Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training like a powerlifter
Quote | Reply
How will my experient end, when and why

Two interval sessions with bike per week and a long ride in the weekend.

Interval sessions rotate three different Intervals:
1 hiit Intervals. Anything max 1 min like Tabata, 30/15, 40/20 or Sufferfest revolver
2. 3-5 min vo2 max Intervals
3. Longer Intervals between 8-20 min.
Rotation means that I might do Hiit on tuesday, 4x5 min on friday. Then next tuesday it is 4x8 and friday again Hiit day.

With 2 and 3 I have used erg mode and the idea is everytime to try 1% better than last time. If I make 4x8 min with 300 watts, next time it is with 303 watts. If it does not go, i try again when the interval lenght is again in rotation.
I have a spreadsheet of all powertargets and dates, when I have hit the goals. Additionally I run and swim 3 times a week and hit the gym once per week. All runs are base runs. I rest If I feel fatigued.

With Hiit Intervals I do not use erg, since the trainer adjusts resistance a bit too slowly.

First two months have been good and I have been able to increase my 1 min, 5 min and ftp power levels about 20 watts each. (Ftp from 289 to 309).

But is this too simple? Will I eventually crash and burn? Or can I just keep going with 1% improvements and be 20% stronger next summer?

I have been training off and on about 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Training like a powerlifter [Elomato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, this is perfect. In one year you'll be 52% stronger, but in five years you'll be 260% stronger! In thirty years your legs will blot out the sun and cause a rift in humanity. God speed!
Last edited by: Crentist: Sep 7, 23 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elomato wrote:
How will my experient end, when and why

Two interval sessions with bike per week and a long ride in the weekend.

Interval sessions rotate three different Intervals:
1 hiit Intervals. Anything max 1 min like Tabata, 30/15, 40/20 or Sufferfest revolver
2. 3-5 min vo2 max Intervals
3. Longer Intervals between 8-20 min.
Rotation means that I might do Hiit on tuesday, 4x5 min on friday. Then next tuesday it is 4x8 and friday again Hiit day.

With 2 and 3 I have used erg mode and the idea is everytime to try 1% better than last time. If I make 4x8 min with 300 watts, next time it is with 303 watts. If it does not go, i try again when the interval lenght is again in rotation.
I have a spreadsheet of all powertargets and dates, when I have hit the goals. Additionally I run and swim 3 times a week and hit the gym once per week. All runs are base runs. I rest If I feel fatigued.

With Hiit Intervals I do not use erg, since the trainer adjusts resistance a bit too slowly.

First two months have been good and I have been able to increase my 1 min, 5 min and ftp power levels about 20 watts each. (Ftp from 289 to 309).

But is this too simple? Will I eventually crash and burn? Or can I just keep going with 1% improvements and be 20% stronger next summer?

I have been training off and on about 10 years.

How is this like a power lifter? No max sprints 3x3....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing your power history, nobody else can predict where you will end up. Typically, nobody bothers to ask the question of whether you started from a trained or a de-trained state.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literally all of these workouts are VO2 type anaerobic stuff, not powerlifting stuff. Powerlifting workouts are by definition focused on maximum instantaneous force production and target things like increasing density of motor neurons and absolute cell density. The workouts listed here all seem to focus on lactate clearance. Yes you will also get an aerobic benefit, of course.

So training 2h per week and doing only VO2max stuff, what should we expect? From a sedentary baseline (read: training on and off) you can expect to get better at efforts in that zone, 1-5 minutes efforts.

Long term you can expect burnout anytime you set firm targets that you need to achieve (1%/week). The body just doesn't work that way. Inevitably you'll have some weeks where it feels like you could've done more, no prob. The issue is the weeks where it's just too much. You go harder than your body can handle on Tue and cant recover by Fri, which then since you have 'the plan' you have to go harder than your body can handle again. Rinse and repeat until you can't do it anymore and need a few weeks off.
Quote Reply
Re: Training like a powerlifter [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So after a few years you can ride in the shade…
Quote Reply
Re: Training like a powerlifter [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The powerlifting reference was, that I add resistance the same way as a powerlifter ads weight.

If they get 3x 300 lbs in bench press, next they try to do the same with 305. Or they try to do 4 reps, then 5 and then 6 reps and then ad weight and do three again.
Quote Reply
Re: Training like a powerlifter [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Literally all of these workouts are VO2 type anaerobic stuff, not powerlifting stuff. Powerlifting workouts are by definition focused on maximum instantaneous force production and target things like increasing density of motor neurons and absolute cell density. The workouts listed here all seem to focus on lactate clearance. Yes you will also get an aerobic benefit, of course.

So training 2h per week and doing only VO2max stuff, what should we expect? From a sedentary baseline (read: training on and off) you can expect to get better at efforts in that zone, 1-5 minutes efforts.

Long term you can expect burnout anytime you set firm targets that you need to achieve (1%/week). The body just doesn't work that way. Inevitably you'll have some weeks where it feels like you could've done more, no prob. The issue is the weeks where it's just too much. You go harder than your body can handle on Tue and cant recover by Fri, which then since you have 'the plan' you have to go harder than your body can handle again. Rinse and repeat until you can't do it anymore and need a few weeks off.

You kind of got to the point of my post.
Am I trying to force my body to a too linear progression? My idea is, that when ever I miss the target, it is time to rest. And I monitor my rest hr and hrv. Again time to rest If either starts to show symptoms of overtraining.

But let’s see how this goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elomato wrote:
The powerlifting reference was, that I add resistance the same way as a powerlifter ads weight.

If they get 3x 300 lbs in bench press, next they try to do the same with 305. Or they try to do 4 reps, then 5 and then 6 reps and then ad weight and do three again.

this is called progressive overload which is in any sport. but typically done in cycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former lifter and fan of Rippetoe's basic progressive overloading. I'm actually gonna try something similar this fall/winter with Trainerroad. Who knows where it will go. 254ftp via AI around 3wkg. Amateur gravel guy. I'm guessing where many fail in lifting workouts they don't stick with a real long term goal that has very small gains over a long period of time. 2watts gained per month over 2years is massive gains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you doing squats?

Are your legs craving squats?

Because if you’re not all about squats, then you’re not training like a powerlifter.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Training like a powerlifter [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
are you doing squats?

Because if you’re not all about squats, then you’re not training like a powerlifter.

That sounds like a CrossFitter, not a power lifter.
Quote Reply
Re: Training like a powerlifter [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
are you doing squats?

Squat, Bench, Deadlift

I thought the poster was going to be doing something like run and cycle once a week (squat and deadlift), swim twice a week (bench). All efforts 30 second sprints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, but whenever I read that title, I hear it with a jumpy funky Ska beat

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply