Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trek Madone Speed
Quote | Reply
I am a bit confused at whom they are trying to market this to: https://bikerumor.com/...removable-aero-bars/

The aerobars look to be too long for draft-legal, and the seatpost doesn't look to be adjustable to flip into a TT bike position. Is this just a glorified bolt-on aerobars for roadies what to do the occasional weekend tri races?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized also has both draft legal and non-draft bolt on aerobars for the venge. I suspect this is something similar
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really... the mono extension for this bike is decidedly non-DL - too far out and no bridge. They may have others coming later but not on the configuration as I can see right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Is this just a glorified bolt-on aerobars for roadies what to do the occasional weekend tri races?

I believe that's the case. In fairness, it looks like a pretty nice system.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does look nice... I hope they make a draft-legal version of the mono extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got the email and thought I would check on here to see what people are saying. My ?? is what does this do to the Speed Concept, a disc version coming? The end of the SC? I've been riding a SC since it first came out and a TTX before that. I hope this isn't the replacement for a next gen SC.
To me this is a compromise bike, great road bike set up that can do a decent job doing double duty in TT's and Tri's. I prefer to keep my road bike set up as a road bike and my TT/Tri bike as a dedicated TT/Tri bike. The first thing I checked on the specs on this new bike is the seat tube angle and at 72 - 73 degrees it will never work (for me) as a replacement to my current SC.
This is a beautiful looking bike though, just not for me.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks pretty damn aero, for a "converted" road bike. You can't flip the seatpost, but they do have a 5mm setback seatpost that will bring you forward a bit more. It's not a great bike for the dedicated triathlete, but, for a biker who dabbles in triathlon, or the person who can't justify having separate road and tri bikes (for budget, or space reasons), it seems about as good a compromise as there currently is on the market. They really missed an opportunity, though, to work with Shimano and figure out some sort of Di2 quick-disconnect that would have allowed shifting from the aerobars without hindering the easy convertibility.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jun 20, 19 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth they offer a version with the eTap clics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
It does look nice... I hope they make a draft-legal version of the mono extensions.

Worst case scenario one could get the plug-in extension and bend a single piece of aluminum tube (it wouldn't be trivial but it is doable).
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
just got the email and thought I would check on here to see what people are saying. My ?? is what does this do to the Speed Concept, a disc version coming? The end of the SC? I've been riding a SC since it first came out and a TTX before that. I hope this isn't the replacement for a next gen SC.
To me this is a compromise bike, great road bike set up that can do a decent job doing double duty in TT's and Tri's. I prefer to keep my road bike set up as a road bike and my TT/Tri bike as a dedicated TT/Tri bike. The first thing I checked on the specs on this new bike is the seat tube angle and at 72 - 73 degrees it will never work (for me) as a replacement to my current SC.
This is a beautiful looking bike though, just not for me.

This is, almost certainly, not a replacement for the Speed Concept. Geometry is wrong and Trek doesn't strike me as a company that would make that sort of a mistake.

This is a decent solution for the roadie who does the occasional triathlon or TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Considering the price you could easily have a nice dedicated road bike and a TT bike.

I guess they were updating their aero road and thought, might as well have this TT bar option. I think they have gone wrong making the TT bar the focus of the launch rather then just an optional add on.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of strange from a pricing standpoint: this standalone model is ~$6,500 but if you get an identically spec'd Madone 6 and "add" the aerobar it comes out over $7,000 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reference picture for everyone else:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Madone Speed has all the award-winning speed and handling of Madone SLR—plus the added benefit of a lot more versatility. You can train with a group without the bars, then throw them on for race day. It’s the smartest option for most people doing triathlon or time trials today.”

No, its not. A dedicated tri or TT bike is the smartest option for most people doing triathlon or time trials today. And the SC is one of the best dedicated tri or TT bikes on the market.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Jun 20, 19 20:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bars are an optional add on to the existing Madone SLR.

From Trek:
Utilize the Madone SLR 6 Disc Speed as a stocking model

Retrofit any existing Madone SLR with a new stem faceplate and mono extension for customers who are already riding Madone and want an inexpensive upgrade to unlock extra potential in their bike.

