Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Regimen of Hunter Kemper?
Quote | Reply
Trying to dig for a little training insight here. Kemper is one of the first names of the sport I heard. He seems to have continously stayed on top of his game. Does anyone have any idea of how Kemper trains? Is he self-coached or does he train under some one? I know his background sport was running in college and I am curious to how he made the adjustment into tri's at the level he finds himself.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Regimen of Hunter Kemper? [Steepleboy04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From www.usatriathlon.com

Under "Elite Athletes" then "Bios"

Personal: Hunter Craig Kemper… Born May 4, 1976 in Charlotte, N.C… Moved to Longwood (Orlando), Fla., when he was 1 year old… Parents, Gretchen and Tom, live in Longwood, Fla… Older sister Leigh is a kindergarten teacher in Orlando… On June 14, 2003, Kemper married Val Sterk, a former all-American volleyball player at Michigan State University and a former member of the U.S. national volleyball team. The two met while both trained at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs… Kemper was featured in the Dec. 11, 1989 issue of Sports Illustrated’s “Faces In The Crowd” for then being the only 13-year-old to win the Senior Division (11-14) of the IronKids Triathlon National Championship… Earned a B.A. in business from Wake Forest in May 1998… Named to the Dean’s List every semester during college… Received Wake Forest Athletic Academic Excellence Award each of his four years… Named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll, Golden Key National Honor Society, Omicron Delta Kappa (honorary leadership fraternity)… If he could only have one food for the rest of his life, it would be pizza… Featured in a September 1999 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine, as part of an Olympic athlete fashion feature…Featured in VISA ad called "Kangaroo Dreams" and a Chevy Trucks ad before the 2000 Olympic Games.

Elite Triathlon Career: Did not compete at the 2003 triathlon world championships due to illness... Victory at the 2003 ITU World Cup in Madrid, Spain, was the first World Cup win for a U.S. male since Wes Hobson in 1994… Won the first gold medal ever for a U.S. male at the Pan American Games in 2003… Qualified for the 2003 Pan American team by finishing as the first U.S. man at the Baker's Breakfast Cookies ITU International Triathlon on June 6, 2003… Named the USOC Male Triathlete of the Year for 2000… Helped win three spots for U.S. men at 2000 Games in Sydney when he placed seventh at the ITU World Championships in Perth, Australia, a race he hadn’t been planning to do. … Once the United States had three spots, Hunter got one of them by virtue of his 11th-place finish at the ITU World Cup in Sydney. … Defeated American record holder Steve Scott by almost five seconds at the 2000 Competitor Magazine/Greg Welch Mile, in conjunction with the San Diego (Calif.) Indoor Games… Earned a silver medal at the 1999 Pan American Games.

Amateur Triathlon Career: In 1997, won the USA Triathlon Amateur National Championship at the Columbia (Md.) Triathlon… Won the Goodings Sprint Triathlon in Clermont, Fla… In 1996, was the first U.S. Amateur and sixth junior at the ITU World Championship in Cleveland, Ohio… Named USA Triathlon Junior Athlete of the Year and All-American by Inside Triathlon… Was the first junior and third overall at the Boulder (Colo.) Peak Triathlon, defeating 1997 World Champion Chris McCormack who finished fourth… Was the first junior and second overall at the Monument Park Sprint Triathlon in Colorado Springs, Colo… Member of the 1996 USA Triathlon Junior National Team… In 1993, won the junior division of the USA Triathlon National Sprint Championship in Miami, Fla… Was the fourth junior at the USA Triathlon Amateur National Championship at Leon’s QEM Triathlon in Hammond, Ind… Was the first junior and fourth overall at the Wendy’s Triathlon in Columbus, Ohio… Named an All-American by Inside Triathlon… In 1992, won the junior division at the USAT National Amateur Championship in Cleveland… was 68th at the ITU World Triathlon Championship in Huntsville, Canada… From 1986-90, won five consecutive IronKids Triathlon National Championship titles from the age of 10-14.

Athletic Background: Began swimming competitively at age 6… Swam for Parnell Barracudas Club team in Orlando, Fla… Was introduced to triathlon at age 10 by friends on his swim team… Ran cross country and track in college to improve his running in triathlons… Sent an inquiry letter to the Wake Forest cross country and track programs and received a letter from the coaches along with a women’s media guide… His non-gender specific name and relatively slow times caused the coaches to assume he was a female… Before college running was his weakest discipline… Took 1994 and 1995 off from triathlon to concentrate on his running… Decided to return to the sport in 1996 because it was his last chance to race as a junior at a World Championship (Cleveland, Ohio)… Four-year letter winner in cross country and track at Wake Forest University… As a senior, was second in the 10,000 meters at the 1998 ACC Outdoor Track Championship (30:46) and ninth as a junior in 1997… His 10K personal best is 30:17… Was eighth at the 1998 ACC Indoor Track Championship… Was the 1996 Florida Cycling Time-Trial Amateur Champion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the info is here.

http://www.hunterkemper.com/index.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i remember reading about one of his track workouts being something like 20x400 at some ridiculous pace(something like 70 seconds then descending every set of 5 with finishing on something like 61). that pains me to think about it...

given the style of his racing(itu, draft legal), i'd bet he does a lot of high intensity training, especially for the swim and run legs...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Training Regimen of Hunter Kemper? [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's a nice bio but it needs to be updated. He ran a completely filthy 29:15 at the Pan American Triathlon Championships in Acapulco last month.

He's got a good shot at gold this summer if he can perform like that.

29:15 is just sick, sick, sick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George Dallam is coaching Hunter. I have had the opportunity to participate in a few studies that George has run at the USOTC. I have a lot of respect for George and I can tell you he is one heck of a guy.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Regimen of Hunter Kemper? [YabYum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That course was definitely short... Hunter is running well, but not that well.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Training Regimen of Hunter Kemper? [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that thought did occur to me but I figured with a fluffy title like Pan American Triathlon Championships they could get the measurements right.

Anyhow, he does appear to have a decent shot at winning in Athens.

The course there might not quite be regulation either as the run course will probably be 5 laps around a construction zone.

Does Giro make a hard hat?
Quote Reply