Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ
Quote | Reply
Good, it's about time we return to racing and away from snowflake everyone wins mentality. Forces other athletes not to sand bag as you can still place. Would still like to hear from these 2 women on what were they thinking

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ic_preview_7381.html
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you lost me at snowflake. grow up.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can already tell you what they were thinking.

-racing for 1st meant nothing as they had no AQ ability. Everyone knows GTB is faster runner.

-their “showcase” for discretion spot was done when they + Duffy built an easy 2 min gap.

-they “training run” paced away from everyone in the front group on the run shoulder to shoulder.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DQ these two for this but ITU selectively overlook TUE use and "contaminated meat" excuses??
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:
DQ these two for this but ITU selectively overlook TUE use and "contaminated meat" excuses??

This is the world we live in. Follow the money.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlete.com/...d-to-get-dqed_382166

I shared this in the ITU discussion thread, but I think this is a pretty solid take on what went down... In terms of what they were thinking, my guess is that they weren't, and probably weren't aware of the rule and probably should be... I was watching the race from the trainer, and just hopped off for the last mile of the race, and my first reaction when they crossed the line was shit, when they linked hands and crossed the line, realizing that whether there was or wasn't a DSQ, it was going to be a shitstorm because of the rules as they are written...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys would never do this. That's totally sexist, but I think it's true.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:

Wow, haha, so true actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [trisam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're brothers. Doesn't count in my book.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sadly this pretty solid take is wasted on deaf ears to those who ignore logic and reason.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Guys would never do this. That's totally sexist, but I think it's true.

Scott Tinley and Scott Molina tied purposely at least once back in the day. They agreed during the run to share the first and second place $. I'm pretty sure Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers did the same and Shorter tied for first with Kenny Moore in the '72 Olympic marathon trials.

If that no long happens, what does that tell us?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 16, 19 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [trisam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here. is it that the decision would be different if it were men, or the Brownlees? Both of the races in those links were not ITU events, so you're talking apples and oranges in terms of rule enforcement... We can debate the merits of the rule until the cows come home, and to whether contrived ties are good or bad sportsmanship, but ultimately, the rule is there, it's clear, there's no grey area around what went down in terms of fitting to the rule as it was written, so the officials made the only call that they could (and even then, it wasn't a decision they took lightly...).

As an athlete, I once planned a contrived tie in a track meet as a teenager, me and another guy in the steeplechase had dropped the rest of the field, and the top 2 in the race qualified for the championship meet, so with a couple laps to go, it was clear that we would both qualify, so we agreed to cruise (since we both had other races that afternoon) the rest of the way and finish together... Over the water barrier on the last lap, he attacked me and caught me sleeping and ran away to the win (I got my revenge at the championship meet, where I made sure to drop him from our chase pack with a lap to go...). I see nothing philosophically wrong with a contrived tie, it's just that the rules forbid it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:

It's also worth noting that the ITU no longer makes their own rulings on doping infractions (announced early this year), they have outsourced to an independent group to make such rulings to prevent possible conflict of interest situations... So while that may not change past decisions, it's a really positive move, that more sports should follow...
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
sadly this pretty solid take is wasted on deaf ears to those who ignore logic and reason.

If you're referring to the triathlete article, it's a pretty lazy take. The underlying premise of the article is that the reason they tied is to somehow cheat the system and both get the gold medal. As brooks and I have both pointed out, it's pretty easy to set up the system to eliminate ties. Even if you allow ties, there's no Olympic gold medal at a test event. prize money can be split. If there are points on the line, those can be split rather than full first place points to both. etc...

the 2 of them had a clear lead over Flora. They're on the same team. So their race goals were accomplished when they knew that Flora wasn't coming back to them. If they want to shut it down and moonwalk across the line, so what?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here. is it that the decision would be different if it were men, or the Brownlees? Both of the races in those links were not ITU events, so you're talking apples and oranges in terms of rule enforcement... We can debate the merits of the rule until the cows come home, and to whether contrived ties are good or bad sportsmanship, but ultimately, the rule is there, it's clear, there's no grey area around what went down in terms of fitting to the rule as it was written, so the officials made the only call that they could (and even then, it wasn't a decision they took lightly...).

