Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training with powermeter, but not for racing?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use a powermeter for training and then use race wheels not equipted for a powermeter? I was looking at getting a powertap but can't afford an extra hub to build up on an aero rim.

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Re: Training with powermeter, but not for racing? [bikerbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always race with power. For an "A" race I either use a wheel cover for my training wheel that has a PT or I rent a race wheel with a PT.

For less important races I just use my 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro training wheel that has PT and front aero wheel.

For me, the pacing benefits of the meter on the bike (and subsequently the run) are greater than any aero loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Training with powermeter, but not for racing? [Kevin P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My personal spin on this would be that using a powermeter on race day can give false results...I race on HRT as this is ultimately (over IM anyways) the deciding factor. If you have good legs 300 Watts could be too easy and whats the point in backing off and the same the other way...bad legs and 300Watts will smash you to bits!!

Train on power if you must but don't race on it unless you totally and uterlly understand it!!!

Just my opinion...*waits in corner cowering for the coaches to give this opinion an absolute smahing to bits!!*

========================

My Homepage
Quote Reply
Re: Training with powermeter, but not for racing? [bikerbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would argue it is a better plan to build a PM straight into a race wheel and use it for specific training days. At least half the usefulness of a PM is having it on race day, unless you race O-distance and shorter where pacing is less of an issue. A race wheel would hold up to the occasional training day test to see where you are and help you plan for races. Building one only for training doesn't make any sense to me.

My PM is in the bottom bracket, so I use whatever wheel I want.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Training with powermeter, but not for racing? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My PM is in the bottom bracket, so I use whatever wheel I want.

Chad
Chad...you use the Ergomo system then I presume?? If so how are you getting on with it???

========================

My Homepage
Quote Reply
Re: Training with powermeter, but not for racing? [Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it a lot and don't understand why anyone would bother with the others. It has been hassle free for me and I like the fact that I have an easy to read display that has watts, cadence, heart rate and speed all at the same time. Plus I use whatever wheel or crank I wish.

Then again, if you are in love with your bike then the cpu unit is huge and not pretty, nor is the big black cable that runs up your tube from the BB to the handlebars, but frankly I couldn't care less.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Training with powermeter, but not for racing? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hopefully due to be getting one in the new year when they hit the Uk...I can't wait. I like that fact that I can use any wheel also and as for the cable...looks a lot neater than all the SRM's and PowerTaps that I've seen. I think there may be a new head unit though as the one that I've seen is now the same as the SRM!!

========================

My Homepage
Quote Reply