Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that)
Quote | Reply
Did I completely miss this? The German Tour magazine did a big wind tunnel test with most of the new disc aero road bikes and compared them to the rim brake predecessors. Basically only the new Cannondale is reasonably fast in comparison to the rim brake models and the weight difference doesn't favor these bikes either.

I saw the results in the thread at Weight Weenies.

I can't actually find the thread, but I did find the some additional test results that include the Pinarello F10

https://www.tour-magazin.de/...eichtbau/a45739.html
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Jan 9, 19 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I missing something? I do not see comparisons of a disc brake bike with it's rim-brake predecessor... They are totally different models. And I do not see any Cannondales. Is the link correct? This just shows that aero bikes are almost always faster than light bikes.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jan 9, 19 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the thread https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...php?f=3&t=154692

There are only screenshots of the article which appears to be in German. One of the posts summarizes the results...

All tested at 45kph:

2019 Cannondale SystemSix Disc - 203w
2016 Trek Madone - 204w
2016 Specialized Venge ViAS - 204w
2016 Cervelo S5 - 205w
2016 Felt AR FRD - 205w
2019 Cervelo S5 Disc - 206w
2016 Canyon Aeroad - 208w
2019 Specialized Venge Disc - 208w
2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL - 210w
2016 Scott Foil Premium - 211w
2016 BMC Time Machine - 211w
2016 Look 795 - 212w
2019 Trek Madone Disc - 212w
2019 Ridley Noah Fast Disc - 213w

I've had my eye on a SystemSix since they were released, such a beautiful bike. This pretty much seals it for me when the time comes to upgrade the roadie!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An ultegra di2 system six is $10k in Canada.
Uggh.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That link is to last years test. I've been checking the Tour site regularly in the hope they'll post the drag curves for the Jan 2019 test too. Tour are good at collecting data and no good at analysing it.

The data that GD28 posted is from the latest test

2016 Trek Madone - 204w

2016 Cervelo S5 - 205w

So Cervelo went to all that effort with the S5 bars just to compensate for losses elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, 8 watt loss for the Trek. Where's BryanD??

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right here and still laughing at you people holding on to rim brakes. A bike is a system of parts, not everything is about aero.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting reading and responses from people.

Yes there are many pages on the weight weenie forum on this, should I cut and paste them all here? (sarc).

I concluded buy the bike that motivates you the most to go ride, within your budget and have fun.

It would be nice to try 3-4 of the top ranked to see which one rides the best for you.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Right here and still laughing at you people holding on to rim brakes. A bike is a system of parts, not everything is about aero.

That is certainly true, but I do not know if it is relevant to the discussion...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care if it's relevant.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

You're right...they're significantly heavier too ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 9, 19 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering when you and the rim brake mafia would come back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add that when you have two bikes, one disc, and one not.. the differences in braking power and modulation are jarring when you switch between them.

Also, framesets are not the whole package. Rim shapes can be made more aero without a brake track, and tire size options more most road/TT bikes can now go up to 30C on a lot of disc bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't it the color of a bike that makes the difference in a journal ??

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I will add that when you have two bikes, one disc, and one not.. the differences in braking power and modulation are jarring when you switch between them.

...you're doing the "and one not" wrong then.

NordicSkier wrote:
Rim shapes can be made more aero without a brake track

...wishful speculation that hasn't been shown to be true in practice

NordicSkier wrote:
and tire size options more most road/TT bikes can now go up to 30C on a lot of disc bikes.

Huh...I wonder how my bike with rim brakes can fit tires measuring 30mm?...oh yeah, that's not a brake technology issue actually, it's a frame and caliper configuration issue :-/

Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
That link is to last years test. I've been checking the Tour site regularly in the hope they'll post the drag curves for the Jan 2019 test too. Tour are good at collecting data and no good at analysing it.

The data that GD28 posted is from the latest test

2016 Trek Madone - 204w

2016 Cervelo S5 - 205w

So Cervelo went to all that effort with the S5 bars just to compensate for losses elsewhere.

I think the really odd thing is Trek making design decisions that basically "detuned" their latest rim brake Madone to make it slower than their previous version...seemingly just so it wouldn't be faster than their disc Madone :-/

Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Also, framesets are not the whole package. Rim shapes can be made more aero without a brake track, and tire size options more most road/TT bikes can now go up to 30C on a lot of disc bikes.

It's not worth saying anything else in this thread. It will just turn into the rants of one man against an industry.

Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allrighty then, I'll be filing down my chainstays tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A isn't the only one to pass on disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Tom A isn't the only one to pass on disc brakes.

To be fair, I don't "pass" on them in all applications...just inappropriate/redundant ones ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
...you're doing the "and one not" wrong then.

I think it seems reasonable that a bike without brakes would be more difficult to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello BryanD and All,

Reliability counts too:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...-brake-vs-rim-brake/

Reliability

There is a nice simplicity to a traditional cable-actuated rim caliper though that will rarely let you down in terms of reliability, whilst disc brakes do also score well in this too it is fair to say that when it does go wrong it will not generally be more straightforward or particularly cheap to put right. I should also mention that contracting your brake lever with a wheel not present in your bike will also not be the end of the world with your trusty rim caliper! However, disc brake caliper spacers are provided to avoid such issues.
Rim brake 1-0

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

I disagree. I switch between three different bikes (ultegra disc, ultegra rim and record rim) and I really can't tell a difference between the two ultegra bikes. I feel a difference in modulation with the record brakes though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Aero Bike Article. Tom A was right (imagine that) [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello BryanD and All,

Reliability counts too:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...-brake-vs-rim-brake/

Reliability

There is a nice simplicity to a traditional cable-actuated rim caliper though that will rarely let you down in terms of reliability, whilst disc brakes do also score well in this too it is fair to say that when it does go wrong it will not generally be more straightforward or particularly cheap to put right. I should also mention that contracting your brake lever with a wheel not present in your bike will also not be the end of the world with your trusty rim caliper! However, disc brake caliper spacers are provided to avoid such issues.
Rim brake 1-0

Single speed is more aero and much more reliable too. Stupid bikes with derailleurs. Single speed 1-0.

I've broken chains before.. maybe I should just get a penny farthing for the ultimate in reliability?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Depends on the particular system and the conditions. In my experience, a good rim setup is pretty similar to a good disc setup in the dry.

Quote:
and tire size options more most road/TT bikes can now go up to 30C on a lot of disc bikes.
That's incidental, and doesn't have much to do with the core tech. Before the narrow tire fad that kicked in hard during the late 1980s, it was pretty normal for road bikes to comfortably fit >30mm tires. Some of the old dual-pivot centerpull calipers could easily fit >40mm tires with full-length fenders, and of course with brakes that mount on canti posts the sky is the limit.

My gravel bike is current running 53mm tires and full-length fenders, under some cheap rim brakes that weigh about the same as 105 calipers, which are very powerful, and which modulate extremely well when fitted with S70C pads. (They're currently fitted with Kool Stop Salmon pads to wear slower in the wet, and these are a bit grabby in this setup.)

NordicSkier wrote:
Allrighty then, I'll be filing down my chainstays tonight.
If the chainstays are the limiting factor, what does this have to do with rim versus disc?
Quote Reply

Prev Next