Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Total Immersion video drills?
Quote | Reply
Watched the video for the first time last night and tried the first few drills this morning. I really sucked. Took me awhile to even get the first three drills down, still not great at them, but I did feel my stroke felt a little better even after this brief introduction.

Would appreciate hearing any comments from any of you that have used the Total Immersion program. Does it work?
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion video drills? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew how to swim 4 yaears ago but when I signed up for the Bay Swim I figured I'd better learn how to swim correctly.

Got the total immersion materials and taught myself.

I've since won a handful of open water swim age group awards and a few top tens too.

Worked very well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the book about a year ago after a 12 year hiatus from swimming. Read the whole book twice in order to convince myself that it would work. For three months I worked religiously through the drills swimming 3 to 4 times a week on my own. I also had a few sessions of group coaching with video analysis, through Triscience in Kingston, which was very helpful in allowing me to picture what my body was actually doing (and to correct the drills accordingly). At the end of it all, I had a nice smooth stroke and could swim 1500 metres without killing myself. This left me in the top third after the swim in my first full season of tris. Not fast but not embarrassing.

The fixed TI drills have now mostly disappeared as I try to get faster over the winter through more volume and repeated sets of 50s and 100s. I think TI was extremely helpful as a foundation but once you plateau I think you have to blend in more traditional swim training to see further improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion video drills? [Catbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Triscience in Kingston"

I've met those two guys. Will have to check them out some time for their professional services.

I have an u/w video camera/housing from scuba diving. In fact I've videoed all the wrecks in the Kingston area, but should bring it to the pool a bit more often. I'm sure we could learn a lot by watching everything that we're doing wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The triscience guys had the camera monitor set up on a cart which they pushed along the side of the pool, the lens underwater keeping pace with your swimming. It would be interesting to see if you could rig up something similar with your underwater camera housing. Maybe someone else on the forum has tried this or has another solution for a moving side shot.

We also swam directly towards the camera set up at the end of the lane. That angle helped to show any crossover and what your streamlining was like. If you have an empty pool and a scuba diving friend it would be interesting to see your stroke from directly underneath (or is that just latent narcissism?).
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion video drills? [Catbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just put on a scuba tank and swim along side. My video housing lens has a very wide angle. Taking a shot from directly below also would likely be useful.
Quote Reply