Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri Bikes need greater Pad Reach/X and the role of Crank Length in bike fits
Quote | Reply
Opening up a conversation:

I've been doing bike fits since late 90's. Dan's FIST clinic definitely updated my classic Serotta training in 2009. I've fit several thousand folks and more recently, while being all-in on getting Wove's saddle business going, pro's largely reach out to me for on-going bike fit help. What I'm seeing (and I'm sure everyone here on ST is seeing) are pro's having their saddles close to all of the way forward, and extender plates/mounts under their aerobars to get very far forward and ahead of what the bike's stock pad reach allows for. It seems Dan's original 80deg seattube angle should make a come back, beyond the use of saddle clamp sliders allowing for effective 80deg sta's. Iā€™d suggest 82deg staā€™s. And, tri bikes should come with greater pad reach/x (and slacker hta's). Iā€™d suggest 3-6cm greater pad reach/x across size ranges XS-XL for most brands.

Which current tri bikes have the greatest pad reach/x?

Second, a lot of pro's share that their bodies are telling them to place more of their mass over the pedals, but then their quads feel fried, so they or their bike fitter scoot their saddles far back to keep their posterior chain/glutes engaged.

While I've done and published research in biomechanics and human evolutionary biology at harvard and in ithaca, I jumped over to organizational behavior for my doctoral work, but if I had continued in that area, I would propose and then test the following hypothesis, which I have not seen in the published research literature:

H: Quad vs glute engagement is a function of the horizontal distance x from the rider's contact point on the saddle to the pedal spindle when the crank is forward and parallel to the ground (3 o'clock position). image below.
- Shorter distance x = more quad engagement.
- Longer distance x = more glute engagement.

There is published evidence that when performing weighted squats, bringing oneā€™s knees in more towards the toes = more quad muscle fiber recruitment, and more behind the toes = more glutes. applicable to cycling? If not, why are top fitters sharing with pros that the reason the fitter is placing the pro further rearward is to engage the posterior chain? It seems to me the fitters are focusing on saddle nose to bb distance but not the distance x in the hypothesis above as the culprit for glute vs quad engagement. see images and observations a) - h) below.

Edits so that information is in one place:

a) the rider wants to keep their center of mass far ahead of the bb
b) they want to keep their glutes engaged
c) the hypothesis above is that longer distance x allows for the glutes to be engaged
d) if the rider goes to shorter cranks, the rider and often their bike fitter perceive that there is a need to move the rider rearward towards the bb to keep the glutes engaged. I'm hypothesizing that this perception is due to a need to keep distance x the same as it was when they had longer cranks. The fact is, moving the saddle rearward re-closes the hip angle despite using shorter cranks.
e) Moving the saddle rearward will also lead to the rider inching forward during a race to accomplish a) (center of mass over the pedals) and they will experience quad fatigue due to distance x now being shorter.
f) the rider will scoot back to re-engage the glutes but then inch forward to accomplish a). Rinse and repeat. inch, scoot, inch, scoot, inch...
g) a solution is to set the rider up to accomplish a) and use longer cranks to accomplish c).
h) longer pad reach/x will be required to accomplish g) so that the rider is not scrunched up on the bike.

- also see: crank length effect on gearing via mechanical advantage
- proā€™s training by power while monitoring cadence simply shift gears to maintain power/cadence, which in effect controls for crank length effect on gain ratio, making the effect of crank length to the rider primarily biomechanical.
- changing to shorter crank length makes gearing harder; changing to longer crank length makes gearing easier. Change gear range appropriately so not maxed out too easy/hard so that cadence can be maintained. see gain ratio link above.
- pedal/angular velocity increases with longer cranks if cadence is maintained, and there are some biomechanical and metabolic changes related to changing crank length in addition to % muscle recruitment (quad vs glute engagement).
- If a rider is sliding forward on a saddle with a slick cover material, that can definitely fatigue quads. The Wove V8 saddle has a grippy cover for that reason, to hold the rider in place.

sub-hypotheses:
- H(a) as you change distance x, the difference in % quad vs glute muscle engagement will be roughly the same despite changes in pad stack/y, changes in saddle angle, and different pedal velocities when cadence is maintained across different crank lengths. (testing interaction terms)
- H(b) changes in pad stack/y, saddle angle or pedal velocity will have non significant effects on quad vs glute engagement when compared simultaneously to the effect of changes in the distance x on quad/glute engagement. (comparing direct effects)

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 19, 23 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see you put some numbers on some of this.

