Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainers and Tires
Quote | Reply
My trainer is pealing layers off my rear tire. Is this normal or should I be concerned? It is leaving little pieces of rubber on the floor after I'm done. If I loosen increase the space between the tire and trainer the tire slips. Perhaps I should use a lower tension setting on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and Tires [Dan in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hear about this happening to people all the time but my self - I have never encountered it.

I always use a very low priced tire on my rear wheel with the trainer - seems to work - but the trainer does wear the tire down much faster than road ridding

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My trainer just polishes the center of my rear tire to a nice high gloss. Plus some little bits get left on the floor. That's just part of the experience I think.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental makes a tire specifically for the trainer. Check it out here: http://www.glorycycles.com/coulsphotrti.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I loosen increase the space between the tire and trainer the tire slips. Perhaps I should use a lower tension setting on the trainer?

Shreading of the tread is caused by heat buildup due to the tire slipping on the trainer. It might just be a little but over the course of 45 minutes or an hour, it will get the tire hot enough to really soften up the rubber.

So, if you lower the tension on the tire thinking it will reduce the wear, you're actually making the problem worse. Tightened up on the adjuster knob about 2 full turns more than you think is necessary; put a serious dent into the tire. I used to go through a tire every 8 weeks. Now I'm on my second season on the same tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pump your tire up to normal pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You tire is slipping. Normal trainer riding shouldn't do this and the tire will last a decent amount of time. It is not all that unusual for it to be difficult to get the right tension on the wheel to tire. Almost impossible to not have it slip a little on hard pushing a really big gear, but you should be able to get it right with some fiddling. That squeak-squeak is the indicator. Sometimes the tension screw backs off.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and Tires [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use one tire for the trainer and another for the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and Tires [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't. I use one for training (trainer and road) and one for racing.

Michelin Pro's (what I use for racing) make terrible trainer tires.

Something like a Specialized Armadillo makes a great trainer tire and is very puncture resistant for training on the road.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the tire inflated properly and tighten the tension knob until you can't force the tire to slip by jerking it.

I had to get mine really tight before it quit chewing up the tire. If you let it continue it will eat right through it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and Tires [thomps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect timing on this thread....I just blew/shredded a rear tire after about 10 miles on the Computrainer. I have to admit, the tire lasted much longer than they have in the past before I started using a Computrainer - this one lasted about 6 months, so I can't complain. Thanks for the link - now, to go find a spare before the little one is done napping and I have no chance for a workout today. :) ~Kelly
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and Tires [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use one tire for the trainer and another for the road?

Actually I have a seperate wheel and tire I use on the trainer. I do find that the cheaper the tire, the longer it lasts on the trainer. Cheap rubber is hard rubber I guess.

I had a rear wheel laying around from an old bike but you can get a cheap no-name one new for less than $75. You have to buy a 2nd cassette too but the whole package is still only about the cost of 3 good road tires so it will pay for itself eventually.
Quote Reply