Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom & others: Desert racing clothing options
Quote | Reply
I'm going to Badwater in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone had experience with different brands of sun protection clothing?

Sun Precautions has an SPF rating of 30 and is very popular in Badwater. These suits can be quite hot though.

Sunveil has an SPF rating of 15-24 and advertises that because their product breaths it is 10 degrees cooler wearing their suit than wearing nothing.

The last thing I want is to get fried from the sun during the run, and am concerned the Sunveil product may not give me as good protection. However, it might be good enough protection, and I like the idea that it appears to be cooler. Any experience with these brands?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom & others: Desert racing clothing options [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived and raced in Tucson for ~20 years, and here's a trick that worked for me. Get a long-sleeved cheap generic white cotton T-shirt, and keep it wet during the race. Cotton is well known for being a poor insulator when wet, and that's the characteristic you're taking advantage of here. I can tell you that it actually makes a very effective evaporative cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with Rail Riders although their clothing is not specifically intended at sun protection.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you put sunscreen beneath on your body?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom & others: Desert racing clothing options [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I've had good luck with Rail Riders although their clothing is not specifically intended at sun protection.[/reply]

I'll second Tom's suggestion. It's intended for sun use (30+ SPF accordig to the web site). I used the RailRiders EcoMesh shirt at the White Lake Half (NC; May) on the run...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. It was a hot sunny day and believe it or not, I was actually cooler with it on. I continued to sweat (and it evaporated very quickly) and it actually was VERY comfortable. As I passed people with little upper body coverage (who were getting roasted) I was glad I had the shirt. See

http://www.railriders.com/store/RailRiders___Men_s___ShirtsECM?Args=

I've never lived in AZ but I would had betted against the wet cotton shirt idea but I guess personal experience counts the most.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Tom & others: Desert racing clothing options [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone

Railrider has some nice looking stuff.

I was thinking Sunveil with sunscreen under it. The product looks like a mosquito net so is very breathable. The shirt has a double layer on the shoulders where higher SPF is needed.

Living in Canada there’s little opportunity to test out different clothing for the heat.
Quote Reply