Of course riders with short(er) cranks position their saddles farther back than those on long(er) cranks, that's necessary just to equalize the rest of the position relative to the pedal, and the x/y axis of the crank. It's *very* clear that many/most riders don't account for this when they first switch to shorter cranks, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that over time this leads to saddles being pushed back in reaction.

How far outside this normalizing standard do you think riders are trending? How do these trends in crank/cockpit length break down relative to rider height/morphology? How have the current generation of top saddles influenced this, and has the actual seated position of the riders changed significantly, or is it largely saddle placement? Saddles like yours and the Gebiomized are definitely going to wind up in a different x/y position than one of the formerly ubiquitous short/split saddle designs for the same normalized position.
If rider seating positions *have* changed, how much of this is due to better saddle designs allowing for increased incidence of and/or a larger degree of anterior pelvic tilt, which would contribute fairly significantly to some of the things you have observed?

In re: gain ratio... it's also possible that at the bike speeds currently common in the pro ranks, increased mechanical efficiency through increased cog size at a given pedal velocity due to changes in gain ratio is a driving force for longer cranks. I would suggest you would want to control for this before assuming biomechanical root causes, especially absent solid data for some of the above...

Just some quick thoughts, interesting stuff!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Oct 13, 23 20:08
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that folks sit more rearward on the Wove and Gebiomobized and hence move the saddle forward as compared to an ISM?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Are you saying that folks sit more rearward on the Wove and Gebiomobized and hence move the saddle forward as compared to an ISM?

Iā€™ve seen people sit forward and rearward on both saddles. For my saddles, I get people to sit more in the middle of the nose and if they prefer to be further back, like Braden Currie, we put him on our Mags with its more narrow nose. But, the saddle can be moved fore and aft in the saddle clamp to change the distance I referenced in my above hypothesis regarding glute vs quad engagement, with the rider maintaining their forward/mid/rearward position on the saddle. So, where the person is on the saddle is not a factor with regard to my above hypothesis.

quick comparison: https://www.instagram.com/...hid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

we're working on a fit/saddle set up video, but here's the outline of the content: link
(images at bottom of doc)

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 14, 23 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Of course riders with short(er) cranks position their saddles farther back than those on long(er) cranks, that's necessary just to equalize the rest of the position relative to the pedal, and the x/y axis of the crankā€¦

Just some quick thoughts, interesting stuff!

Thank you. Note that your statement above partially supports the hypothesis in the original post. The feedback Iā€™m receiving is that a rider moving further back when they go to shorter cranks is to keep their glutes engaged, and that closes off the hips and doesnā€™t allow them to feel theyā€™re putting their mass into the pedal stroke (and they have issues on the run).

As for ā€˜putting numbers to this hypothesisā€™, I wrote that Iā€™m not doing biomechanics research at the moment, so I can only leave you with a hypothesis based on observations, a tiny bit of thematic analysis, and no statistical comparison conducted. Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œnormalizing standardā€ - it sounds like youā€™re asking for a t-test, but I wonā€™t be doing any analyses. Iā€™m just stating a hypothesis. The feedback Iā€™m getting verbally and seeing in results seems to support the hypothesis, but definitely doesnā€™t fully confirm it.

I made some edits in the OP that address your other comments - thank you for the thoughts!

watching the women in Kona right now and see many of them crunched up forward - guarantee thatā€™s not where they were during their bike fit, and now their glute vs quad use is far off from what they were perceiving during their bike fit, and I suggest that will affect their run. When triathletes are fit sitting far back behind the bb like a TT rider bound by UCI rules (Remco being an exception), they often inch forward during long course triathlon races (and have to constantly scoot back all race). Rudy (175mm) and Magness (172.5mm) are examples of triathletes in the position Iā€™m speaking of in my OP.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 14, 23 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if I need to trade back in my 160s for something long again!

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
proā€™s training by power while monitoring cadence simply shift gears to maintain power/cadence, which in effect controls for crank length effect on gain ratio, making the effect of crank length to the rider primarily biomechanical.

Are pros actually doing this? It's a pretty significant intervention, as absent this intervention people won't tend to normalize cadence, they will tend to normalize pedal velocity. Circumventing the "normal" adaptation this way would be fairly confounding, experimentally.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

proā€™s training by power while monitoring cadence simply shift gears to maintain power/cadence, which in effect controls for crank length effect on gain ratio, making the effect of crank length to the rider primarily biomechanical.

