Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer Recommendation
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a trainer. I don't care about watts, speed, cadence. All I want is that it provides enough resistance to do low cadence workouts, without having the wheel slipping.
Cheap would be great.

Recommendation anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Recommendation [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have three suggestions.

1. Angry Badger from Bike Sport Michigan
2. Don't even consider another trainer
3. Ride it frequent and long, enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A low tech trainer??? HERESY!!! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the other thread regarding the new CycleOps Pro Trainers.

I'd recommend taking a look at their SuperMagneto Pro. It allows you to get in a low cadence type workout with the hill climb setting. I like it better than my Fluid 2 that I had.

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many of the less expensive mag units ($150-200) will be fine for this use. And this being January, shops are looking to dump entry level Minouras, Forzas, etc. for 20-40% off. But if you do want a fluid unit, and like the Kinetic, you might check with your local dealer. Several distributors are dumping these units and they can be found for $225, which is more or less the pricing from Bikesport Michigan.

--
TATI Cycles
Chicago, IL
Last edited by: tati: Jan 11, 09 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for six years. The steel retaining bolt finally gave way and broke today. The rest of the unit doesn't look a day old. It's fantastic, and rides like new. As far as its fluidity/resistance, I find it perfect for both high-cadence and low-cadence workouts. No wheel slip. I got it over the CycleOps because the Kurt Kinetic has a magnetic coupling that prevents leakage of the liquid resistance module. If it ever breaks, I'll definitely stay with Kurt. I just need to replace one little bold, and it should be good for another six years.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a CycleOps Fluid II and a Kinetic Road machine that I picked up used. I prefer the Road Machine. More rugged base, I like the system used to attach the bike to the trainer, and the resistance curve feels more realistic.

Both are good, but I would recommend the Road Machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don King?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many gear inches, how much wattage, and how low cadence-wise?

I had a tough time finding a trainer I could get enough resistance out of to do the workouts I wanted to do on my Cross bike this winter. 46x11 wasn't a high enough wattage at the pedal velocity I wanted to use...

PM/email me; I have a couple of trainers I don't need, and one of 'em might work for you if the numbers are right...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Recommendation [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update on my Kurt. I notified them of my broken bolt (which was a perfectly understandable breakdown after 6 years). They shipped me one out the same day, free of charge. Very classy customer service.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Recommendation [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mushrooms, MUSHROOOOOOMS!!!!!!!

Quote | Reply
check the local gyms and spin clubs and see if any are selling off their old spin bikes. or check for a refurbished one in your area. set it up to match your bike.
cheaper in the long run and much easier to deal with.

Quote | Reply
Cycelops Jet Fluid Pro

You can get 15% off your order and free freight at WorldTri.com

Michael Nyberg
WorldTri.com

Disclosure: I operate an online retail store.
Quote Reply