As an athlete, I once planned a contrived tie in a track meet as a teenager, me and another guy in the steeplechase had dropped the rest of the field, and the top 2 in the race qualified for the championship meet, so with a couple laps to go, it was clear that we would both qualify, so we agreed to cruise (since we both had other races that afternoon) the rest of the way and finish together... Over the water barrier on the last lap, he attacked me and caught me sleeping and ran away to the win (I got my revenge at the championship meet, where I made sure to drop him from our chase pack with a lap to go...). I see nothing philosophically wrong with a contrived tie, it's just that the rules forbid it...

He was responding to the guy who said that men would never do this.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

No, but I do ignore a take which tells me up front that it will "eviscerate any arguments stating otherwise"; sorry but that's for me to decide!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Good, it's about time we return to racing and away from snowflake everyone wins mentality. Forces other athletes not to sand bag as you can still place. Would still like to hear from these 2 women on what were they thinking

You literally have a website that is called coupleofathletes.com about you and your newly wed wife and how you're bonding, but you're calling them snowflakes... They are roommates, best friends, and just crushed everyone in the race. They'd dunk all over you. sit down and shut up
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after looking at the website, Synthetic does need to sit down and shut up!!!! good one emantell....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh this is glorious!
Quote Reply
Re: Tokyo ITU women 1 & 2 DQ [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The system itself does eliminate ties, look back to London, they had to go to thousandths of a second to split Spirig and Norden for Olympic gold and silver, the rule doesn't prevent tying, it prevents contrived ties...

I don't think their premise was to cheat the system, if anything it was more to give the system the middle finger, since it didn't matter what either of them did in the event, because it was shortened, neither could auto-qualify for the olympics, and there is no prize money at the test event... But based on both of posts from both Jess and Georgia on their social media, there was no ill-intent, they are friends and training partners, and they wanted to share the victory, realizing that whomever beat the other really changed nothing for them... Reading between the lines, it looked like they wanted to share the experience, who beat whom made no difference between them in terms of olympic selection, or prize money, or WTS standings, and they were unaware of the rule that meant those actions would result in a DSQ...

Again, I'm not defending the rule, because I'm not sure that i agree with it, but regardless, it's a rule that's clear and explicit in the rulebook at the moment, so it had to be enforced... I won't be shocked to see that rue being modified or removed in the next revision to the ITU rules...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emantell wrote:
synthetic wrote:

You literally have a website that is called coupleofathletes.com about you and your newly wed wife and how you're bonding, but you're calling them snowflakes... They are roommates, best friends, and just crushed everyone in the race. They'd dunk all over you. sit down and shut up

When we do a race together. I dont stop 3 feet before the finish line to cross with her. Or block the entire course with her from the start.... Minus pacing gigs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
emantell wrote:
synthetic wrote:

When we do a race together. I dont stop 3 feet before the finish line to cross with her. Or block the entire course with her from the start.... Minus pacing gigs
shhhh, just take your beating, snowflake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that they didn't know the rule... they were clear of the field and just crossed the line together.

Knowing the rule now, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they race it out given the chance again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
The system itself does eliminate ties, look back to London, they had to go to thousandths of a second to split Spirig and Norden for Olympic gold and silver, the rule doesn't prevent tying, it prevents contrived ties...

I don't think their premise was to cheat the system, if anything it was more to give the system the middle finger, since it didn't matter what either of them did in the event, because it was shortened, neither could auto-qualify for the olympics, and there is no prize money at the test event... But based on both of posts from both Jess and Georgia on their social media, there was no ill-intent, they are friends and training partners, and they wanted to share the victory, realizing that whomever beat the other really changed nothing for them... Reading between the lines, it looked like they wanted to share the experience, who beat whom made no difference between them in terms of olympic selection, or prize money, or WTS standings, and they were unaware of the rule that meant those actions would result in a DSQ...

Again, I'm not defending the rule, because I'm not sure that i agree with it, but regardless, it's a rule that's clear and explicit in the rulebook at the moment, so it had to be enforced... I won't be shocked to see that rue being modified or removed in the next revision to the ITU rules...

But how do you have a "contrived tie" if there is no realistic way to tie in the first place? That's what I'm getting at. If you can't actually tie, then there's no way to "contrive" a tie.

I don't even think it was about giving the system the middle finger. It was simply that they're friends.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next