Are pros actually doing this? It's a pretty significant intervention, as absent this intervention people won't tend to normalize cadence, they will tend to normalize pedal velocity. Circumventing the "normal" adaptation this way would be fairly confounding, experimentally.

Yes, if gear range (chain ring size and cassette size) allows for the same gain ratio with the different crank lengths, they maintain the same cadence at a given power across different crank lengths. gear range is the only confounding variable and pretty easy to address: need easier gears when going to shorter cranks, harder gears when going to longer cranks. Iā€™ve seen pros have pretty locked in cadences.

If pedal velocity was ā€œnormalizedā€ (ā€œmaintained/held constantā€ might work better there), athletes would have lower cadences with longer cranks. I see amateurs with lower cadences with shorter crank, most often because their gearing is now too hard and they havenā€™t updated their gear range to maintain the gain ratio (see link in OP re: gain ratio to understand the relationship between gearing, wheel/tire size, and crank length).

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 14, 23 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes, if gear range (chain ring wise and cassette size) allows for the some gain ratio with the different crank lengths, they maintain the same cadence at a given power across different crank lengths. gear range is the only confounding variable and pretty easy to address: need easier gears when going to shorter cranks, harder gears when going to longer cranks. Iā€™ve seen pros have pretty locked in cadences.

If this is true, then they're altering pedal velocity to maintain cadence. You can't hold the same cadence across different crank lengths without changing pedal velocity. This will, of course, result in changes in the muscle force/shortening velocity relationship.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Yes, if gear range (chain ring wise and cassette size) allows for the some gain ratio with the different crank lengths, they maintain the same cadence at a given power across different crank lengths. gear range is the only confounding variable and pretty easy to address: need easier gears when going to shorter cranks, harder gears when going to longer cranks. Iā€™ve seen pros have pretty locked in cadences.

If this is true, then they're altering pedal velocity to maintain cadence. You can't hold the same cadence across different crank lengths without changing pedal velocity. This will, of course, result in changes in the muscle force/shortening velocity relationship.

Yes, zero argument there: pedal/angular velocity increases with longer cranks if cadence is maintained, and there are definitely biomechanical and metabolic changes related to changing crank length in addition to % muscle recruitment (quad vs glute engagement). That doesnā€™t negate the hypothesis in the OP.

I am strongly suggesting that % muscle recruitment + % mass over the pedals is more consequential/important than other biomechanical and metabolic changes related to changing crank length.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 14, 23 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

By and large, people try to put their body in the same position, regardless of what saddle they're on*, but you sit on different saddles in different places. Seat angle tells us where the seat is, it doesn't tell us where the body is. If you put, for eg: an ISM saddle and a Flight saddle in exactly the same position, the rider him/herself will wind up sitting in significantly different positions.

*a significant caveat to this is saddles that allow for riders to effect a significant increase in anterior pelvic rotation, or inhibit this rotation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

By and large, people try to put their body in the same position, regardless of what saddle they're on*, but you sit on different saddles in different places. Seat angle tells us where the seat is, it doesn't tell us where the body is. If you put, for eg: an ISM saddle and a Flight saddle in exactly the same position, the rider him/herself will wind up sitting in significantly different positions.

*a significant caveat to this is saddles that allow for riders to effect a significant increase in anterior pelvic rotation, or inhibit this rotation.

milesthedog wrote:

Iā€™ve seen people sit forward and rearward on both saddles. For my saddles, I get people to sit more in the middle of the nose and if they prefer to be further back, like Braden Currie, we put him on our Mags with its more narrow nose. But, the saddle can be moved fore and aft in the saddle clamp to change the distance I referenced in my above hypothesis regarding glute vs quad engagement, with the rider maintaining their forward/mid/rearward position on the saddle. So, where the person is on the saddle is not a factor with regard to my above hypothesis.

Here's the original hypothesis (I think it's not being understood: it's agreed upon and obvious that different saddles are sat on in different ways, but that doesn't affect the below hypothesis and that was no where a part of the OP):

milesthedog wrote:

H: Quad vs glute engagement is a function of the horizontal distance x from the rider's contact point on the saddle to the pedal spindle when the crank is forward and parallel to the ground (3 o'clock position).
- Shorter distance x = more quad engagement.
- Longer distance x = more glute engagement.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 14, 23 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Here's the original hypothesis (I think it's not being understood):

Not misunderstood (at least on my part), I was asking for clarification as to how you are measuring this. Seat angle is a proxy for this measurement, but it's not a great one. I'm also suggesting that you need to control for pelvic rotation (Increased rotation will result in a more rearward saddle position, an increase in desired reach, or both).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Here's the original hypothesis (I think it's not being understood):

Not misunderstood (at least on my part), I was asking for clarification as to how you are measuring this. Seat angle is a proxy for this measurement, but it's not a great one. I'm also suggesting that you need to control for pelvic rotation (Increased rotation will result in a more rearward saddle position, an increase in desired reach, or both).

Can you see how seat angle is not a proxy and pelvic rotation would not affect this measurement? Pelvic rotation will affect where on the pelvic bone the rider is in contact with the saddle, but all my measurement "x" is concerned about is the contact point with the saddle, regardless of what part of the pelvic bone it is.

a) the rider wants to keep their center of mass far ahead of the bb
b) they want to keep their glutes engaged
c) the hypothesis above is that longer distance x allows for the glutes to be engaged
d) if the rider goes to shorter cranks, the rider and often their bike fitter perceive that there is a need to move the rider rearward towards the bb to keep the glutes engaged. I'm hypothesizing that this perception is due to a need to keep distance x the same as it was when they had longer cranks. The fact is, moving the saddle rearward re-closes the hip angle despite using shorter cranks.
e) Moving the saddle rearward will also lead to the rider inching forward during a race to accomplish a) (center of mass over the pedals) and they will experience quad fatigue due to distance x now being shorter.
f) the rider will scoot back to re-engage the glutes but then inch forward to accomplish a). Rinse and repeat. inch, scoot, inch, scoot, inch...
g) a solution is to set the rider up to accomplish a) and use longer cranks to accomplish c).
h) longer pad reach/x will be required to accomplish g) so that the rider is not scrunched up on the bike.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 19, 23 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

That doesnā€™t negate the hypothesis in the OP.

I dunno, I think there might be some chicken/egg going on here. To be significantly reductionist, you're describing KOPS, and a range of very traditional road positioning truisms that surround that approach. The physiological basis for at least some of these traditional truisms - IE: the ones that actually work - is reasonably well studied (as you of course know!) and I wouldn't expect different outcomes from that previous work.

As an aside; it would be great if you could just reply in threaded format. I don't think modifying your original posts is particularly conducive to reasoned discussion.

Last edited by: fredly: Oct 14, 23 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Can you see how seat angle is not a proxy and pelvic rotation would not affect this measurement?

Your hypothesis isn't confined to positional changes that are bound or described by that measurement, so while yes, also no.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Can you see how seat angle is not a proxy and pelvic rotation would not affect this measurement?

Your hypothesis isn't confined to positional changes that are bound or described by that measurement, so while yes, also no.

I think what you're suggesting is that saddle angle, pedal velocity, rider pad stack/y, and other possibly confounding factors should be included in any analysis.

They get tested as interaction terms. Iā€™d hypothesize that those interaction terms will have no significant effect.

In everyday words: as you change distance x, the difference in % quad vs glute muscle engagement will be roughly the same despite the rider sitting more upright or more leaned over, at different saddle angles, and at different pedal velocities when cadence is maintained across different crank lengths.

It seems you are also making the point that the interaction terms need to also be included as independent variables re: your chicken/egg and proxy comments. I donā€™t expect a change in pad stack/y, saddle angle or pedal velocity will effect quad vs glute engagement even remotely as much as changes in the distance x.

note: If a rider is sliding forward on a saddle with a slick cover material, that can definitely overuse quads. The Wove V8 saddle has a grippy cover for that reason, to hold the rider in place.

Identifying and testing the effects of confounding factors is important, and also a given.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 15, 23 6:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(shrugs)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO this whole "where you sit/crank length/muscle involvement" as part of a bike fitting should be further refined for Tri and TT specific, and with the tremendous preponderance of Tri riders, I'm not sure bike fitters do this (bike fitters please chime in on this)..

For example, a Tri rider does need some modicum of comfort, and they have to run when the dismount. A typical TT rider doing a 25 mile or less race (one hour or less on the bike) gives a rat's hinny about comfort, and if they've done their splits right, may not even be able to walk when dismounting.

It's possible that this is why short cranks are less frequent in TT's (besides the UCI regs). Dan Bigham, who is a techno nerd, used 170's on his Hour Record - and no, the Laws of Physics are not different because he was on an indoor velodrome. Ganna, who is taller, also used 170's - but like Merckx, is so strong he probably could have used a Schwinn Stingray!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the position referenced in the OP, more forward, is being chosen by tri pro's for comfort and run performance off the bike.

