Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Plans for 70.3 + Strength Training
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a well written out plan (paid or free) to train for a 70.3 that includes weightlifting sessions as well that spans at least 6 months (longer would be preferable so I don't have to overthink my offseason too much).
Haven't really found what I'm looking for on TrainingPeaks.
I've thought about paying for a hybrid coach that has experience themselves in training for 70.3s and 140.6 and strength train as well but it's a fairly expensive option.
I still may go that route but wanted to take a look at some already established plans that people have used to see if I think they're comprehensive enough for me
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plans for 70.3 + Strength Training [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sup with all these weight lifting threads recently? The issue with strength training in a template plan is that it usually is a supplement to address personal weaknesses that can't be easily addressed otherwise. Do you have a history of weightlifting and are starting endurance sport, or do you have a history of endurance sport but never touched a weight? The plans for those two would be pretty different.

I would think about what weaknesses you're trying to address and follow a simple progressive overload plan. 2 lifting sessions/wk with around 3 sets of 5 exercises is plenty for IM/70.3. Squats, deadlifts, OHP, pull up, and a core exercise would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plans for 70.3 + Strength Training [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Sup with all these weight lifting threads recently? The issue with strength training in a template plan is that it usually is a supplement to address personal weaknesses that can't be easily addressed otherwise. Do you have a history of weightlifting and are starting endurance sport, or do you have a history of endurance sport but never touched a weight? The plans for those two would be pretty different.

I would think about what weaknesses you're trying to address and follow a simple progressive overload plan. 2 lifting sessions/wk with around 3 sets of 5 exercises is plenty for IM/70.3. Squats, deadlifts, OHP, pull up, and a core exercise would be great.

I'm starting physical therapy next week to identify weaknesses/imbalances in my body to heal and prevent injuries.

Regarding my desire to strength train, I can't speak for everybody but I'm interested in developing a more muscular/toned body (not in a bulky way, but rather athletic/fit look) but also love the process of training for triathlons. So I would like to find a way to satisfy both goals.

I tried to do something on my own last year, where I was doing a strength training session MWF afternoons, after having swam in the morning. This lead to running and cycling on Tu, Thurs, and one or the other on Saturdays.

I don't think it was the optimal way to go about things so I'm looking for a plan that was created by a professional/somebody that truly knows what they're doing so I don't waste another year doing it my way, which, is based on not much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you recognize that bulking up and doing tri's are detrimental to each other.

A professional making a training plan is going to either optimize the plan for the individual or create a basic plan that sells to a lot of people (read: is more entertaining than effective). If you're not trying to optimize then you can pretty much write out a basic plan for yourself. The best plan might be doing a 10h/wk tri plan overlaid with any gymbro weightlifting plan. Should be like 15ish h/w.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plans for 70.3 + Strength Training [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:

Maybe all these people asking this question are older????? In older endurance athletes' strength training is more important than in younger athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're probably going to have to pick one priority over another. Very few people can train well for a 70.3, or any triathlon, and develop a more muscular physique at the same time. Building muscle takes a lot of energy. So does endurance training. Your body can only do so much at once.

If your main goal is to get better at 70.3, I would stick to strength training 2x/week with basic compound lifts. Squats, DL, presses, pull ups, and core work. A lot of endurance athletes have weak posterior chains so movements as mentioned would help strengthen that weak link.

If your primary goal is to build a better physique, I'd tone down your endurance goals and hit the weights 4x/week and build your triathlon schedule around that. I'd probably limit endurance work to LSD to give your body the opportunity to recover from taxing weight training schedule. Maybe take a season or two and do minimal tri training, or train for shorter races, just enough to scratch the itch, and focus on weight training.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Scientific Triathlon. They have a good, generic, plan based in science. They have a big list of recommended exercises & a sample schedule. You can pick/choose what you want to do in a session. Twice/week is enough to make some gains. If you don't have a weight lifting base, it starts with 3 weeks of getting back into it with high reps/low weight. 3 x 12 reps/10 reps/8 reps w./ low weight the 1st 3 weeks. Then they recommend doing 3-6 reps @ 80-90% 1RM. It's very similar to what Joe Skipper looks to be doing. Taper off/enter into maintenance mode when you get close to a race. The maintenance stuff is pretty straightforward -- even just 1x/week is enough. You can drop to 2 sets too.
Quote Reply