Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bikes or Frame for the less limber> back issues
Quote | Reply
What bikes would the experts recomend for someone with back issues, specifically chronic SI joint pain. From what I hear from the experts(Dr and fitter) I need to keep my hip angle open so I need a bike with a taller head tube. Some have suggested a Plasma or a P2C. Any other frames that I should consider?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes or Frame for the less limber> back issues [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuota K-Factor

Cannondale Slice

Both ride pretty slack, but the head tubes are taller.

OR you can go custom with a Serotta or Guru.
Last edited by: Tri Slow Poke: Sep 6, 07 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes or Frame for the less limber> back issues [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer slack.

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes or Frame for the less limber> back issues [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a K-Factor frameset for next to nothing (as far as fremesets go) because of my lower back issues. I'm looking forward to the ride.

I got fitted at GAG and they recommended the C'Dale. Unfortunately, I moved before I pulled the trigger on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Blue T12. The bike is amazingly adjustable for multiple angles so you can ride it very steep and low if you want or you can move the seat way back and have an almost road-like angle. I have ridden it in the middle and most forward seatpost position and it handles very well in either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have pretty tight IT bands, so I needed a taller headtube also. The Litespeed Blade frameset seemed made to order and is very comfortable, after an expert fit by Colorado Multisport. I don't think any Cervelo, including the P2c will work for you. I recently rode a P2Sl with a fair amount of spacers and it seemd fine, but I would not want to own a bike set up like that, personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I hear from the experts(Dr and fitter) I need to keep my hip angle open so I need a bike with a taller head tube.

This statement is true whether you ride with 5 centimeters of drop or 25 centimeters. Flexibility and back stiffness just are not relevant to bike fitting. Nor is the amount of drop in your position. If you feel tightness in your glutes or hamstrings when in the aero position then you are probably sitting too far back. If your back hurts in the aero position then you are also probably sitting too far back.
I have a bike with a fair amount of drop (23 centimeters) and when on the aerobars and tipping the end of the saddle then I feel perfectly fine and have no issues. If I slide too far back on the saddle and try to apply the same amount of power then the above mentioned muscles feel tight and can’t do much work. And it starts to hurt my back. Think of your spine as a hammock suspended between two trees but not under tension. That is what it should feel like when you are laid out on the aerobars. If that is not how it feels then your bike does not fit you well or is not set up correctly. Your arms and upper body should be relaxed and loose while your trunk muscles provide stability and you legs hammer round and round like pistons.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have chronic back problems and went with a Carbon Soloist, set up as a tri bike. For insurance claim reasons, I needed a Cervelo and I couldn't get comfortable on a P2C. With the taller head tube, I can get a comfortable position without a ton of spacers.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes or Frame for the less limber> back issues [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that the need carbon cannondale tri bike?

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What frame do you currently ride and how is it set up?

Do you have back pain riding that bike in that position?

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes or Frame for the less limber> back issues [namaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
What frame do you currently ride and how is it set up?

Do you have back pain riding that bike in that position? [/reply]

------------------------------------------------------------

Kestrel Talon, tri set up, seat in forward setting.

I was fitted last year to help with back pain(SI joint), it did help alot, but still some pain on longer or intense rides. And I have tried all kinds of therapies and have come to the conclusion that I will always have back pain.

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take a look at Titanflex, if you can get past (or don't mind) the looks. The headtubes are fairly long (and can be custom) and there are different booms available depending on how much "bounce" you want/need. Supposed to be one of the most comfortable and aero bikes out there.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SI pain is not a nice thing. Sometimes any amount of therapy wont help it.

It is then about not putting your body in the positions that cause the pain. In your case forgetting about aerodynamics on the bike may be the way to go. Tri bikes are only any good if you ride then hard and low. So that opens up many possibilities. A good road bike set up in the SLAM position may be your best bet. Fit back with a short set of clip on bars. Nothing wrong with that.

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply