Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Total Immersion Swimming Question
Quote | Reply
Total Immersion program. Yes or no and why? I have considered signing up for a weekend program. Will it help me become a more efficient and better swimmer?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion Swimming Question [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TI is a good place to start if you have no swimming background. I did the drills on my own and then started going to a masters class, which I think worked really well. It's great for teaching you balance and how to feel comfortable in the water, but I think the biggest problem with TI is that people tend to never move past it, which I believe is necessary to get faster in the water. Furthermore, the TI principles are simply good swimming principles - they don't teach you anything a decent coach wouldn't, they have just packaged it and marketed it very well.

Personally, I'd suggest doing the drills on your own and using the money you'd spend on a weekend camp to get a personal swimming coach for a handful of workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much is the program, and how much money is that to you?

I paid around $54 for the book and DVD and it is helping me. I can swim for an hour, in a 25 yard pool, with an up and back time of about 1 minute for each 50 yard lap. It took me about 25 strokes for each length. I just started TI and can now do a length in 16-17 strokes. The time is the same or a little better. I think it was worth it, and $54 is not money I can throw away lightly.

I would like to take the class, just to have someone look at me and to ask a real person questions. I don't know how much I'd be willing to pay for it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're a decentt swimmer, I recommend trying some of the drills, first. hen go get some one on one sessions with a TI coach. Where are you located?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good, but results in a very expensive weekend that could buy you lots of one on one coaching somewhere else
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion Swimming Question [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Docfuel,

In response to where am I located, I live in Port Charlotte, Florida.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion Swimming Question [Hack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, but results in a very expensive weekend that could buy you lots of one on one coaching somewhere else

Good point Hack! The cost of the TI weekend program alone is around $450 plus travel and lodging expenses. I found a coach that would charge me $50 an hour so the money spent on TI would buy me around 11 or 12 one on one sessions. I think I'll pass on the TI weekend and go for the individual coaching. Thanks!

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with that. I think that, for poor swimmers the weekend is a good thing, but for others, the individual deal, or possibly a shared lesson with one or two others of similar ability is better. that's what I did and it has been good. I plan to go back for 1 or 2 more this winter. (It's more than $50/hr. here in So Cal.)

Once you have good balance, stroke, rotation, etc., (weeks into it) work on the hand catch and high elbow and using the hips to power the pull. Incorporate that into some of your stroking drills and intervals.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A poor swimmer with no swimming background whatsoever, I did the weekend TI camp 2 years ago and was thoroughly disappointed. Too many people per instructor, no "take home" materials/drills to reinforce the concepts. Net result, no measurable gain in speed/stroke count, still a poor swimmer.

Just recently, I started working with a coach @$40 per hour. Net result after just 2 sessions, reduced stroke count, better kick, faster.

Another very strong vote for individual coaching over TI.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!" Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Total Immersion program. Yes or no and why? I have considered signing up for a weekend program. Will it help me become a more efficient and better swimmer?

TI will help you become a more efficient and better swimmer but over time. One weekend will show you the basics but who will critique you when you're swimming on your own?

I came from practically no swimming background. I knew how to "swim" but I had no clue about technique. I did a few weekend-long swim clinics (not TI) and thought I was doing well. After these clinics, I would pound out laps in a pool by myself applying what I learned. A TI-certified Masters swim coach approaching me while I lumbered through these laps and soon I was his TI guinea pig. Instead of me swimming laps with the masters team, he had me doing TI drills during practice. He also knew I was a triathlete so we figured this would swimming method would be most effective. I did this for about 18 months.

Did I become a more efficient and better swimmer with TI? Absolutely. Could I hold my own in a lane with the slow masters people? Just barely! I didn't get speed until I joined another Masters team and I actually did the drills and intervals. Please know that TI concentrates on technique and not speed, at least in my experience. I would recommend TI if you're a new or newer swimmer but only if you had a coach who could work with you for more than a weekend. If you can get in the pool with a good Masters team and/or good swim coach, you may have the same effect.
Quote Reply
Read this thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironguide and Terry Laughlin hash it out:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC;

Personally, I think TI sucks twinkies...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've done ti and masters.

4 years ago, i had no swim background and went 1hr in my first 1/2 im swim. after t1, i was down to 40 minutes. however, i didn't improve much on my own after that. i joined masters but they just taught me how to thow more water out of the pool as i swam (less technique, more yards).

so i think t1 was totally worth it. i came away more comfortable and confident in the water. but i don' think it's the last word on swimming. if you have a really good local instructor or masters program that's a great option as well. go to the ti site and email terry - he'll be ahppy ot answer any questions.

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not much of a swimmer but have benefited from the TI program. I did not go with the week end approach as I felt it was too much information to be absorbed in 2 days.
Fortunately here in Houston there was TI instructor who has been giving me private lessons for about $50 more than a TI weekend and I am picking up probably addtional hour or two over the weekend program works out to approximately $50/ hour.

Also swimming in an endless pool which has been rather enjoyable and I think a good training tool.
Hope this helps.

fal7 in Houston
Quote Reply