Also available via Project One

Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

“Madone Speed has all the award-winning speed and handling of Madone SLR—plus the added benefit of a lot more versatility. You can train with a group without the bars, then throw them on for race day. It’s the smartest option for most people doing triathlon or time trials today.”

I don't know if Trek has plans to downsize the Speed Concept offerings or otherwise change their strategy in triathlon, but that quote certainly suggests it. In addition, the headline for the press release was, "The all-new Madone Speed is the ideal aero setup for most triathletes".
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope not but I will say, being a 2019 madone and a gen2 speed concept owner, that I am reaching for the madone a lot more often than the SC in training and I could definitely see myself racing it with aerobars on a hilly or technical course. It handles like a dream and is far more comfortable without really giving up much aerodynamically. I could see why Trek thinks most people would fit into a category of wanting just one bike that's good at everything. Plus it's always good to make a bold statement to feed the marketing hype machine ;-).

[/quote]

I don't know if Trek has plans to downsize the Speed Concept offerings or otherwise change their strategy in triathlon, but that quote certainly suggests it. In addition, the headline for the press release was, "The all-new Madone Speed is the ideal aero setup for most triathletes".[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [Tridude1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the SC is not listed on the ‘20 dealer price list as of yet. Under the heading of triathlon it only lists the MS

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this comment below the article.

Paul Signorino June 20, 2019 at 11:01 pm
I am confused. I thought the last 20 years of triathlon fitting has taught us slapping clip ons to a road bike is the exact thing not to do. And here we are.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me that is doing 5 TRI per year and lots of training ride with my commute bike Giant Defy. I certainly would like to train on a Madone without bars and install the aerobar when racing.

Right now I have a Felt B14, do you think the Madone would be faster with aerobars ?

Thanks

Martin
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [mchampoux99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way, the b14 is a really clean aero bike that is proven to be fast in triathlon. The aero road bikes would be really hard to get that same angle and position most triathletes ride in. I also think the normal road handlebars alone would creat a huge amount of drag v a TT bull horns and bars, especially considering much of the aero gains now in TT are coming via front end improvements.

Sounds like your road bike and TT setup are working well stick with it. 3 years ago I rode an old Felt b10 to qualify to kona, and finish 6th outright, it looked like a collectors item as I wheeled it into transition with so many 1 or 2 year old bikes and here I am with a 10 speed green and black felt with some zipp404 from 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you serious ?

Average TT bike is faster than a super aero bike like a Madone with aerobars ?

I tought the Madone would beat thw avg TT bike.

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
dalava wrote:
Is this just a glorified bolt-on aerobars for roadies what to do the occasional weekend tri races?

I believe that's the case. In fairness, it looks like a pretty nice system.

This is exact the reason why I'm getting an SLR and the monobars, or perhaps an SL and the cheaper clip on system. You can put the aero bars on an older SLR, not just the 2020 Speed. I'm due for a bike upgrade and I'm transitioning my main focus from triathlon to cycling but I still might want to do the 1 or 2 local triathlons close to me each year, one of which has a very hilly course so you're not in aero position that much anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For that use case I think it’s very well suited
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty awesome! Between madone, venge, and s5 with new integrated aerobars, the triathlete has some incredible options to have ONE bike year around. A few ST folks, like me, converted the old S5 into a tri bike and I remember it was very fast, stiff, and light. My times were similar or better than my current SC (lot of reasons behind that). :)

Though, I think my current position on my SC feels good with 165 crank arms, while my tarmac has 172.5. Also, takes the hassle away from switching around my road bike position if I was optimising for an aero road bike. These days, you can get an great road bike and a great tri bike (2nd hand, etc..) for a similar price range of the Madone/Venge/S5 with aerobars. If you don't have the space, then getting the one bike is a great option.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Madone Speed [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Injecting new life into an old thread
Does anyone know if you can add spacers to the pads? I was told not; which seems crazy because I think in its normal road position the pad height will be very low
Quote Reply

Prev Next