Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri suit at a half marathon?
Quote | Reply
I have a half-marathon race coming up soon. What is everyone's thought on wearing a tri-suit at running-only events?

I want to wear a DeSoto tri top and bottom, but don't want others to think I'm some professional elite runner superhero poser. But at the same time I find my tri stuff pretty comfortable for that half marathon distance.

Do any of you wear tri stuff at running-only events? If not, why? And what do you think of others who do when you see them?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't wear it - but then again I'm dog-ass slow, too.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way. That would be like wearing jammers to a swim meet.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wear what ever you want to wear. when I see people at running events wearing tri stuff, I strike up a conversation.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I wouldn't wear it - but then again I'm dog-ass slow, too.[/reply]

You're slow? With all due respect, my nickname is Turtle. =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not allowed.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most tri suits that I have noticed don't have enough supports for a man's needs. That doesn't mean they don't wear them anyway, but heaven help the poor spectators.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to satisfy the needs of the spectators too? Decisions decisions. I give up. I'm wearing nothing but a smile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say whatever you feel comfortable and fast in. I watched the Frankfurt marathon last Sunday and saw everything, from speedos to tri-suits to furry reindeer costumes.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I say whatever you feel comfortable and fast in. I watched the Frankfurt marathon last Sunday and saw everything, from speedos to tri-suits to furry reindeer costumes.[/reply]

yeah, I agree. I've worn my DeSoto trisuit in several half and full marathons...works well for me. After doing London this year I have no idea whats right or wrong running gear anymore :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I say whatever you feel comfortable and fast in. I watched the Frankfurt marathon last Sunday and saw everything, from speedos to tri-suits to furry reindeer costumes.[/reply]

and we think this country is great. i'mm sorry but I had to say that.

we're so uptight in this country it's amazing.

what difference does it make what one wears running a marathon.

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [zoomzoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]what difference does it make what one wears running a marathon.[/reply]

it matters to me.. I am fed up losing races to 6ft Carrot/Dog/Pink Fairy.. and one unforgetable half marathon I lost by a few seconds to a giant Cigarette.. !!

aaargh
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][.reply]what difference does it make what one wears running a marathon.[./reply]

it matters to me.. I am fed up losing races to 6ft Carrot/Dog/Pink Fairy.. and one unforgetable half marathon I lost by a few seconds to a giant Cigarette.. !!

aaargh[/reply]

LOL

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll probably be wearing desoto tri-shorts in any distances longer than 10k along with a fairly form fitting running jersey... it's the top with the stomach exposure that is the faux-pas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't wear a tri suit but I always wear tri shorts (Desoto or RnH) for running, whether it's training or racing (5k, 10k, 1/2 mar, mar). I just prefer the feel of the tri shorts and I don't get any inner quad chafing. I usually just wear a Dri-Fit t-shirt or tank with them though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear it if you are comfortable but just dont wear large baggy shorts. That looks so un-runner. Baggy shorts are for basketball players.

Quote | Reply
I saw a couple folks at local marathons this year wearing tri suits...it just looks stupid. Plain and simple. That being said, go ahead and wear it if it works for you. You will, though, stand out big time and get many, many weird looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worn desoto sleeveless suit as well as their trishorts at marathon distances. But PLEASE man bras are just wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I do most of my long runs/races in the longer desoto tri-shorts with 'power' fabric, they have become my first pick from the shorts drawer.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoop Whoop! Call the fashion police!

You CAN wear the shorts but you CANNOT wear the shorts and the top, and NEVER a 1 pce trisuit. Wear a drifit shirt or tank with the shorts.

Don't make me hunt you down and beat you senseless.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, perhaps it will have more meaning coming from a woman.

Chad

Oh, and please wear black shorts. There is a very good reason why cyclists always wore black shorts and it wasn't just because black shorts didn't show grease stains when you had mechanical issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are on a triathlon forum and you are asking the wrong people for opinions if you think we can speak like pure-runners. I am sure if you went to letsrun.com 90% of the posters would laugh and call you names but alas, most every runner I have ever known and most every runner I have ever coached thinks triathletes are hard-working and cool BUT they also think that any triathlete who uses a tri-suit at any running race is poser, no matter how fast or cool they are. I pulled a 1:15 at a hot/hilly half marathon last June and they laughed at me when I finished and mentioned how nice my costume was.

It's a no-win situation when you try to impress others with how you look. Running shorts are used by runners for a reason and that is that they produce comfort and fast times. What would you think of a runner who showed up to a bike race and used split-running shorts? No matter how well they did, people would be talk. If you are concerned enough to post then you should consider that when in Rome you should do as the Romans. - I don't even know what that means. LOL. Let your legs do the talking and wear whatever you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol! you guys are funny, but a little too anal with the inter-special-running-attire-code!!

just wear a freakin man-bra with pink crocs for chrissakes....
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit at a half marathon? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. I would actually hope he wouldn't wear the shorts, wear running shorts instead. But I have to be realistic...

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next