Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TriRig Omega feels "mushy"? Is this normal?
Quote | Reply
So I just installed a TriRig Omega front brake on my TT bike, replacing a SRAM Red caliper. I'm used to the normal brakes with a barrel adjuster so you can tighten the action when you brake. The Omega doesn't have a barrel adjuster, but I followed the installation video and it still feels mushy. It doesn't start closing until I've pulled the brake lever about halfway. Is this just the trade off for the aero features? Its almost like the 2 spring loaded arms on either side of the cable aren't tight enough. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega feels "mushy"? Is this normal? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I have seen cause this is if you don't trim the cable nice and tight up against the wedge. It is super easy to trim it well if you pull the wedge out of the brake and then trim it, rather than trying to work with it in the brake. It just pops in and out so that is easy to do.

If the cable sticks out of the bottom of the wedge too far, it rests against the cover and then the wedge is pushed up a little bit creating slack in the cable.

It could also be you didn't pull the cable nice and tight while tightening it in the wedge, or have a kink in the routing somewhere. I

What levers are you using?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega feels "mushy"? Is this normal? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't pull the cable through the "delta" sufficiently before you tightened down the clamp set screw. Since you've already cut the cable now, you're going to have a tough time pulling the slack out of the system. I have about ten Omega brakes. Every one begins to actuate with even the slightest pull of the lever, but that's because I take care to get the slack out.

With the wheel off the bike and the cover off the brake, pull as much of the cable as possible through the delta (while it's in its home/open position) before you tighten that set screw. I even push the delta up a bit which begins to move the lever arms before I clamp things ... Just to make sure there's zero slack left.

I have Omegas on three road bikes and two TT bikes. I assure you, THIS is the issue. It's user installation error.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega feels "mushy"? Is this normal? [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any experience with the upgrade Lever kit that has become available on the Tririg store recently? Looks like braking power would be improved vs. the gen2 and earlier editions. $29.99 for the kit (new wedge, 2 levers), which is for a single brake. Does not apply to the SV brakes since they already come w/the new design.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Omega feels "mushy"? Is this normal? [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not been happy with the stopping power of my Omega and it turned out this was apparently my problem. It wasn't obvious but when I pulled up on the housing I discovered it had several millimeters of play. While I was at it I completely disassembled the brake, cleaned all the parts and lubed it, and now it feels like a different brake. I'll have to keep an eye on this so that cable stretch doesn't compromise the brake's effectiveness.

Although it's a cool bit of kit, it's definitely a bit on the finicky side.
Quote Reply