Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tri bike for sprint distance? [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cujo wrote:
I'm someone who rides into the wind everytime I do an outdoor ride it seems. But I also seem to only race tris that are so hidden in the woods most of the time that wind is less an issue and dealing with punchy hills and potholes are more of a concern.

I meant that if you were someone who never rides in the wind you would not realize the benefit of being out of it. If you are someone that does, then you should appreciate the difference of being tucked as opposed to exposed.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike for sprint distance? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Are you racing in a triathlon? Then use Tri Bike!!

Umm, unless it's draft legal. Which all our sprints are now. Technically tri-bars are banned, although often the race director over-rides the national body rules to permit people to use tri-bikes, albeit with the instruction to not be down on the bars when in a bunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back and forth on which bike to ride for this upcoming sprint. The 11 mile course, while not hilly, doesn't have more than 1 or 2 miles of straights before it takes a sharp turn. Would you guys still go with a tri bike? I feel like I can corner much better on the roadie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get more ladies with a tricked out deep wheelsetted aero space ship time machine looking bike with wild colors usually neons.

Now this is completely unproven but I like to think this way as it makes me feel better about the fact that as a skinny triathlete - you will get no ladies anyway because they will either say, 'Oh you race ironmans!" in which you have to reply with "no" and tell them it is like the warmup for an Ironman distance OR they will simply say, "what is triathlon" and in both cases you now lose said woman. BUT at least you can look at that sexy space ship time machine before you fall asleep at night.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike for sprint distance? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you must absolutely rock the circa 2005 pointy tailed-aero helmet with plastic chin strap. Outrageously sized full lens Oakleys optional. The chicks dig it. And the near see-through singlet? Oh. Hearts fluttering everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike for sprint distance? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Here's a weird thought...dunno if it would work or not. If you really think your slice is too small, convert it to a road bike, and get a properly fitting TT frame. The Slice is pretty short/tall as a TT bike, which makes it more road-like to begin with, except the steering geometry. But, unless you are racing crits the slightly slower steering probably doesn't matter.

My first thought was that a simple stem swap changes the fit of a bike a ton. I actually wonder how many people actually buy new bikes when all they need is a different $40 stem (or saddle for different reasons).

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike for sprint distance? [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless it’s up a mountain, then we can have a debate, ride the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike for sprint distance? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cujo wrote:
When you guys and gals do these sprints, how much of your courses would you say are flat and exposed? I only ask because that is NOT the norm for my races it seems.

I live in Texas. Course is wide often and flat. Most of the time, bike is two laps around the block.
Quote Reply

Prev Next