Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
cartsman wrote:
Porte and Thomas would be team leaders themselves if they were at another team,

Porte, maybe. You're reaching on Thomas. He might be a leader on a classics race, not on a Grand Tour. As for you comment on Valverde: the winner always gets more scrutiny. Absolutely no one is going to go to the mat defending Valverde as clean.

Porte has had this shots at being a leader for a grand tour....he folds like a pop tent in a hurricane every time.

GT's just ain't his bag....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously though how the heck does Froome keep such a cadence for soooo long? Holy smokes call me crazy, but that was an exciting stage!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigringonly wrote:
....do you look at the elevation chart and say...."Dat ain't no mountain!....I run up sh!t bigger than that?!?!"

Hahaha, after my bonk experience at Worlds, I think I only have the authority to say I walk up sh!t bigger than that :)

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WADA be like

Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Seriously though how the heck does Froome keep such a cadence for soooo long?

See post #64

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sky's recovery day protocol is something special. I mean, every rider had a bad day but two Sky guys. Remarkable.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thought of watching Froome convulse his way up every mountain stage from here to Paris is enough to makes sleeping in a good option.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 14, 15 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has to be the most miserable looking rider ever. Can't stand watching him ride, regardless of his natural (or injected) talent.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Jewbaru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's to hoping for an ill timed mechanical on a mountain stage
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the Tour is now over, well it was a fun week. Looking forward to 2016
Last edited by: 4Ring: Jul 14, 15 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4Ring wrote:
And the Tour is now over, well it was a fun week. Looking forward to 2016

Well...at least the points competition is green hot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
This is what annoys me to no end....the key to getting a close race is not to make a hard course, but one where you keep more riders in the mix.

Have the first day after the rest day be a mid-mountain stage w/o a summit finish. Have the first summit finish to be a less challenging summit so the race doesn't blow apart. Work your way up to a MF'er stage.

I'm not advocating this in order to make the race easier, I am saying this to make the race more compelling over the 3 week period. Now we are just looking to see who falters "worse" and drops out of podium contention. No one is gonna attack now and will ride defensively. (OK, maybe AC or Quintana will attack, but AC is more likely to go further back before he can go forward).

In the grand scheme of things that would be just about as boring. It would only be a matter of reversing the boredom and excitement. In that scenario, nothing would happen until the epic day. Everyone would ride defensively conserving to the end. So it'd be two weeks of boring with one epic day. This year we got the epic day out of the way early and are now on to the boring. I guess in your scenario there'd have been more build up and anticpation.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [frrome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, since its down to podium picking, i want Gallopin and Gesink. Gallopin has been pretty stoudt all week and Gesink put up a fight today.
and Teejay too, he just doesn't quite have it.

1 Froome
2 Teejay.. 02' 52''
3 Quintana 03' 09''
4 Valverde 04' 01''
5 Thomas ..04' 03''
6 Contador 04' 04''
7 Gallopin 04' 33''
8 Gesink.. 04' 35''
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Jul 14, 15 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Power13 wrote:

This is what annoys me to no end....the key to getting a close race is not to make a hard course, but one where you keep more riders in the mix.

Have the first day after the rest day be a mid-mountain stage w/o a summit finish. Have the first summit finish to be a less challenging summit so the race doesn't blow apart. Work your way up to a MF'er stage.

I'm not advocating this in order to make the race easier, I am saying this to make the race more compelling over the 3 week period. Now we are just looking to see who falters "worse" and drops out of podium contention. No one is gonna attack now and will ride defensively. (OK, maybe AC or Quintana will attack, but AC is more likely to go further back before he can go forward).

In the grand scheme of things that would be just about as boring. It would only be a matter of reversing the boredom and excitement. In that scenario, nothing would happen until the epic day. Everyone would ride defensively conserving to the end. So it'd be two weeks of boring with one epic day. This year we got the epic day out of the way early and are now on to the boring. I guess in your scenario there'd have been more build up and anticpation.

Go back and look at some of Vueltas from the 90's where they had shorter stages with smaller mountains, etc. Racing was exciting and dynamic....

You actually have MORE riders attacking because the stages are not as brutally hard and more people are in with a shout.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally picked the wrong Yates twin for my velogames team....

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Go back and look at some of Vueltas from the 90's where they had shorter stages with smaller mountains, etc. Racing was exciting and dynamic....

You actually have MORE riders attacking because the stages are not as brutally hard and more people are in with a shout.

You also had every team using "high octane" doping so that attacks and recovering from those attacks were possible.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Power13 wrote:

You also had every team using "high octane" doping so that attacks and recovering from those attacks were possible.

FFS, go watch any race down to a Cat. V race. Less selective courses makes for more animated racing....more selective courses only ensure the stronger riders win by more time. This ain't rocket science....

Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe what I've just seen, they're not even trying to hide it...
On another note did anyone see in the leaked Froome Ventoux data how little his HR increased during massive attacks (Mech doping?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny how everyone focuses their doping jokes on Froome today. Up till recently it was Astana. With 8k to go you could make an argument that Movistar was the dopers as they shredded the field.

/whatever
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious question - what doping could produce this level of performance yet remain undetected? Is there a plausible doping program or are we just using the term in general?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we know micro-dosing can go undetected

we don't know what we don't know - so its not beyond the realm of possibility that there are means of doping without being detected, or what, if any, new products might be used to accomplish that
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FFS, go watch any race down to a Cat. V race. Less selective courses makes for more animated racing....more selective courses only ensure the stronger riders win by more time. This ain't rocket science....

Indeed!

The bad news ( or good news depending on your view) is that the race for the Yellow jersey is over. Barring disaster, Froome has it! The good news is that it does look to be a possibly tight and intriguing race for the other two spots on the podium with just 3 minutes separating 2nd through 10th place on GC!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but Movistar fell off after those efforts, which Sky covered. And the fact that Porte set up Froome's move, and then recovered to finish 2nd, is hard to overlook.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Stage 10 Thread - first mountain of the Tour. [Armstronium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Armstronium wrote:
I totally picked the wrong Yates twin for my velogames team....

Quote Reply

Prev Next