Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training on 404s or Quarq (Update)
Quote | Reply
So Santa thought I was naughty during my race season and thought I needed to work harder...On that note, I didnt get the 404s but I did get a nice gift certificate and was wondering, what would be more beneficial to training...404s or a Quarq? I can always rent the 404s for each race so it seems pretty obvious but just wanted to get some other opinions.

Just throwing this in there as I wish I could get both but can only afford either.

Thanks

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Last edited by: triscooteremu: Dec 27, 11 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Training on 404s or Quarq (Update) [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you get a Quarq, a used front wheel, and a wheel cover for your existing training wheel? This would be the best bang for your buck training and racing.

If you had to choose between 404s and Quarq, then the Quarq would give you the biggest training benefit, hands down. The 404's won't help you get any faster come race day.

Alternatively, how about looking for a used 404 with a built in powertap? Lots of options; Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Training on 404s or Quarq (Update) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick. I think the Quarq is the way to go for the best training. In NW, we dont have the best roads so I would worry about screwing up the 404s.

Had another question for anyone out there...I have a 2010 Felt B2R with 650 wheels (size 50) and was wondering which of the Quarqs (SRAM standard or SRAM compact) would be the one to roll with?

Currently in the office so I dont have the bike handy.

Dave

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 650 wheels, the bigger crank the better. I think Mirinda Carfrae rides a 58!
Quote Reply
Re: Training on 404s or Quarq (Update) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so I know mine has a 53/39 but the Quarq comes in a 50/34....what is the difference(everything other than the teeth)?

Thanks again.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is just the gearing. your top speed with the 50/34 will be lower but you will have easier gears for climbing

Since you have 650 wheels your top speed is already a bit lower and you already have pretty easy gears for climbing. 650 wheels + compacts would be kind of double compact.

definitely go with standard

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Training on 404s or Quarq (Update) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jack. All in a good days lesson.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triscooteremu wrote:
Ok so I know mine has a 53/39 but the Quarq comes in a 50/34....what is the difference(everything other than the teeth)?

Thanks again.

The difference is you'd be able to achieve about 2MPH more speed with the 53 tooth. (50x11=29.8MPH@90RPM vs 53x11=29.8MPH@90RPM 170mm crank, 650cc wheels)
Quote Reply