Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training/Recovery While Racing Frequently
Quote | Reply
I usually don't race more than about once a month max. This works for me as I like to recover and get in another block of training before the next race. I don't ever use a race as a "catered training day" and push very hard.

My question is what would the experts recommend in terms of recovery and training during the following schedule:

8/18- Sprint
8/24- 5k Obstacle Course (this is with a group so should be easy aerobically but I do plan on some aches and pains afterwards)
8/31- Century Ride (I will ride with a paceline attempting to break 4 hours so very hard effort)
9/7- Oly
9/29- HIM

I am planning on reduced volume and intensity as I recover from each race... hopefully enough to flush out the soreness by the next weekend. I realize I may not be at 100% for every one, but i'll be happy at 95%. Is this doable or am I biting off more than I can chew? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Recovery While Racing Frequently [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all whether you want to classify it this way or not, every race is still a workout in that it induces stress on your body and when you recover from that you get in better shape. You don't need to taper and fully recovery to 100% after each race. Probably a 1-2 day taper for each and 1-2 day lighter load after each is plenty. Racing frequently is not only a great way to get in better shape, but to also hone your execution game before your "A" event. There are a zillion things that happen when you put the timing chip on that you simply cannot replicate in training! For this reason, I am generally racing 2x per month. It's also more fun than achieving the same exercise stress load through training solo.
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Recovery While Racing Frequently [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point on the training stress, and thanks for the advice.

Specific to the century... I wouldn't attempt a race 1 week after a HIM but I think it's the run that really wears me out. Will a 4 hour hard effort on the bike leave me in a bad position for the oly the following weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Recovery While Racing Frequently [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on how well trained you are for the HIM and the centrury. Personally, my HIM this weekend was my "A" race and I pretty much destroyed myself and left it ALL out on the road on the run. I gingerly swam (could barely push off the walls) on Monday. I babied a 23 mile road bike ride yesterday and was able to run 5 miles easy this morning, but my quads are still sore and probably will be another 2 days before I can get back into some harder efforts before my last race in 10 days.

Would I want to do a fast Century this weekend? Not really, but I think it could be possible if I was doing a lot of longer rides this summer and trained for it. I don't think you'd be 100%.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply