Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Position on Tarmac -- Similar Alternatives to "Fast Forward" Seatpost
Quote | Reply
Hey all -

In prior ironman events I have used a road bike with clip-on aerobars (i.e., Cervelo RS with fast forward seatpost, another on a Cervelo s2 with reversible seatpost) and am thinking of going with a road bike for this season as well. Ultimately, this thought is due to: (i) lower back issues and being more comfortable on a road bike, and (ii) cost (as I am aware that a proper fitting tri bike can be just as comfortable......).

My current bike is a 2020 tarmac disc -- what options may exist to get into a more forward position (albeit not too overly aggressive)?

- Aftermarket seat post?
- Zero offset seatpost + saddle combo (e.g., adamo saddle that lets you get a bit further forward)?
- Other options for the tarmac?
- Alternative road frame (Felt AR, Cervelo) to be able to use such a forward seatpost?

Appreciate any thoughts - thanks!

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Position on Tarmac -- Similar Alternatives to "Fast Forward" Seatpost [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a tarmac sl6 with draft legal clip ons until I recently got a tt bike, using a 0 offset seatpost and a fabric tri saddle. got into an ok position, passable. I'd be more worried about getting stack height right at the front etc. it worked well for the olympic I used it for! This was essentially my road position with the TT bars added, so if you are aiming for a properly dialled in position it could work quite well. The tarmac sl6 is an awesome bike!
Last edited by: TommyBTri: Jan 14, 21 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Position on Tarmac -- Similar Alternatives to "Fast Forward" Seatpost [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say 2020 Tarmac. I assume that is an SL6 ? (not the just-out new SL7 which I think is deemed 2021 ???).
Is it an S-works with the aero post ? Or a plebs one with a round post. (I have the plebs one 😉)

If the round post... then here's what I used to do before I got a TT bike (not on a Tarmac, but the same principle)...
I got a Thompson layback seat post (the post with a kink part way up the post to get the layback). Then rotated it 180 degrees to give a forward position. Then used which ever saddle I liked (a Cobb Flow Max as it happens).
I simply swapped both post and saddle as a combo when I put the clip-on aero bars on and put a band of black tape to mark the insertion depth.
I always felt safer using a well made Alu post for that given I was using it the wrong way, than trying it with a carbon post. At least if it was to fail it would be a ductile bending of the post, not a catastrophic sudden carbon fibre enema and crash. Never a problem for me though- and I'm a big enough guy (6ft, 190-200lbs at the time)

I did my couple of years of tri like that inc. My first IM, before getting the TT bike. I may do that again this year for a particularly hilly race I have.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Position on Tarmac -- Similar Alternatives to "Fast Forward" Seatpost [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct - 2020 model; but it’s the Disc Pro that has the aero (or at least not perfectly circular) seat post.

I’m thinking a zero offset may get me pretty close to where I would like to be, but wasn’t sure what other options exist.

@CycleHeavy
Last edited by: TriMeSBR: Jan 14, 21 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A noseless saddle (Adamo, etc.) will typically get you a more forward position (~5cm) than a traditional road saddle (when both are pushed all the way forward on the rails). Depending on how much you need to move forward this could help bridge the gap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you asked this question. I had thought about it myself. However, I complicated things more since I bought a comp version and then added the aerofly II bar. I love it and am glad I did. However, that complicates my situation as I don't think I can add any aero bars to them.

I could get the venge stem and then the venge clip ons, but don't really want to.

I bought a tri bike but haven't given up the idea of using my tarmac to race and just deal with being that guy on a roadie (that is hopefully passing guys on "fast" tri bikes!). I would like to get the SL7 and thought of the venge ,but don't feel the venge is worth the money it's going for.

Keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized made a clip-on for late model Venge. Don’t know how good it was or how low it got but it integrated with the Venge bars.

Are you planning to re-cable and have shifters on the extensions or just extensions? You could also look at low-stack shorty extensions, mainly for Olympic tris. Controltech makes one for example.

I had planned to use my Venge, size 51, for Olympic events and the only way to get low enough on it was a -25 stem and Zipp Vuka under-mount clips, at 37mm they were about the lowest stack out there. I never set it up because 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Position on Tarmac -- Similar Alternatives to "Fast Forward" Seatpost [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Set up your road bike as a good road bike and your tt bike as a good tt bike. All you get with a road bike set up as a tt bike is something that kinda sucks at both. You'll have way more fun riding them both that way.
Quote Reply