 30's and I've already done plenty of "over-time" in my career and job to get me where I'm at now. I'll admit, career advancement is not my priorty, but keeping my job is, so I'll have to figure some shit out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your culture and the culture of your company dont coincide. At my firm, many of us SBR at lunch. We talk around the water cooler about recent races and training. I am more likely to hire a triathlete/runner/cyclist becuase i understand the amount of self discipline needed. That independence carries forward in your daily job. I understand that people may take an extra 15 minutes at lunch to complete a workout, but i get so much more out of them in terms of productivity. BTW im in the investment business.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insidious wrote:
The system is fucked. But you can either get off the bus or stay on and follow the above (good) advice. Obsession isn't pretty.

I am about 1000 notches below you on the totem pole, I chose to get off for a while. I am a stay at home dad starting to put out feelers for reentering the working world after four years "off" with my two kids. People can't even wrap their brain around why I'd want to commit career suicide or what must be wrong with me to be so screwed up in my priorities lol. Despite that have had a few interviews where they seem to get it...very promising for the kind of work environment that recognizes that effective people can prioritize more than one thing.

Basically we are almost as bad as one of the Asian countries for how intense we expect our work relationship to be. Aside from a slightly anemic 401k I don't think I'll be regretting it when I am 70.

Glad to see someone who understands what is important.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you work over 8 hours a day routinely? If so, I hope you own the business. If not you're being used
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you got some good advice here. I agree with what's already been posted. Just want to say that ....

Even tho they're asking about your races/training, 99.9% of them could care less. Slowly start chillin' on the outward display. Still do it your way, but in a ninja kind of way. Keep it as your thing, be a quiet bad ass.

I have seen many triathletes who are very vocal and alpha about how they need to / have to / just did a race or a run or a bike or a swim. My experience is that they either learn to chill or they peter out and stop tri's after people stop caring, whether it be 2 seasons or 5 or whatever.

And, you'll also see that it will help clear your mind of 24/7 triathlon. This is healthy. There are other aspects of our lives the do deserve our undivided attention.

So, though you may not like how they're saying it, hear what they are saying.

Good Luck

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: Nov 11, 11 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [golfgok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your age? There could be a generation gap. I'm Gen X and we do not get along with the generation before us (or the whiny brats after). They define themselves based on their career, we define ourselves based on everything but our career. The company at the time actually sent us to seminars on how to get along (this was in the banking industry). If somebody asks you about triathlon, I'd just say I'd love to talk about it but when I do somebody complains about it.

If somebody talks about their kid too much its okay. Talk about your hobby too much and they think it takes away from your job. Ridiculous.

Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
Do you work over 8 hours a day routinely? If so, I hope you own the business. If not you're being used

+1

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [golfgok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
golfgok wrote:
I think your culture and the culture of your company dont coincide. At my firm, many of us SBR at lunch. We talk around the water cooler about recent races and training. I am more likely to hire a triathlete/runner/cyclist becuase i understand the amount of self discipline needed. That independence carries forward in your daily job. I understand that people may take an extra 15 minutes at lunch to complete a workout, but i get so much more out of them in terms of productivity. BTW im in the investment business.

I will agree with you here. My culture and the culture of the company don't gel well. There are a few people that picked up running, and honestly, it's cause they see me do it (I think). BTW, I'm in the investmest business as well....sort of. Hedge fund administration.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
put in a real workday
dogmile wrote:
If you are working 9-5 AND running at lunch that really isn't a full day.

Says who? Our system is so fucked.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should probably stop wearing your tri-shorts around the office.
And the compression stuff. Don't ever let them see the compression.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon #1 Work #2 [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And quit sucking on the water bottle all the damn time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Thanks dude. I already have a trainer, and I'll be using it a lot soon. Plenty of people in my office leave well before me, and they're not going home to train. So what you are saying is that unless you are working around 10 hrs per day, you're not working hard at work? Sucks to be you. I'm very late 30's and I've already done plenty of "over-time" in my career and job to get me where I'm at now. I'll admit, career advancement is not my priorty, but keeping my job is, so I'll have to figure some shit out.

Ok, and that is your choice. But you asked about why there is a perception about you...I gave you a reason. I get your argument about how many hours one has to work. But that is reality in most industries. Additionally, by saying you don't want to move up into a management role, what you doing is keeping yourself in a role that is traditionally held by people that are expected to put in the extra time in order to gain experience and move up. Just b/c you are older doesn't mean that what is expected of your position changes.

Think about it this way...if you were training to do an IM and were only putting in the minimum amount of training to get in at 16:59, would you really be surprised when other's had the perception that you really aren't prioritizing doing anything but the bare minimum?
Quote Reply

Prev Next