Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training for first 70.3 - Questions
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am currently training for my first 70.3 IM in the Netherlands and I am seeking advice as no friends or family do Triathlon.

I have a few questions and I wondered from your advice if you could help.

Basic Info on me: -
Age - 28
Height - 173cm
Weight - 74kg
Preferred discipline - Running
Current FPT - 277

I have been training for around a year and I have completed previous triathlons Olympic & Sprint, which I have very much enjoyed and this is the next step and I want to make sure I am doing this okay, not completely wrong. I am doing my own training as I do not want to pay for a coach/plan yet.

Q1 - I have just transfered data to Training Peaks and I looked at me TSS score which averages around 2000 a week, but on some websites its advising a lot less for 70.3 distance. From your experience am I way overdoing it? or is there nothing wrong with a score that high.
(My weeks consists of 2 Easy Runs | 2 Running Sessions | 1 Easy long run / 1-2 Swims (I know i need more, just building up) / 5 Cycles, mixed between long rides and tempo sessions. Averaging around 13-15 hours a week)

Q2 - Weight and Eating - I used to be a larger kid and lost a lot of weight, but in the process of that, completely destroyed my metabolism so gaining weight is very easy.
I eat around 2700 calories a day and I eat for fuel, I don't need to eat for enjoyment, but according to MyFitnessPal I am way under my calories. When you are training, do you worry about your weight or not? Would you rather be eating too much and putting an extra pound on or would you make sure you aren't getting heavier?

Q3 - Recovery - I am a creature of habit and like to keep ticking over, therefore will rarely have a full day off (sometimes once a month). In your honest experience, do you feel you need at least one day a week off, or is that too much training time lost?

Sorry for all of these questions, but any advice would be great as I would really like to see how far I can push myself in this sport.
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Training for first 70.3 - Questions [Jack020895] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Q1 - check your threshold value and make sure the workouts imported accurately. 2000 tss doesn’t make sense for your training volume.

Q2 - not my strong suit. I try to eat clean and if I’ve been more hungry than normal, I’m not afraid to make sure I fuel a workout.

Q3 - it sounds like you are doing 1 run workout; 2 long workouts, 1 bike tempo and the rest aerobic and swim. If you are disciplined to go easy on your easy days, that’s probably pretty sustainable (esp at 28). I would add that there may some value to a swim only day once a week and a super easy or off day once a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! I have focussed on 70.3 for the last couple of years. I don't use Training Peaks so can't comment on TSS. My overall volume is slightly lower than yours, I average around 12 hrs/wk but that includes 3 swims per week. But you already know you need to increase your swimming :)

I never count calories and don't worry about it at all. I only weigh myself occasionally and generally never fluctuate by more than a pound or two. I would definitely prioritise fuelling your training and recovery properly over gaining weight. If you are training up to 15 hours per week I think you would really have to be eating a lot to gain much weight. I fuel any session over about an hour and would generally have 25-50g of carbs per hour depending on the session, more for a particularly hard or long session (fyi I am female and 58kg). Also have a smoothie with protein powder for straight after.

I have a recovery day every week but more because I feel like I need it mentally than physically. I'm sure I could manage an easy swim or ride on that day but I really look forward to the day off, not having to get up early or fit in training that day.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably shouldn't be advising people on energy management... so I won't.

But let me suggest some simple math here: you're training 13-15 hours a week, meaning you burn 1000-1500 kcal a day just from the training. 2700 kcal a day intake would leave you with 1200-1700 kcal for "living and breathing".

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Training for first 70.3 - Questions [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree, It is rather irritating, but i stupidly crash dieted when I was younger, lost 8 stone and destroyed my metabolism.

I have sat at 74kg now for 3 months despite the huge calorie deficit
Quote Reply