Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Traveling to Kona with Bike?
Quote | Reply
I've been told that shipping the bike is the way to go. So now i'm trying to figure out how to actually do that. Going to Kona (no i didn't qualify, the girlfriend did) with the bike and want to know how to ship it. Do i get it boxed up at the bike shop? Do i have the bike shop send it? Or do i get a box from the bike shop and box it and mail it myself? Where do i ship it to, the hotel? A bike shop?

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling to Kona with Bike? [elake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easiest most expensive route would be to take it to your LBS. I'm sure they would take care of it. You could have them pack it and send it to a LBS in Kona (e.g., http://www.hpbikeworks.com), telling them first of course, and they will assemble it for you on the other end. Or you can do it all yourself, if you have tools and packing material (you could probably pick up a cardboard bike box at your LBS).

Personally, I just took mine on the plane, and so did a lot of other people. (no I didn't qualify, I went as a vacation because Im a tri whore). Wasn't too much of a hassle, although your CO2 cartridges will get confiscated. Not sure whether airline fee is more than mail. My guess would be that they are about equal.

Kona is a blast! Take care on the queen k though and good luck to the gf.
Last edited by: johnthesavage: Aug 11, 04 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling to Kona with Bike? [elake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two bike shops in Kona are well versed with receiving shipped bikes. If you haven't done this before, then definitely have your LBS pack and ship the bike UPS or FedEx (remind them it can not go surface!). The shop receiving the bike will not unpack it unless there is a note attached to the outside instructing them to do so, but it is better to call them to make arrangements ahead of time and get prices for building up the bike. Also good idea to get a check-over of the bike as things tend to loosen up on plane rides. October is nutty in Kona and you will have to make an appointment for servicing. Have fun!

B&L Bike and Sports - go to <insideoutsports.com>, and there is a page somewhere on shipping bikes to IMH. B&L Bikes Kona
75-5699 Kopiko Place
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740-1668
808-329-3309

HP Bikeworks <www.hpbikeworks.com> (808) 326-2453, Luhia Street, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740.

Quote | Reply
B&L bikes charges a huge premium for shipping your bike out after the race. HP charged like a $10 premium...but still probably cheaper to go directly to a Fed-Ex place. Easiest of all is to fly with your bike, but beware that there may be a delay in getting your bike at the airport as it may not make the same flight you are on. It may get put on a later flight, so if you don't rent a car you either have to wait at the airport or taxi back there later on.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling to Kona with Bike? [Becca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Becca's right. I'm a manager for an airline out here in Honolulu, and I can definitely tell you that Aloha and Hawaiian Airlines will NOT be able to put your bike on the same flight that you're getting on (if you fly to Honolulu and then on to Kona). It'll get there, though, and it'll be on either the flight just before yours or the first or second one after yours......most times.

You could try a flight like Seattle/Maui/Kona. Or Chicago/Maui/Kona. A couple of the majors (mine included :-) have those routes, now. That way, your equipment would fly with you.

Kahuna
Quote Reply