Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike or Road Bike?
Quote | Reply
So here I am looking to the wisdom of ST for some advice. I am considering purchasing a new bike in the next few months. I currently race and train on a Cannondale Multisport 2000. I am about 6' tall and the bike has 650 wheels. The bike fits me well and I have a setup on the bike that I love for TT/Triathlon, big ring up front, nice set of race wheels, etc. The bike is worth more to me than I could ever get for it and I don't really want to strip it down and use the parts to build up a new frame.

If I were to purchase a new tri-bike it would most definitely come with 700 wheels and thus my investment in race wheels would be negated. I would love to get a nice road bike and am wondering what the effects of this would be on my triathlon racing. Again, the road bike would obviously have 700s and I would be racing my tri bike with 650s. I love my Cannondale and would like to keep it for tri racing and some training in the weeks leading up to my races. The bike is in great condition and training on a new road bike would take a great deal of the everyday wear and tear off of the bike.

Does this plan sound logical or have I just convinced myself because this is what I want to do? Or should I just bite the bullet, get what I can get for my Cannondale and buy a new tri bike and do all of my training and racing on that. I guess my question is, do I spend the money on a new road bike and then have 2 really nice bikes (albeit and older tri bike for racing) or do I sell the Cannondale and use some of the parts to build a new tri bike that would cost me slightly less having sold my old bike and then I would have a great new tri-bike. Also, if I buy the road bike how is training on 700s and racing on 650s going to effect me? Thanks in advance.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good plan! Get a road bike and do some group rides. Save your tri geom for races and key workouts. Road biking is fun and if you get with the fast group, it will help make you a stronger all around cyclist including your bike split in a tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would there be any adverse effects to training on 700s and racing on 650s?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Would there be any adverse effects to training on 700s and racing on 650s? "

No. Lots of people do and will tell you that they don't notice a difference.

Sounds like a good plan. If you're happy with the Cannondale keep it and get the road bike. Another alternative might be for a do-it-both bike like the Cervelo Soloist, albiet you may consider it a bit too much of a compromise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same setup with 2 bikes as you are suggesting - 650/700. No problem they are just two different animals. Road bike is fun for riding with the groups and tribike is serious business.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 650c tri and a 700c road bike. No problems. In fact, I think they compliment each other nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have a 650c tri and a 700c road bike. No problems. In fact, I think they compliment each other nicely.[/reply]

650: Lookin' good, old school!
700: Naw man, you're the bike, dog!
650: Got to love your big hoops
700: You got the rpms going on little man
MTB: Get a room!

Oh...wait, you probably mean complement. Sorry, my bad (bad sense of humor, that is). Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike or Road Bike? [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a more serious note - your plan is a good one. Sounds like your TT bike is in good shape. You'll really enjoy a nice road bike as a second ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. You're exactly right. In fact, the MTB is always calling the road and tri bikes a couple of prissy little bitches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bwahahahaha!

As a writer and editor, as well as a triathlete, I'm gonna have to say that is just about the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

Yeah, I'm a dork, I have no problem with that.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply