Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trainerroad price increase
Quote | Reply
I'm not a current subscriber, but used TR in the past. So, I've received a few emails with the opportunity to rejoin at the current rate (before the increase). I did search here for some discussion of this without success. Did I miss comments on this somewhere? I really like TR - the podcast is terrific and they continue to advance the platform in what seem to be useful ways. But I worry about cost escalation. Zwift 1st, then the Wahoo purchase of Sufferfest, now a significant price increase from TR. As the market consolidates, perhaps we will experience strongly increasing prices? Maybe TR is trying to boost revenue to justify a bigger sale price?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is the price increase taking effect and do you know by how much? Today I see pricing at $15/mo or $129/yr. I am not a current user but was planning on signing up over the winter, so wondering if now would make more sense, or do they typically have promotional pricing over the holidays...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's another $5 a month. Given the ridiculous things we spend money on in triathlon, is this really something to worry about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price change announced about a year ago: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...to-raise-prices.html

I do not remember a discussion here, but it may be buried somewhere in the standing Trainerroad thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [Jimmw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They actually had already increased the price, but didn't give a heads up beforehand this time like they did in the past. After getting negative feedback about that and realizing their error they have given you a week to lock in the old price if you want.

And I'm torn on the price increase. On one hand it sucks all of these services are going up in price so quickly, but on the other hand they have to grow or die. In TR's case, they've been transparent that the price increase is merely to hire more engineers and product managers. Basically to make the product better over time. I can understand that.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Price change announced about a year ago: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...to-raise-prices.html

I do not remember a discussion here, but it may be buried somewhere in the standing Trainerroad thread.

DC Rainmaker pointed out this is their second price increase this year. It’s going to $19.95/mo. for noobs.

That thread was about the first increase.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Jul 31, 19 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
DC Rainmaker pointed out this is their second price increase this year. It’s going to $19.95/mo. for noobs.
Aaaah. I missed that announcement. Yeah, $20/month is a chunk of change.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, another way to look at it - a 33% increase from $15/mo to $20/mo. Annual price will be $190/yr. To the poster who was considering waiting - I think that today is the last day for old pricing (31 July 2019). I'm not saying that the $5/mo is a killer or that it's not justified - I just don't know. Market consolidation and multiple price increases reinforce each other...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They mentioned it on this week's podcast.

Here's the link in the forum:

https://forum.trainerroad.com/...g-for-one-week/18664

I've been with TR for a few years. It's by far the cheapest Watts/dollar return i've come across.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
It's another $5 a month. Given the ridiculous things we spend money on in triathlon, is this really something to worry about?
Yes, it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope this won't affect us in the UK even harder.
$15 is US, in the UK I pay £10.60 (at current exchange rate about $12.25, but a year ago probably closer to $15).
If they switch to $19.95 at current excange rate it would mean a raise to about £16.30, or ~60% increase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They now have outside versions of each workout that you can push to your Garmin head unit. It is really a year round program now so there is more value and they have the calendar feature to plan your workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a huge thread on the TR forum about this price increase. Nate Pearson made a bunch of comments throughout. Thread is now closed.

I had been wondering how long till a slowtwitch thread popped up about this. Now I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Timtek wrote:

I guess you will have to sacrifice 1 cup of Starbucks coffee a month to justify the increase then. Smh
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Timtek wrote:

I guess you will have to sacrifice 1 cup of Starbucks coffee a month to justify the increase then. Smh

^^^ So true! Given the results they give I can't see how anyone could even think twice about an increase when it's still such a low amount. Yes, I am grandfathered in at the original rate and have been a VERY happy user since the inception. Between TR and a smart trainer, nothing in the sport has delivered more positive results. Even at $20/month anyone would be hard pressed to get more bang per buck.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [450res] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
450res wrote:
They now have outside versions of each workout that you can push to your Garmin head unit. It is really a year round program now so there is more value and they have the calendar feature to plan your workouts.

Yeah, they fumbled the communication phase of the most recent price increase (although they did recover), but they've recently added a lot of functionality that, IMHO, justifies an increase.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 31, 19 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

Yes, it is.

If another $5 a month is an issue for you, then this isn't the sport for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

Yes, it is.

Don't be an ass!
It's not an issue of affordability, there's a bigger picture. If you can't understand that, this isn't the conversation for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree...i'm totally fine with the price hike. TR has made enough improvements over the past year for me to justify the increase. if i think about all the nonsense stuff i have purchased for triathlon and if that has done anything for me to get me better, it's a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

Yes, it is.

Don't be an ass!
It's not an issue of affordability, there's a bigger picture. If you can't understand that, this isn't the conversation for you.

Wow. You think I'm being an ass because I'm pointing out that it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things? That's an....uhhh...interesting take on things.

It costs more. That's what happens to services and goods over time. What exactly is "the bigger picture" that's so concerning?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad price increase [450res] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there value in the outdoor feature if you don't have a powermeter? ...do you need actual power readings for the workouts to be useful uploaded in TR, or does lack of power for outdoor rides negate the value of this feature? I have power with my trainer, which is why I was waiting for colder weather, when I do nearly all riding indoors, to sign up. Don't have a PM for my bike when riding out doors though, so am questioning whether it's worth using TR if I'm only doing 1 or 2 rides a week that will be compatible with TR for roughly two thirds of the year.

EDIT: I found they do include RPE descriptions in outdoor rides for people without powermeters, so have my answer.
Last edited by: Jimmw: Jul 31, 19 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

Yes, it is.

Don't be an ass!

Wow. You think I'm being an ass because I'm pointing out that it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things? That's an....uhhh...interesting take on things.

It costs more. That's what happens to services and goods over time. What exactly is "the bigger picture" that's so concerning?

Agreed and TR is well worth it. Hmmmmm, which would make you faster, TrainerRoad or 2 more gels a month? No brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they are continuing to work on their calendar and swim and run stuff so that they can be an alternative to TrainingPeaks or Today’s Plan. So if you pay for one of those you could drop that and use TrainerRoad for both indoor cycling and general training logging

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another price increase and yet they still can't synch your runs or swims into the TSS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But I worry about cost escalation.

I am pretty sure trainer road doesnt increase your pricing. I.E. whatever price you started with is the price you pay, as long as your membership is still active.

I think I am still paying my 2015 rate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next