Ganna: I trust Ronan and he said he couldn't find out what crank length Ganna was using (despite other news outlets publishing 170mm) on the adjustable Wattshop crank that has available adjustment between 160m and 175mm. Looking at the many close up photos, Ganna has his pedal very far forward suggesting longer than 170mm:

article: https://velo.outsideonline.com/...ng/ganna-bike-check/

As for UCI TT folks, Remco rides on the nose with his center of mass far ahead of the bb similar to rudy and magness and other tri pro's. Good article here looking how he increased pad stack/y (something Iā€™ve been doing a lot of in recent fits to allow for more of a shrug and to close the hand-head gap, and increase off the bike run performance), and has his saddle slammed forward (see OP re: center of mass): https://velo.outsideonline.com/...hing-the-algarve-tt/

And this video confirms 170mm crank length (heā€™s 5ā€™ 7ā€ tall):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCvQm1z7h0w

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 15, 23 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

Ganna: I trust Ronan and he said he couldn't find out what crank length Ganna was using (despite other news outlets publishing 170mm) on the adjustable Wattshop crank that has available adjustment between 160m and 175mm. Looking at the many close up photos, Ganna has his pedal very far forward suggesting longer than 170mm:

article: https://velo.outsideonline.com/...ng/ganna-bike-check/

Very interesting, and certainly makes sense, given Ganna's height. This photo supposedly are the cranks removed by the UCI right after the run, making sure there was no motor. Sure looks like the 175mm position to me -

Last edited by: Hanginon: Oct 15, 23 2:44
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice catch with that photo of the backside of the crank pedal insert!

an aside: have you seen the weight on that crankset?! I almost suggested it to a pro over the 3T Torno, but couldnā€™t once I saw the weight. I get that on the track thatā€™s not an issue.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 15, 23 5:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting points, however there are some questions on the table.
Like what or when is a cranklength considered short?

Frodeno, quite a tall guy, rides his Canyon very steep with a 170 mm crank and I would say that is a ā€˜shortā€™ crank for his legs.
Sam Laidlow, extended plate/spacer on his Canyon size large, also a taller guy is at 165 mm but rides also very steep.
Magnus Ditlev is a very very tall guy also extended cockpit, saddle also not super slack as you suggest and looking at how tall he is a 172,5 mm crank isnā€™t that long. I would say it compares about to a 165 mm for a 180 cm body length, normal morphology.

So your points are interesting but the above mentioned proā€™s do not match your profile so I think there is more on the table then what you suggest.
Although I agree with you we need longer bikes;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes with Greatest Pad Reach/X ?? and the role of Crank Length in modern Tri bike fits [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have to do the study to see at what distance x for a given rider height the scale is tipped between quad and glute muscle recruitment. As it is, many fitters are placing riders further back towards the bb to engage the posterior chain without examining if the distance x is the driving factor for that decision, and how crank length affects that distance x and quad vs glute engagement, or how that affects the rider on race day in terms of the rider inching forward to get their center of mass more forward, then having to scoot back persistently during the race, and how that affects the run.

Frodeno and Laidlow are definitely examples of athletes getting their centers of mass further in front of the bb. Would Laidlow have had less issues outside of IMWCā€™s this year with different cranks? I donā€™t know. Would Frodenoā€™s position this year looked better than it did? I donā€™t know; it definitely did not look as good this year as yearā€™s past.

In the OP, I reference quad vs glute engagement during weighted squats with knees further over or behind the personā€™s toes, for which there is published research, but I havenā€™t heard anything about that - the OP and my later responses were a lot less about profiling proā€™s than how distance x affects muscle engagement.

TRIPRO wrote:

Although I agree with you we need longer bikes;-)

100% need frames with longer pad reach/x.
- I'd also suggest taller stack seeing just how may spacers are under most pro's and amateurs aerobars nowadays. And, filling in the space between the frame/bento-box and torso could contribute to the bottle-down-the-jersey aero benefit.
- for a frame with a stack/reach of 54cm/42.4cm, suggesting an updated stack/reach of 56cm/48.4cm.
- the bike in the image below has a 78deg sta. look how far forward the saddle is and also how far forward many pro's currently have their saddles.
- update the frame to have an 82deg sta.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Oct 15, 23 22:18
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bikes need greater Pad Reach/X and the role of Crank Length in bike fits [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now this is an interesting bike fit -

"https://www.facebook.com/reel/1008052383646480"

Kiddy Kranks?
Last edited by: Hanginon: Oct 19, 23 9:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next