Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Train with heavy bike
Quote | Reply
So, as I am planning for next year I was wondering how I could improve all my speed. I know the debate about weight will rage forever, but it got me thinking. Should I ride a heavier bike for training and only race on my lighter bike...will I notice a difference in speed by moving from a heavier (5 pounds or so) training bike to a more aero and lighter bike? I also know that there is a big argument that you should ride what you plan on racing so your body can get used to the feel, but take that out of the equation and just assume that this is a non-issue..would this help?
Quote Reply
Re: Train with heavy bike [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could just pedal harder.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I doubt you could even tell the difference between five pounds in weight. I tested it once out of curiosity and did two 10K runs at the same power, one with five extra pounds. I was two seconds faster, but frankly anything less than five seconds falls into my road noise or small wind variations.

This is the same argument people use to only race in light shoes. They "feel" faster. I'm sure they are faster, but running in light shoes in training won't make you slower in a race. In fact, you might run faster because you are more accustomed to your shoes.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only way that this is advantageous is if you manage to make a really heavy, slow bike (slow tires, lots of drag, weight etc) then you won't stop as often for stoplights and such for a given wattage.

OR if you ride with a girlfriend and you are way faster than her

if your training routes are no afflicted with these, theres just no point. 300 watts is 300 watts

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Train with heavy bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the only way that this is advantageous is if you manage to make a really heavy, slow bike (slow tires, lots of drag, weight etc) then you won't stop as often for stoplights and such for a given wattage.

Woah, I never thought of this. I need to build a custom bike with car tires - it would work wonders for my training efficiency.

If you have some hill climbs that you want to make longer for training, weight could help a little there. Not much

OP: the only thing that affects your cycling speed during training is watts. Your speed is completely irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Train with heavy bike [Andrew V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you get yourself some super puncture resistant commuter tires (with some substanial tread patterns) and inflat them a bit off, youd be AMAZED at the power drain, lol

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply